Harman banned for speeding



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny Klunk

Guest
>>
Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined £400 after she admitted
speeding at 99mph on a motorway. The solicitor general was sentenced at North Wiltshire magistrates
court in her absence following the incident on the M4 motorway last month.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2748411.stm

Ok, this has got me annoyed. If these senior government legal officials won't take road laws
seriously, how on earth can we expect anyone else to? I had a really dangerous ride home tonight,
due to bad weather conditions in London (makes everyone drive like and idiot) and would really,
really, really like the government to take road safety seriously.

On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.
 
W

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
>On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.

But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd have
been banned for longer than 7 days????

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~
 
J

Just Zis Guy

Guest
On 11 Feb 2003 22:20:34 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
>have been banned for longer than 7 days????

Unless of course she had killed a cyclist while doing so, in which case a small fine and six points
would be the order of the day.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.
 
D

Dave

Guest
"Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >>
> Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined £400 after she admitted
> speeding at 99mph on a motorway. The solicitor general was sentenced at North Wiltshire
> magistrates court in her absence
following
> the incident on the M4 motorway last month. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2748411.stm
>
> Ok, this has got me annoyed. If these senior government legal officials won't take road laws
> seriously, how on earth can we expect anyone else to? I had a really dangerous ride home tonight,
> due to bad weather conditions
in
> London (makes everyone drive like and idiot) and would really, really, really like the government
> to take road safety seriously.
>
> On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.
>
>
7 days for 99 in a 70!! it's a token gesture....I got 6 months for 44 in a
30. I was slowing from 60 (country lane) to 30 (village), the 30 mph sign was a mile outside the
village, solid hedges, no footpaths, no sideturns, nice straight road, no chance of anyone
suddenly appearing from nowhere. ('part from the pigs hiding in a car park on the edge of the
village!!) Despite all the calls for leniency, letters from boss, threats of loss of job,
additional drain on social security, including lack of maintenance payments to cover ex-wife &
kids, lack of a grand a month into the national coffers (tax, etc.) the bastards still decided
to ban me....and they wonder why I hate the Scots!! - north of Inverness nothing better to do
all day, especially if ye've a sassenach accent, blah, blah...still, at least on the positive
side, at least it got me back on my bike and investigating the black market culture, so that one
day I can hopefully make as much as the corrupt bastards that run this fair land!! ;-)
ahem....I'll get me bike.....
 
N

Nick Kew

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
>>On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.
>
> But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
> have been banned for longer than 7 days????

You really think so? I doubt that happens often. I don't use motorways myself, but in my book
speeding on them is much less serious than doing the same on smaller rural or urban roads.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!
 
R

Richard Goodman

Guest
Dave wrote:
:::::
:: 7 days for 99 in a 70!! it's a token gesture....I got 6 months for 44 in a 30. I was slowing
:: from 60 (country lane) to 30 (village), the 30 mph sign was a mile outside the village, solid
:: hedges, no

Ah well, them's the breaks. Sounds like you were really unlucky, if it was just pure speeding with
no aggravating factors. I actually don't feel she was dealt with particularly leniently - I get the
feeling that penalties very a lot from court to court, but it's not that unusual to escape a ban on
a motorway until you're doing over the ton.

Rich
 
P

Paul - XXX

Guest
Nick Kew deftly scribbled:

> In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
> of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
>>> On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get
>>> let off.
>>
>> But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
>> have been banned for longer than 7 days????
>
> You really think so? I doubt that happens often. I don't use motorways myself, but in my book
> speeding on them is much less serious than doing the same on smaller rural or urban roads.

I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1411 wu in 10202 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm
 
M

Michael Macclan

Guest
Paul - *** wrote:
> I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
> wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.

I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot of
time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.

I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful penalty
for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
--
Michael MacClancy
 
A

Arthur Clune

Guest
wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

: But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
: have been banned for longer than 7 days????

Actually, I have a more suspicious mind than that. Notice that is *99* mph, not 100. Doing 100mph is
rather more serious.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org Power is delightful. Absolute power is absolutely delightful -
Lord Lester
 
T

The Big Baguett

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> writes
>Paul - *** wrote:
>> I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
>> wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.
>
>I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot of
>time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.
>
>I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful
>penalty for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
>--
What's all the fuss about? Just shoot the woman
--
The Big Baguette
 
M

Marc

Guest
Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

> : But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
> : have been banned for longer than 7 days????
>
> Actually, I have a more suspicious mind than that. Notice that is *99* mph, not 100.

I agree, inexactly the same way I agreeded with the police officer that handed me a ticket for 99
MPH, we both knew what the real speed was. We both knew I would argue it in court if it was
mentioned.

-- Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
 
D

Dave

Guest
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On 11 Feb 2003 22:20:34 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
>
> >But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman
caught
> >doing 90, she'd have been banned for longer than 7 days????
>
> Unless of course she had killed a cyclist while doing so, in which case a small fine and six
> points would be the order of the day.
>
> Guy

Do we get to cut her goolies off ?!!?

Dave (somewhat confused....)
 
M

Marc

Guest
Frank <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I agree, inexactly the same way I agreeded with the police officer that handed me a ticket for
> > 99 MPH, we both knew what the real speed was. We both knew I would argue it in court if it was
> > mentioned.
> >
> What was the real speed. Speedo's aren't that acurate or were you going 110mph?

Car speeds' aren't , rally tripmeters are( Measured off a non driving wheel disc bolt) ,I was doing
about /// mph, I didn't really have time to look , but that was the maximum speed that the
tripmeter recorded
 
M

Marc

Guest
The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot
> >of time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.
> >
> >I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful
> >penalty for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
> >--
> What's all the fuss about? Just shoot the woman

Coudn't we just do that as soon as they stand for election?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.