Harrassment?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. I did my usual ten-minute ride from work to Durham station at 4:30 last night. There are usually
    plenty of dickheads and close overtaking at that time but last night was a bit different. I get to
    the main lights I have to go through and pass the cars (safely) up to the stop line, and stop. It's
    an odd crossroads in that the main flow is around one of the 90 degree turns, thus when the lights
    change there are no oncoming or turning cars on the junction.

    So, lights change and I put my foot down to pull off away from the car at the front of the queue.
    The junction itself has some broken tarmac so I tend to keep a wide (to the right) line across to
    avoid the pot holes and then once I'm across I usually stay in the primary position. The road at
    this point has standing traffic queueing in the oncoming lane and it is narrow with bends, grates
    and junctions on both sides, I go down this road as fast as the cars if I am behind one so my
    position isn't normally isn't a problem.

    Last night though the car behind started sounding his horn at me. I had no intention of pulling left
    until further down the road where it might be safe for it to overtake so I just kept going as
    normal. As I passed the zebra crossing I pulled in a bit, he then overtook me on the crossing.

    I was annoyed but thought that was the last of it as I took a left and he carried straight on.
    However, as I get around to the station approach I see the car again---he's going to the station
    but he took a different route. I need to turn left into the approach, he needs to turn right. He
    flashes several times at me and then turns in front of me but immediately stops at an angle to
    prevent me passing.

    At this stage I assume a 6'5" skinhead with a baseball bat is going to get out and I quickly review
    my options. I end up stopping because I had no choice, I glanced at the driver to see whether to
    turn around and exercise my yellow streak. I see a 60 year old man shouting at me across his
    passenger. I decide that I might as well ask him what the problem is.

    He claimed I was "all over the place". I wasn't but still not a reason to pip. I explained that I
    was cycling in the primary position as it was not safe for him to pass. He pointed out that as a
    cyclist I was "not allowed to lead the traffic." I must admit to being a bit baffled at this and
    suggested that the police might like to interpret his actions. I referred him to Cyclecraft and
    mentioned the HC. He then told me that he was an ex-police officer and knew the rules of the road. I
    suggested he didn't. I might have used a few expletives along the way. Anyway, he gave up arguing
    and drove off towards the station.

    If he was a copper then I sincerely hope he wasn't a traffic cop.

    I'm still wondering if it is worth reporting, not for the original use of the horn but for the
    subsequent harrassment.

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    > no choice, I glanced at the driver to see whether to turn around and exercise my yellow streak.

    Yes, you should have pissed through his window.

    > If he was a copper then I sincerely hope he wasn't a traffic cop.
    >
    > I'm still wondering if it is worth reporting, not for the original use of the horn but for the
    > subsequent harrassment.

    Do you know the handshake?

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > He claimed I was "all over the place". I wasn't but still not a reason to pip. I explained that
    > I was cycling in the primary position as it was not safe for him to pass. He pointed out that
    > as a cyclist I was "not allowed to lead the traffic." I must admit to being a bit baffled at
    > this and suggested that the police might like to interpret his actions. I referred him to
    > Cyclecraft and mentioned the HC. He then told me that he was an ex-police officer and knew the
    > rules of the road...

    <snip>

    > If he was a copper then I sincerely hope he wasn't a traffic cop.
    >
    > I'm still wondering if it is worth reporting, not for the original use of the horn but for the
    > subsequent harrassment.

    I certainly would as it was tantamount to impersonating a police officer.

    I'm sure the police would not take lightly to such a d*cKhead using their name as a means to
    intimidate and harrass you, whether he was an ex or not.

    John B

  4. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:40:05 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I see a 60 year old man shouting at me across his passenger.

    Wearing a hat ? Driving a Rover ? Barely able to see over the wheel ?

    Cagers just get senile eventually (not always so young). There's little you can do about them - but
    Viz' "Major Misunderstanding" strip might cheer you up a little.

    I live near a hump-backed bridge which is narrow, has a bend in the middle, and is protected by
    traffic lights. I _always_ use the whole lane across the narrow bit, because the idiot who tries to
    overtake there is still far too common.

  5. "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > ..... He pointed out that as a cyclist I was "not allowed to lead the traffic." I must admit to
    > being a bit baffled at this.....

    It would surely mean that you would be required to stop if traffic was anywhere behind you. This
    could however be quite hazardous if the car behind had poor brakes!

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > He claimed I was [...] "not allowed to lead the traffic."

    This is, of course, Complete Bollocks(TM). The bloke was clearly a stranger to the rules of the road
    (so no surprises there). It is just possible he was a retired copper, but more likely that was also
    Complete Bollocks.

    I have been told in the past with great authority that I must stop pedalling while being overtaken.
    Also Complete Bollocks. And that I must stop and let following vehicles pass, which is so far
    distorted from the real situation as to be Complete Bollocks too.

    I just wish these cagers would devote as much brain space to remembering the Highway Code as they do
    to their treasured collection of Complete Bollocks[1]. Maybe then they would realise that they have
    one or two responsibilities themselves.

    [1] Of the kind mentioned herein, not the kind to be forcibly removed following transgressions.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  7. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    Absolutely right. It is well known that a cyclist is "not allowed to lead the traffic". I witnessed
    a disgraceful scene outside my work recently. Half the road was dug up for a distance of a couple of
    hundred metres. The remaining half (a single lane) was controlled by temporary lights. A cyclist had
    the temerity to "lead the traffic" through the roadworks. There was no room for the poor drivers to
    overtake the non-road-tax-paying-free-riding-leech, so the first one in the queue following the
    aformentioned NRTPFRL sounded his horn for the entire length of the roadworks, thus complying with
    the Highway Code section which allows motorists not to pay any attention to the Code. Distressingly,
    the NRTPFRL seemed not to be trying to go very fast, despite the perfectly reasonable honking from
    behind him. In fact I would swear that there was a negative correlation between the honking and the
    resulting speed of cycling. A strange phenomenom, which I invite anyone to explain. :)

    Peter.

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Absolutely right. It is well known that a cyclist is "not allowed to lead the traffic". I
    > witnessed a disgraceful scene outside my work recently. Half the road was dug up for a distance of
    > a couple of hundred metres.
    The
    > remaining half (a single lane) was controlled by temporary lights. A cyclist had the temerity to
    > "lead the traffic" through the roadworks.
    There
    > was no room for the poor drivers to overtake the non-road-tax-paying-free-riding-leech, so the
    > first one in the queue following the aformentioned NRTPFRL sounded his horn for the entire length
    > of the roadworks, thus complying with the Highway Code section which
    allows
    > motorists not to pay any attention to the Code. Distressingly, the NRTPFRL seemed not to be trying
    > to go very fast, despite the perfectly reasonable honking from behind him. In fact I would swear
    > that there was
    > negative correlation between the honking and the resulting speed of
    cycling.
    > A strange phenomenom, which I invite anyone to explain. :)

    My car does the same when tailgated, the closer the tailgater the slower my car goes. I think it's a
    safety feature that automatically kicks in to slow my car when it senses the close proximity of
    another vehicle as it assumes a collision is possible so an adjustment is made to lessen the impact
    speed. I assume the technology has been stolen and applied to the bicycle in question in the
    tradition of NRTPFRLism.

    Pete, (who thinks some white vans should come with short drawbars so they can hitch onto my tow-bar,
    especially the Sun reading masturbator in Kirby-In-Ashfield on Monday rant, rant)

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Peter B" <p[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > My car does the same when tailgated, the closer the tailgater the slower
    my
    > car goes.

    That's not just an enjoyable way of tweaking their noses, it's Paul Ripley's advice for dealing with
    people following too close. Essentially, if they are following too close for the speed you're doing,
    slow down until the speed matches the distance they've left.

    The approved uk.tosspot solution, of course, is for you to overtake the next car, leaving them with
    the problem instead.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  10. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:04:36 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >I have been told in the past with great authority that I must stop pedalling while being overtaken.

    Not with great authority. With great conviction on the part of the person who was talking
    bollocks no doubt.

  11. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > The approved uk.tosspot solution, of course, is for you to overtake the
    next
    > car, leaving them with the problem instead.

    Alternatively slow down very suddenly by using your handbrake (carefully!). This will scare them
    sh*tless and usually makes them back off.

    Mads

  12. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > The approved uk.tosspot solution, of course, is for you to overtake the
    > next
    > > car, leaving them with the problem instead.
    >
    > Alternatively slow down very suddenly by using your handbrake
    (carefully!).
    > This will scare them sh*tless and usually makes them back off.

    The sort of thing I may have done some years ago but I really don't want the hassle of playing silly
    buggars these days.

    Also some years ago the his actions may have produced a reaction in me that would demonstrate that I
    don't take kindly to being intimidated. But it was a lovely sunny day, I'd got a cushy job lined up
    with the promise of finishing early enough to carry on to Sherwood Pines and ride my mtb. This
    panned out but Mr. W. V. Mann probably finished his day with his heart struggling to pump high
    pressure cholesterol around furred up arteries whilst gagging on a fag. (maybe not, but he certainly
    ended his day as he began it, as a complete tosser) No, I think I've got it sorted ;-)

    Pete

  13. Mads Hilberg wrote:

    >> The approved uk.tosspot solution, of course, is for you to overtake the next car, leaving them
    >> with the problem instead.

    > Alternatively slow down very suddenly by using your handbrake (carefully!). This will scare them
    > sh*tless and usually makes them back off.

    Or switch on your rear fog lights. The Mgt. wishes to advise The Public that it does not condone
    this, no Sir, not at all...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  14. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

    > That's not just an enjoyable way of tweaking their noses, it's Paul Ripley's advice for dealing
    > with people following too close. Essentially, if they are following too close for the speed you're
    > doing, slow down until the speed matches the distance they've left.

    Also (in traffic, at least) if you are going to get rear-ended, you want to leave a decent-sized gap
    to the vehicle in front so you don't end up being shunted into it.

    -dan

    --

    http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources

  15. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Mads Hilberg
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Alternatively slow down very suddenly by using your handbrake (carefully!). This will scare them
    > sh*tless and usually makes them back off.

    In the days of my long gone youth I had switches which could turn on the brake lights when they
    shouldn't have been on and turn them off when they should have been on. I didn't have too many
    tailgaters but not too many people could cope with a blown 1600 engine in a 307E van either. Ah
    nostalgia!

    --
    T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "Mads Hilberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Alternatively slow down very suddenly by using your handbrake
    (carefully!).
    > This will scare them sh*tless and usually makes them back off.

    And if you have not used the handbrake on a moving car before will probably scare you shitless as
    well however careful you think you are being. If you want to do this practice on an empty parking
    lot because the handbrake is a very good way to send the car backwards into the roadside if you do
    not know what you are doing.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  17. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:04:36 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have been told in the past with great authority that I must stop pedalling while being overtaken.

    Interesting problem for you if you were riding a fixed wheel. :)

    --
    Dave...

  18. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:04:36 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I have been told in the past with great authority that I must stop pedalling while being
    >>overtaken.
    >

    > Interesting problem for you if you were riding a fixed wheel. :)

    LOL

    A case of being undertaken because you were overtaken? Or an excuse for kicking the side of the
    overtaking car when attempting to keep your feet clear of the pedals?

    Jim Price

  19. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 13:04:36 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have been told in the past with great authority that I must stop
    pedalling
    > >while being overtaken.
    >
    > Interesting problem for you if you were riding a fixed wheel. :)

    Even with a freewheel you'd eventually grind to a halt on a busy road, especially uphill.

    Pete

  20. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:06:30 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> My car does the same when tailgated, the closer the tailgater the slower
    >my
    >> car goes.
    >
    >That's not just an enjoyable way of tweaking their noses, it's Paul Ripley's advice for dealing
    >with people following too close. Essentially, if they are following too close for the speed you're
    >doing, slow down until the speed matches the distance they've left.

    Aye I witness a perfect display of this on the M42 on Thursday night with a 4x4 being tailgated by a
    Merc on trade plates who obviously thought the trade plates made him immune to the speed camera van.

    >The approved uk.tosspot solution, of course, is for you to overtake the next car, leaving them with
    >the problem instead.

    Or the uk.rec.motorcycles method: wind it up to 180 and let them try and tailgate you :)
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****