Haro Extreme X2 - good bike???

mikefrommi

Jul 25, 2003
I can get a Haro Extreme X2 for around $700 on sale from a LBS. Is this a decent bike frame? Components (derailers, etc.) I can upgrade at the LBS (for a minor upgrade cost) before taking it home, so not too worried about that. I like the fact that it has mech. discs and not hydraulic to hopefully keep the break downs on the trail at an easier fix.

I've also looked at the Jamis Dakar Sport but it is almost twice the money at a different LBS and the components aren't as good.

Originally posted by mikefrommi
I can get a Haro Extreme X2 for around $700 on sale from a LBS. Is this a decent bike frame? Components (derailers, etc.) I can upgrade at the LBS (for a minor upgrade cost) before taking it home, so not too worried about that. I like the fact that it has mech. discs and not hydraulic to hopefully keep the break downs on the trail at an easier fix.

I've also looked at the Jamis Dakar Sport but it is almost twice the money at a different LBS and the components aren't as good.

My friend has one, it seems to be an awesome bike. Pretty good deal too.

Originally posted by JoshXRMongoose
My friend has one, it seems to be an awesome bike. Pretty good deal too.

Australian Mountain Bike magazine reviewed the bike recently and the review was certainly good enough to get my attention. Try get yourself a copy of the mag if you can. They liked it, and for the price I can't say I've seen anything better.

I'd worry about the x-fusion rear shock, never having heard much if anything about them, but that's about it. The Avid mechs get good reviews everywhere they go.

Hope this helps. None of it is based on first hand knowledge so take it with a grain of salt.

I've got a year 2000 Extreme EX2 and am very happy with it. I'm just starting to upgrade items on it. It is heavy but not overly for what I do.

It certainly was the best value for money bike I could get at the time and still is from what I see on the market now.

Paul

do you think the X1 is decent for the price? I know the frame is the same for all the extremes, but component-wise do you think it's good for $500

Originally posted by masonicman
do you think the X1 is decent for the price? I know the frame is the same for all the extremes, but component-wise do you think it's good for $500

I reckon that's a great bike for $500. Can you really get it for $500? I'm quite jealous. I'm sure it costs way more in Oz.

Originally posted by masonicman
anyone seen the new extreme bikes for '04? what do you guys think about those?

Haven't seen them....how about the 05, 06, 07, etc bikes?....wanna wait to see what people think, or are you gonna' buy a bike and ride it...K.I.S.S.:rolleyes: