Harman banned for speeding

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Johnny Klunk, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined £400 after she admitted
    speeding at 99mph on a motorway. The solicitor general was sentenced at North Wiltshire magistrates
    court in her absence following the incident on the M4 motorway last month.

    Ok, this has got me annoyed. If these senior government legal officials won't take road laws
    seriously, how on earth can we expect anyone else to? I had a really dangerous ride home tonight,
    due to bad weather conditions in London (makes everyone drive like and idiot) and would really,
    really, really like the government to take road safety seriously.

    On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.

    Tags:

  2. >On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.

    But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd have
    been banned for longer than 7 days????

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 11 Feb 2003 22:20:34 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
    >have been banned for longer than 7 days????

    Unless of course she had killed a cyclist while doing so, in which case a small fine and six points
    would be the order of the day.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Johnny Klunk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined £400 after she admitted
    > speeding at 99mph on a motorway. The solicitor general was sentenced at North Wiltshire
    > magistrates court in her absence
    following
    > the incident on the M4 motorway last month. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2748411.stm
    >
    > Ok, this has got me annoyed. If these senior government legal officials won't take road laws
    > seriously, how on earth can we expect anyone else to? I had a really dangerous ride home tonight,
    > due to bad weather conditions
    in
    > London (makes everyone drive like and idiot) and would really, really, really like the government
    > to take road safety seriously.
    >
    > On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.

    7 days for 99 in a 70!! it's a token gesture....I got 6 months for 44 in a
    30. I was slowing from 60 (country lane) to 30 (village), the 30 mph sign was a mile outside the
    village, solid hedges, no footpaths, no sideturns, nice straight road, no chance of anyone
    suddenly appearing from nowhere. ('part from the pigs hiding in a car park on the edge of the
    village!!) Despite all the calls for leniency, letters from boss, threats of loss of job,
    additional drain on social security, including lack of maintenance payments to cover ex-wife &
    kids, lack of a grand a month into the national coffers (tax, etc.) the bastards still decided
    to ban me....and they wonder why I hate the Scots!! - north of Inverness nothing better to do
    all day, especially if ye've a sassenach accent, blah, blah...still, at least on the positive
    side, at least it got me back on my bike and investigating the black market culture, so that one
    day I can hopefully make as much as the corrupt bastards that run this fair land!! ;-)
    ahem....I'll get me bike.....

  5. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >>On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get let off.
    >
    > But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
    > have been banned for longer than 7 days????

    You really think so? I doubt that happens often. I don't use motorways myself, but in my book
    speeding on them is much less serious than doing the same on smaller rural or urban roads.

    --
    Wear your paunch with pride!

  6. Dave wrote:
    :::::
    :: 7 days for 99 in a 70!! it's a token gesture....I got 6 months for 44 in a 30. I was slowing
    :: from 60 (country lane) to 30 (village), the 30 mph sign was a mile outside the village, solid
    :: hedges, no

    Ah well, them's the breaks. Sounds like you were really unlucky, if it was just pure speeding with
    no aggravating factors. I actually don't feel she was dealt with particularly leniently - I get the
    feeling that penalties very a lot from court to court, but it's not that unusual to escape a ban on
    a motorway until you're doing over the ton.

    Rich

  7. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Nick Kew deftly scribbled:

    > In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    > of [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >>> On the other hand - its great she's been dealt with, rather than calling a friend to get
    >>> let off.
    >>
    >> But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
    >> have been banned for longer than 7 days????
    >
    > You really think so? I doubt that happens often. I don't use motorways myself, but in my book
    > speeding on them is much less serious than doing the same on smaller rural or urban roads.

    I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
    wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1411 wu in 10202 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ http://graffiti.virgin.net/ar.sole/Index.htm

  8. Paul - xxx wrote:
    > I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
    > wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.

    I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot of
    time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.

    I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful penalty
    for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    : But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
    : have been banned for longer than 7 days????

    Actually, I have a more suspicious mind than that. Notice that is *99* mph, not 100. Doing 100mph is
    rather more serious.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Paul - xxx wrote:
    >> I've been done at 97 on a motorway and only got three points and a statutory fine .. So no, she
    >> wasn't treated better than anyone else, she was, in my view, treated fairly.
    >
    >I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot of
    >time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.
    >
    >I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful
    >penalty for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
    >--
    What's all the fuss about? Just shoot the woman
    --
    The Big Baguette

  11. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Arthur Clune <[email protected]> wrote:

    > : But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman caught doing 90, she'd
    > : have been banned for longer than 7 days????
    >
    > Actually, I have a more suspicious mind than that. Notice that is *99* mph, not 100.

    I agree, inexactly the same way I agreeded with the police officer that handed me a ticket for 99
    MPH, we both knew what the real speed was. We both knew I would argue it in court if it was
    mentioned.

    -- Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
    associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  12. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1fq9vla.60j3961w690fkN%[email protected]...
    > I agree, inexactly the same way I agreeded with the police officer that handed me a ticket for 99
    > MPH, we both knew what the real speed was. We both knew I would argue it in court if it was
    > mentioned.

    What was the real speed. Speedo's aren't that acurate or were you going 110mph?

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On 11 Feb 2003 22:20:34 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
    >
    > >But why do I have a sneaking suspicion that if she were plain Mrs Harman
    caught
    > >doing 90, she'd have been banned for longer than 7 days????
    >
    > Unless of course she had killed a cyclist while doing so, in which case a small fine and six
    > points would be the order of the day.
    >
    > Guy

    Do we get to cut her goolies off ?!!?

    Dave (somewhat confused....)

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Frank <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > I agree, inexactly the same way I agreeded with the police officer that handed me a ticket for
    > > 99 MPH, we both knew what the real speed was. We both knew I would argue it in court if it was
    > > mentioned.
    > >
    > What was the real speed. Speedo's aren't that acurate or were you going 110mph?

    Car speeds' aren't , rally tripmeters are( Measured off a non driving wheel disc bolt) ,I was doing
    about /// mph, I didn't really have time to look , but that was the maximum speed that the
    tripmeter recorded

  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >I very much doubt whether a 7 day ban will even register on Ms Harman. She probably spends a lot
    > >of time in ministerial vehicles or trains or on planes.
    > >
    > >I suggest that a compulsory resit of the theory section of the driving test is a more useful
    > >penalty for this sort of offence, with licence removal if you fail.
    > >--
    > What's all the fuss about? Just shoot the woman

    Coudn't we just do that as soon as they stand for election?