Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

hippy wrote:

> Terry Collins wrote:
> > 1) Getting to the the train station is usually a car trip in itself.

> a) Move closer to the station.

Actually, the far, far, far better solution is to move to a town where
you can safely commute. Living in the city is fine when the big dollars
are flowing, but otherwise it sucks {:).

Terry Collins wrote:
> hippy wrote:
>
>>Terry Collins wrote:
>>
>>>1) Getting to the the train station is usually a car trip in itself.

>>a) Move closer to the station.

> Actually, the far, far, far better solution is to move to a town where
> you can safely commute. Living in the city is fine when the big dollars
> are flowing, but otherwise it sucks {:).

I've never understood why people live in citys.
From my house I can see Jarrah forest to the horizon. The river is
about 300 metres away, the Mundabiddi mountain bike trail goes literaly
up my street, the Bibbulmun walk track is about a 10 minute walk from my
house and there are two large dams within mountain bike distance from
me. I can also park my car right in front of the shop I want to visit
and not have to pay for parking. My town has a good hospital and the
local high school is one of the highest ranked in the state for getting
your kids into university. Why would I live anywhere else?

Marty

Marty wrote:
> I've never understood why people live in citys.
> From my house I can see Jarrah forest to the horizon. The river is
> about 300 metres away, the Mundabiddi mountain bike trail goes literaly
> up my street, the Bibbulmun walk track is about a 10 minute walk from my
> house and there are two large dams within mountain bike distance from
> me. I can also park my car right in front of the shop I want to visit
> and not have to pay for parking. My town has a good hospital and the
> local high school is one of the highest ranked in the state for getting
> your kids into university. Why would I live anywhere else?

Um, because there's no IT companies there willing to pay for my bike
habit in the country?

The reason lots of people live in cities is because that's where most of
the oppurtunities are. I'd love to live in the country, but to do so I'd
cut my wage in half (or more) and the scope for growth/promotion (at
least in IT) pretty much disappears. Instead I'm going to cut my wage by
100% and ride around in another country :)

hippy

Plodder wrote:
> Subarus and the like (similar to an
> ordinary car) I don't refer to as 4WDs even when they have 4WD; more
> accurately they are All Wheel Drives.

the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban
4WD owners. in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!

real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

> Of course the safety factor had to be taken into account, which made buying
> an ordinary small car an even easier choice: less tendency to roll and more
> manoeuvrable in traffic. I can't imagine why anyone with a synapse would buy
> a 4WD for safety! Didn't anyone do physics at school?

PE probably, and probaby drama...
certainly not physics and history.

cheers,

kim

kim wrote:
> the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat up
> FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners. in
> fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
>
> real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

This thread is a bit of a gravedig. :)

My Magna has seen more bush than 90% of Melbourne 4wd's GUARANTEED!
I will admit to having power steering but there's no aircon (a car from
Mildura without aircon - WTF were they thinking?!?!).

>> Didn't anyone do physics at school?

> PE probably, and probaby drama...
> certainly not physics and history.

Some, but really, how much attention did you/we/I pay?
I suffered with uni physicks because I didn't do any physucks in VCE.
That was a mistake! :S

hippy
"Physics blows!"

kim wrote:

> the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
> up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
> in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
> real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also manage
to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
Forester.

PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> kim wrote:
>
> > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
> > up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
> > in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
> > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

> I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
> volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also manage
> to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
> Forester.
>
> PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.
>
> Theo

Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?

I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in the
back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers are
really, really nice off road though.

~t

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

>> I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
>> volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They
>> also manage to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking
>> my son-in-law's Forester.
>>
>> PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.

> Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?

I was using it as a comparison to Kim's FWD Subaru, the Forester is an AWD
Subaru which would certainly go places a FWD Subaru won't go.

> I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in
> the back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers
> are really, really nice off road though.

By the time it's loaded with a 600 litre water-tank, a pump and a whole
bunch of other gear, they are at their load limit. And they still go in
incredible places. Khaki is a bit old, most commercial vehicles are white.

Theo

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>> kim wrote:
>>
>> > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
>> > up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
>> > in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
>> > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

>> I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
>> volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also
>> manage
>> to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
>> Forester.
>>
>> PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.
>>
>> Theo

> Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?
>
> I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in the
> back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers are
> really, really nice off road though.
>
> ~t

I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

Geoff

Geoff said:
But don't let the Mums and
Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

Geoff

what's the top speed of one of these puppies?
if its oz army issue, surely its something someone overseas designated 'past-used-by-date' and would dump on us?
(reminds me of mainstream TV :rolleyes: )

F"never buy a chopper. they dont have wings"Dutch

Geoff wrote:
> I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
> cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
> I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
> heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

labnd cruisers are very heavy and are prime targets for that rich deep greasy mud =)

> If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
> Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
> Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
> Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
> it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
> Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
> of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
> outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

yup, old school land rovers are pretty amazing, light enough, if a bit under powered.
i wouldn't dare recall the number of times i've had a lift in the back of one due to bicycle failuer or really bad weather =)

i wouldn't go past a lada niva for a cheap offroader that can go anywhere.
did some MTB orienteering many years ago in the ranges around toowoomba.
upgraded with a twin cam 2 litre fiat motor and i recon theres not a SWB 4WD that comes close KW/KG ;)

cheers,

kim

Geoff wrote:
> I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
> cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
> I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
> heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

labnd cruisers are very heavy and are prime targets for that rich deep greasy mud =)

> If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
> Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
> Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
> Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
> it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
> Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
> of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
> outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

yup, old school land rovers are pretty amazing, light enough, if a bit under powered.
i wouldn't dare recall the number of times i've had a lift in the back of one due to bicycle failuer or really bad weather =)

i wouldn't go past a lada niva for a cheap offroader that can go anywhere.
did some MTB orienteering many years ago in the ranges around toowoomba.
upgraded with a twin cam 2 litre fiat motor and i recon theres not a SWB 4WD that comes close KW/KG ;)

cheers,

kim

"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
> past the Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere
> vehicle the Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM)

I've just watched "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and a friend
motorbiking from London to New York via Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan etc.
At several points they come across sections of raod washed away by rivers.
The only vehicle able to get across them were huge three axled trucks. I
think it was a Russian Kamaz truck. I want one of those!

Graeme

> "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
>> past the Mercedes Unimog

The $350,000 price tag on the 'smaller' model is a little off-putting. But
yes, a nice vehicle indeed.

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>
>>>If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
>>>past the Mercedes Unimog

> The $350,000 price tag on the 'smaller' model is a little off-putting. But
> yes, a nice vehicle indeed.

I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:Zb14e.23193$C7.13658@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop half way
across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best of both worlds
:)

Graeme

Graeme wrote:
> hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:Zb14e.23193$C7.13658@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au:
>
>>I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

> I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop half way
> across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best of both worlds
> :)

<chuckle>

But do they have a built-in beach?

hippy

hippy <[email protected]> writes:

>>>I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

>> I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop
>> half way across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best
>> of both worlds :)

> <chuckle>
>
> But do they have a built-in beach?

Luxury pack.

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

Reality is 20% real and 80% made up stuff in your head.
But I'm not sure about the 20%.