HARO bikes

edwperal

Guest
I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!

Thanks

I'm assuming you are referring to mountain bikes, as this is alt.m-b.
That said I'd avoid them, especially in the low-end arena. My first 5
or so MTB's were Haro's. Haro bought all but the first. All of them
combined lasted less than one year.

I started with a Vector V1. Within a week I'd snapped a crank arm.
New crank, and I bent the forks next time out. A few months later I
was sick of going back to the shop, sick of getting hurt when the bike
failed, and sick of walking my parts home.
They eventually got me to the top of the line V-series (V5 I believe)
and I broke that too, though I can't recall if it was frame or fork.
When I got my new one (still gratis, props to Haro) I sold it without
riding it. I then quit the MTB thing and went back to 20" for
another few years, until I was ready to come into this sport properly.

In all fairness, Haro & the shop both handled things great. I can't
imagine Haro was anywhere but in the red on the deal by the time they
issued me the 5th bike. I never heard a whisper of complaint from them
or the shop. Still, I get the feeling they are walgoose level bikes.
They may be the cat's pajamas for a dad's annual lap of the block,
or a couple middle aged soccer moms doing a few miles on the fire road
to stay in shape. They certainly looked fine to a young kid who loved
to ride, and rode hard every day. Turns out that they are not fine,
IME, for any real riding. Alas....

As I expect everyone here will tell you, you can find a "real" bike
used for the cost of a walgoose/haro/whatever new. IME, if you throw
in the cost of the first repair or two on the cheap bike, and this is
about the case. I'd def. endorse spending the extra scratch.

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm assuming you are referring to mountain bikes, as this is alt.m-b.
> That said I'd avoid them, especially in the low-end arena. My first 5
> or so MTB's were Haro's. Haro bought all but the first. All of them
> combined lasted less than one year.

That is some unusually bad luck or possibly just the wrong tool for the
job.

> I started with a Vector V1.

It is often hard to find any bike at the under 300.00 price point that
will handle hard trail riding. Not impossible ... just difficult.

>Within a week I'd snapped a crank arm.
> New crank, and I bent the forks next time out.

That is the typical sort of spec problem you would expect on a bike at
that price point. It is not really a Haro problem as much as a problem
with any bike at that price point, with those components.

> A few months later I
> was sick of going back to the shop, sick of getting hurt when the bike
> failed, and sick of walking my parts home.
> They eventually got me to the top of the line V-series (V5 I believe)
> and I broke that too, though I can't recall if it was frame or fork.

The V5 is actually ...almost ... a trail worthy bike. But even Haro
points out that V series bikes are intended for "easy to moderate
riding on bike paths and dirt roads."

Definitely not a Jump or big hit bike but as far as the V5's price
point goes, it compares well to the Raliegh M80 or Specialized
Rockhopper Disc.

> When I got my new one (still gratis, props to Haro) I sold it without
> riding it. I then quit the MTB thing and went back to 20" for
> another few years, until I was ready to come into this sport properly.
>

> In all fairness, Haro & the shop both handled things great. I can't
> imagine Haro was anywhere but in the red on the deal by the time they
> issued me the 5th bike. I never heard a whisper of complaint from them
> or the shop.

Sounds like the shop wasn't selling you the correct bike for the type
of riding you were doing.

> Still, I get the feeling they are walgoose level bikes.

You bought an intro priced bike that was designed to be ridden on bike
paths, and thats what you got. Even the V1 is miles above anything sold
through pacific/big box inc.

Haro makes bikes in all the major price points. The Werx, Sonix, and
Thread lines seem to do very well. Then again the V series seem to do
pretty well for bikes at there level and intended purpose.

Too bad the OP didn't mention what model he was after, or the type of
riding he was intending on doing.

> They may be the cat's pajamas for a dad's annual lap of the block,
> or a couple middle aged soccer moms doing a few miles on the fire road
> to stay in shape. They certainly looked fine to a young kid who loved
> to ride, and rode hard every day. Turns out that they are not fine,
> IME, for any real riding. Alas....

Wrong tool for the job ... that is to say they had you driving nails
with a pair of pliers.

> As I expect everyone here will tell you, you can find a "real" bike
> used for the cost of a walgoose/haro/whatever new. IME, if you throw
> in the cost of the first repair or two on the cheap bike, and this is
> about the case. I'd def. endorse spending the extra scratch.

You get what you play for ... for that matter Haro also owns Masi.

I will say that my background with Haro is strictly XC and that the
Mary SS is a sturdy bike, and nicely spec'd at its price point.

One of the things I will say about Haro, is that I like their honesty.
Grab one of their catalogs and look at the bike descriptions. Not only
do they point out that the V series is intended for "Easy to moderate
riding on bike paths", they also have such quotes as: (about their
freeride bikes) "Not designed for all day epic cross-country rides."
(about their DH bikes) "Bikes in ths category are designed to be ridden
down the mountain, not up it."

(Nothing from the above had anything to do with the beer and sake....
don't be touch'n my monkey balls.)

>>That is some unusually bad luck or possibly just the wrong tool for the job.

I'd say the latter, as I feel most low end bikes are the wrong tool
for the job of trail riding.

>>It is often hard to find any bike at the under 300.00 price point that will handle hard trail riding. Not impossible ... just difficult.

In my experience it's been impossible, but for ~$500 I've seen a
few deals on used rides.

>>That is the typical sort of spec problem you would expect on a bike at that price point. It is not really a Haro problem as much as a problem with any bike at that price point, with those components.

I agree. That's why I suggested to the OP that they may be able to
find a more suitable bike used for similar money, and save themselves
the headache I had trying to half-step into this style of riding. I
was assuming that posting here, the OP intended to use the bike for
some trail riding, if not something more extreme than that (if nothing
else for fear of being flamed & "called out" by the resident
wankers). I did mention that the V series may be the cat's PJ's
for dirt roads and laps of the block, but they are not up to any real
trail riding.

>>The V5 is actually ...almost ... a trail worthy bike. But even Haro points out that V series bikes are intended for "easy to moderate riding on bike paths and dirt roads."

I beg to differ on the trail worthiness of the V5, but concede that
the trail in question is a deciding factor. I was not aware, however,
the description that Haro provides for the V series. If I were, I
would not have made the purchase. I never saw a brochure. I wonder if
the OP did? I am surprised they replaced so many failures without
someone pointing out to me that the bike was not being used for its
advertised & intended purpose.

>>Definitely not a Jump or big hit bike but as far as the V5's price point goes, it compares well to the Raliegh M80 or Specialized Rockhopper Disc.

I have not ridden the other bikes listed. I will add, however, that
the V5 is also not a "moderate drop" bike.

>>Sounds like the shop wasn't selling you the correct bike for the type of riding you were doing.

Agreed. My underlying point was that the low end Haro's, which I
believe to consist of the V series, are not worth mountain bikes. As
mentioned, they may be suitable for dirt roads & laps of the block.
They do not hold up to harder riding. This is why I feel at that price
point, the money would be better spent (assuming actual trail use) on a
higher quality used bike.

>>You bought an intro priced bike that was designed to be ridden on bike paths, and thats what you got.

I agree. My post was to keep the OP from making the same mistake.
I've said enough about dirt roads & laps of the block; I'm merely
stating that the bike is not trailworthy. You don't seem to be
disputing this so much as taking offense to my stating it.

>>Even the V1 is miles above anything sold through pacific/big box inc.

I've not ridden either brand, so I can't compare. I can compare it
to my dad's walgoose, and I'd say they're about the same. Fine
for a lap of the block or a dirt road, but II wouldn't take either to
a trail.

>>Haro makes bikes in all the major price points. The Werx, Sonix, and Thread lines seem to do very well. Then again the V series seem to do pretty well for bikes at there level and intended purpose.

I've no experience with any of these, so cannot make a reasonable
judgement. My experience & comments were limited to the V series
bikes. I thought that was clear, but I'll reiterate it now.

>>Too bad the OP didn't mention what model he was after, or the type of riding he was intending on doing.

Indeed.

>>Wrong tool for the job ... that is to say they had you driving nails with a pair of pliers.

I'd agree. The V-series is not the proper tool for trail riding, or
any actual MTBing. I was not aware it was marketed as such.

>>You get what you play for ... for that matter Haro also owns Masi.

You sure do. That's why when you can't (or don't want to) come
up with the scratch to come correct, it's sometimes wiser to scour
the used market.

>>I will say that my background with Haro is strictly XC and that the Mary SS is a sturdy bike, and nicely spec'd at its price point.

My MTB background is primarily XC as well. I can't speak on the
Mary, but it seems we agree the V series is not the bike for XC riding.

>>One of the things I will say about Haro, is that I like their honesty. Grab one of their catalogs and look at the bike descriptions. Not only do they point out that the V series is intended for "Easy to moderate riding on bike paths", they also have such quotes as: (about their freeride bikes) "Not designed for all day epic cross-country rides."

(about their DH bikes) "Bikes in ths category are designed to be ridden
down the mountain, not up it."

That's the way the business should be. In speaking the praises of
Haro, I'd start with their warrantee policy. As I said, they gave me
bike after bike with no fuss & an upgrade every time. Maybe they would
have saved money giving me a mary after the second replacement?

D. Funny how that works out, R&D. I suppose I should have researched
the V series before buying. In my teen years I didn't think about
anything, much less research it. Oh well...

>>(Nothing from the above had anything to do with the beer and sake....

That's unfortunate. Swing by NH, I'll buy you a post-ride brew and
we can wax lyrical from that perspective.

>>don't be touch'n my monkey balls.

a) MY monkey. Not the thing between your legs, the monkey. Mine.
b) Want nothing to do with your balls, you're safe there.

edwperal wrote:
> I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
> only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
> heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
>
> Thanks

Haro has been around since at least the early 80's. Bob Haro was a
bigtime BMX freestyle rider who started his own brand. The bikes from
the 80's were top of the line and likely made in California. Since then
the bikes have become more generic and Taiwanese (as did every other
brand that survived), with some high-end frames made by boutique US
builders (I think they used to rebadge some Intense models.)

I'm actually passively poking around for a 2005 Haro Escape 2.0. I
rented one out in Santa Fe earlier this year and after a few days on it
I found it to be a great trail bike with a fit that pointed out many of
the deficiencies of my current (and significantly blingier) bike. The
parts are so-so (low end SRAM, cheapo 110mm Manitou fork, low end
Truvativ cranks) but they worked very nicely and might last me a couple
seasons (or I can craigslist them/recycleabicycle.org them/swap parts
out with my other bikes.)

If any of you guys are shop owners and have one of these puppies
sitting around in size Large, lemme know.

Anyway, can't speak for any other current models (and the Escape 2.0
has either been discontinued or the frame has been changed, I can't
remember), but I'm sure a fan of the one I rented....

/s

On 13 Dec 2006 11:03:59 -0800, "edwperal" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
>only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
>heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
>
>Thanks

I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.

Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
for me.

My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
Guess I'm too fat. ;)

Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
'cheapness'.

My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4

later,

tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

"Tom The Great" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 13 Dec 2006 11:03:59 -0800, "edwperal" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
> >only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
> >heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
> >
> >Thanks

> I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.
>
> Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
> functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
> for me.
>
> My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
> hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
> had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
> Guess I'm too fat. ;)
>
> Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
> 'cheapness'.
>
> My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4
>
> later,
>
> tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

"My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want."

Replace the front brakes with Avid mech. disc and you
won't have that problem.

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:37:52 -0800, "Zilla"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom The Great" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On 13 Dec 2006 11:03:59 -0800, "edwperal" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
>> >only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
>> >heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
>> >
>> >Thanks

>> I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.
>>
>> Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
>> functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
>> for me.
>>
>> My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
>> hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
>> had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
>> Guess I'm too fat. ;)
>>
>> Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
>> 'cheapness'.
>>
>> My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4
>>
>> later,
>>
>> tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com
>>

>"My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want."
>
>Replace the front brakes with Avid mech. disc and you
>won't have that problem.

Oh yes, I've received much advice about replacing them, just that I
was talking 'out of the box' options.

thx,

tom

Tom The Great wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2006 11:03:59 -0800, "edwperal" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
> >only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
> >heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
> >
> >Thanks

> I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.
>
> Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
> functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
> for me.
>
> My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
> hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
> had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
> Guess I'm too fat. ;)
>
> Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
> 'cheapness'.
>
> My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4
>
> later,
>
> tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

Hmm.... You don't use the front brake often? And when you do, you want
them to lock up? I'd say I'm at the complete opposite end of the
spectrum on both counts.

/s

On 18 Dec 2006 08:43:18 -0800, "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom The Great wrote:
>> On 13 Dec 2006 11:03:59 -0800, "edwperal" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >I've never heard about this brand before, i saw one that I like not
>> >only becasue of the features but the $$ also. if you own one or have
>> >heard someting about them, can you share your comments please?!
>> >
>> >Thanks

>> I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.
>>
>> Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
>> functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
>> for me.
>>
>> My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
>> hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
>> had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
>> Guess I'm too fat. ;)
>>
>> Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
>> 'cheapness'.
>>
>> My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4
>>
>> later,
>>
>> tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

>Hmm.... You don't use the front brake often? And when you do, you want
>them to lock up? I'd say I'm at the complete opposite end of the
>spectrum on both counts.
>
>/s

I'm more 'frightened' of using the front brakes on the trails, bad
experience. However when playing around the town, I have tred to
'lock up' the front brakes and no lock up. The brakes work to stop
me, but I can't do an endo.

But that is my ownly complaint. They modulate well, little pressure,
little braking, lot of pressure, lot of braking, just no front
skidding, or endo.

later,

tom

Tom The Great wrote:
> On 18 Dec 2006 08:43:18 -0800, "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Tom The Great wrote:

>>>I got a 06 Haro v4. I felt it was a great purchase, well worth.
>>>
>>>Now so you can understand my option, I like basic design, and
>>>functionality. Not a do-dad fan, so even the J1 forks are ok are ok
>>>for me.
>>>
>>>My only dislike, the front brakes don't catch as well as I want. I
>>>hardly use them, but when I try and lock them up, they don't. I've
>>>had one pad replacement, free from my LBS, and it's still 'weak'.
>>>Guess I'm too fat. ;)
>>>
>>>Some complaints I've heard, the forks ofcourse, and the seat's
>>>'cheapness'.
>>>
>>>My options are mine, and only assocated with my bike. 06HAROV4
>>>
>>>later,
>>>
>>>tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com

>>Hmm.... You don't use the front brake often? And when you do, you want
>>them to lock up? I'd say I'm at the complete opposite end of the
>>spectrum on both counts.
>>
>>/s

> I'm more 'frightened' of using the front brakes on the trails, bad
> experience. However when playing around the town, I have tred to
> 'lock up' the front brakes and no lock up. The brakes work to stop
> me, but I can't do an endo.
>
> But that is my ownly complaint. They modulate well, little pressure,
> little braking, lot of pressure, lot of braking, just no front
> skidding, or endo.
>
> later,
>
> tom

Proper technique uses mostly front brake and just a little rear. As long
as you shift your weight back appropriately your front brake can
(almost) only help with control, crash avoidance, and not skidding that
rear wheel. The first two points are mostly about you, but the last is
good for everyone as a skidding rear wheel is hard on the trails and
should always be avoided.
So get over your past trauma and use that front brake!

Matt

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:23:48 -0700, MattB <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Tom The Great wrote:
>> On 18 Dec 2006 08:43:18 -0800, "Scott Gordo" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>>Hmm.... You don't use the front brake often? And when you do, you want
>>>them to lock up? I'd say I'm at the complete opposite end of the
>>>spectrum on both counts.
>>>
>>>/s

>> I'm more 'frightened' of using the front brakes on the trails, bad
>> experience. However when playing around the town, I have tred to
>> 'lock up' the front brakes and no lock up. The brakes work to stop
>> me, but I can't do an endo.
>>
>> But that is my ownly complaint. They modulate well, little pressure,
>> little braking, lot of pressure, lot of braking, just no front
>> skidding, or endo.
>>
>> later,
>>
>> tom

>Proper technique uses mostly front brake and just a little rear. As long
>as you shift your weight back appropriately your front brake can
>(almost) only help with control, crash avoidance, and not skidding that
>rear wheel. The first two points are mostly about you, but the last is
>good for everyone as a skidding rear wheel is hard on the trails and
>should always be avoided.
>So get over your past trauma and use that front brake!
>
>Matt

Thanks for the therapy. :D

As for the front brakes, I plan on using them only when I need them.
They work, just no endo's. :(

Oh, everyone, Merry Christmas!!!!!

later,

tom

Tom The Great wrote:
> As for the front brakes, I plan on using them only when I need them.

If you're not using your front brake regularly on a ride, you need to
learn how to use it.

JD