Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. hippy wrote:

    > Terry Collins wrote:
    > > 1) Getting to the the train station is usually a car trip in itself.

    > a) Move closer to the station.

    Actually, the far, far, far better solution is to move to a town where
    you can safely commute. Living in the city is fine when the big dollars
    are flowing, but otherwise it sucks {:).

  2. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Terry Collins wrote:
    > hippy wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Collins wrote:
    >>
    >>>1) Getting to the the train station is usually a car trip in itself.

    >>a) Move closer to the station.

    > Actually, the far, far, far better solution is to move to a town where
    > you can safely commute. Living in the city is fine when the big dollars
    > are flowing, but otherwise it sucks {:).

    I've never understood why people live in citys.
    From my house I can see Jarrah forest to the horizon. The river is
    about 300 metres away, the Mundabiddi mountain bike trail goes literaly
    up my street, the Bibbulmun walk track is about a 10 minute walk from my
    house and there are two large dams within mountain bike distance from
    me. I can also park my car right in front of the shop I want to visit
    and not have to pay for parking. My town has a good hospital and the
    local high school is one of the highest ranked in the state for getting
    your kids into university. Why would I live anywhere else?

    Marty

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Marty wrote:
    > I've never understood why people live in citys.
    > From my house I can see Jarrah forest to the horizon. The river is
    > about 300 metres away, the Mundabiddi mountain bike trail goes literaly
    > up my street, the Bibbulmun walk track is about a 10 minute walk from my
    > house and there are two large dams within mountain bike distance from
    > me. I can also park my car right in front of the shop I want to visit
    > and not have to pay for parking. My town has a good hospital and the
    > local high school is one of the highest ranked in the state for getting
    > your kids into university. Why would I live anywhere else?

    Um, because there's no IT companies there willing to pay for my bike
    habit in the country?

    The reason lots of people live in cities is because that's where most of
    the oppurtunities are. I'd love to live in the country, but to do so I'd
    cut my wage in half (or more) and the scope for growth/promotion (at
    least in IT) pretty much disappears. Instead I'm going to cut my wage by
    100% and ride around in another country :)

    hippy

  4. kim

    kim Guest

    Plodder wrote:
    > Subarus and the like (similar to an
    > ordinary car) I don't refer to as 4WDs even when they have 4WD; more
    > accurately they are All Wheel Drives.

    the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban
    4WD owners. in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!

    real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

    > Of course the safety factor had to be taken into account, which made buying
    > an ordinary small car an even easier choice: less tendency to roll and more
    > manoeuvrable in traffic. I can't imagine why anyone with a synapse would buy
    > a 4WD for safety! Didn't anyone do physics at school?

    PE probably, and probaby drama...
    certainly not physics and history.

    cheers,

    kim

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    kim wrote:
    > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat up
    > FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners. in
    > fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
    >
    > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

    This thread is a bit of a gravedig. :)

    My Magna has seen more bush than 90% of Melbourne 4wd's GUARANTEED!
    I will admit to having power steering but there's no aircon (a car from
    Mildura without aircon - WTF were they thinking?!?!).

    >> Didn't anyone do physics at school?

    > PE probably, and probaby drama...
    > certainly not physics and history.

    Some, but really, how much attention did you/we/I pay?
    I suffered with uni physicks because I didn't do any physucks in VCE.
    That was a mistake! :S

    hippy
    "Physics blows!"

  6. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    kim wrote:

    > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
    > up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
    > in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
    > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

    I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
    volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also manage
    to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
    Forester.

    PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.

    Theo

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:

    > kim wrote:
    >
    > > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
    > > up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
    > > in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
    > > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

    > I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
    > volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also manage
    > to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
    > Forester.
    >
    > PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.
    >
    > Theo

    Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?

    I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in the
    back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers are
    really, really nice off road though.

    ~t

  8. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:

    >> I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
    >> volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They
    >> also manage to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking
    >> my son-in-law's Forester.
    >>
    >> PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.

    > Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?

    I was using it as a comparison to Kim's FWD Subaru, the Forester is an AWD
    Subaru which would certainly go places a FWD Subaru won't go.

    > I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in
    > the back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers
    > are really, really nice off road though.

    By the time it's loaded with a 600 litre water-tank, a pump and a whole
    bunch of other gear, they are at their load limit. And they still go in
    incredible places. Khaki is a bit old, most commercial vehicles are white.

    Theo

  9. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >>
    >> kim wrote:
    >>
    >> > the nunber of mind bending offroad adventures i've had in an old beat
    >> > up FWD subaru would prolly scare the pants of most urban 4WD owners.
    >> > in fact, the places i've seen rear wheel drive kombis scares even me!
    >> > real 4WDs don't have power steering or airconditioning.

    >> I can assure you that the 3.2 tonne Landcruisers we have at our local
    >> volunteeer fire station do have power steering and air-con. They also
    >> manage
    >> to go some scary places where I wouldn't consider taking my son-in-law's
    >> Forester.
    >>
    >> PS: some of that country doesn't look as scary in the dark.
    >>
    >> Theo

    > Isn't a Forester an AWD not a 4WD?
    >
    > I'd argue that real 4WD are khaki and cam and have a radio stack in the
    > back, but let's face it, they're a piece of poo. The Landcruisers are
    > really, really nice off road though.
    >
    > ~t

    I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
    cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
    I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
    heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

    If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
    Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
    Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
    Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
    it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
    Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
    of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
    outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

    Geoff

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    what's the top speed of one of these puppies?
    if its oz army issue, surely its something someone overseas designated 'past-used-by-date' and would dump on us?
    (reminds me of mainstream TV :rolleyes: )

    F"never buy a chopper. they dont have wings"Dutch

  11. kim

    kim Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
    > cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
    > I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
    > heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

    labnd cruisers are very heavy and are prime targets for that rich deep greasy mud =)

    > If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
    > Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
    > Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
    > Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
    > it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
    > Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
    > of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
    > outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

    yup, old school land rovers are pretty amazing, light enough, if a bit under powered.
    i wouldn't dare recall the number of times i've had a lift in the back of one due to bicycle failuer or really bad weather =)

    i wouldn't go past a lada niva for a cheap offroader that can go anywhere.
    did some MTB orienteering many years ago in the ranges around toowoomba.
    upgraded with a twin cam 2 litre fiat motor and i recon theres not a SWB 4WD that comes close KW/KG ;)

    cheers,

    kim

  12. kim

    kim Guest

    Geoff wrote:
    > I'd argue that too but I prefer the Rovers bigger, much bigger, German made
    > cousins. I've seen Landcruiser Troop Carriers get bogged in the same places
    > I had just driven a Landrover 110 thru. They're just that little bit too
    > heavy for getting through the deep muddy stuff without getting stuck.

    labnd cruisers are very heavy and are prime targets for that rich deep greasy mud =)

    > If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go past the
    > Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere vehicle the
    > Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM) would have to be it - better than a
    > Leopard Tank because it's not carring the weight of a turret and a gun plus
    > it's got more room to mount the bike racks :). But don't let the Mums and
    > Dads in their "never been off the bitumen" Off-Roaders dropping their kids
    > of at school know about the ARVM cos it would make for some really bad
    > outcomes if anything, let alone cyclists, got in their way.

    yup, old school land rovers are pretty amazing, light enough, if a bit under powered.
    i wouldn't dare recall the number of times i've had a lift in the back of one due to bicycle failuer or really bad weather =)

    i wouldn't go past a lada niva for a cheap offroader that can go anywhere.
    did some MTB orienteering many years ago in the ranges around toowoomba.
    upgraded with a twin cam 2 litre fiat motor and i recon theres not a SWB 4WD that comes close KW/KG ;)

    cheers,

    kim

  13. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
    > past the Mercedes Unimog or if you're after the ultimate go anywhere
    > vehicle the Leopard Armoured Recovery Vehicle (ARVM)

    I've just watched "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor and a friend
    motorbiking from London to New York via Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan etc.
    At several points they come across sections of raod washed away by rivers.
    The only vehicle able to get across them were huge three axled trucks. I
    think it was a Russian Kamaz truck. I want one of those!

    Graeme

  14. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    > "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
    >> past the Mercedes Unimog

    The $350,000 price tag on the 'smaller' model is a little off-putting. But
    yes, a nice vehicle indeed.

    Theo

  15. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >>"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>
    >>>If you're after the best four wheeled off road vehicle you can't go
    >>>past the Mercedes Unimog

    > The $350,000 price tag on the 'smaller' model is a little off-putting. But
    > yes, a nice vehicle indeed.

    I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

    hippy

  16. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

    I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop half way
    across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best of both worlds
    :)

    Graeme

  17. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Graeme wrote:
    > hippy <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    > server.bigpond.net.au:
    >
    >>I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

    > I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop half way
    > across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best of both worlds
    > :)

    <chuckle>

    But do they have a built-in beach?

    hippy

  18. hippy <[email protected]> writes:

    >>>I think I'd rather buy a small island somewhere for that..

    >> I think they're not far off the size of a small island, just stop
    >> half way across a river or drive into a lake and you've got the best
    >> of both worlds :)

    > <chuckle>
    >
    > But do they have a built-in beach?

    Luxury pack.

    David

    --

    David Trudgett
    http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

    Reality is 20% real and 80% made up stuff in your head.
    But I'm not sure about the 20%.