Harry Potter's affect on kids/teens turning to Wicca?

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by BassDave, Mar 21, 2005.

1. BassDave

BassDave New Member

I was having a discussion with a co-worker on Harry Potter, and how [she said] it causes kids/teens to be interested enough in witchcraft to turn to Wicca. Now, I have no idea whether it is true or not, nor do I have [or know of] any sources, but where she gets her information from is mostly religious based, thus [and even though I am Christian] a biased opinion.

Having said that, what is your opinion on this [since this board has a wide demographic of people]? Do you have conclusive information as to whether it is true or not?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I know that Star Trek is at least as popular and I don't know many children that are joining Star Fleet Command.
    I am sorry but I see blaming movies or other influences as an excuse for the failure of parents to expend enough effort to properly raise a child.
    I have no evidence either way but think that gang issues are a much larger concern.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

This might sound like a stupid question but what is Wicca ?

4. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

it as a relgion based upon the study of the earth...the religion of our pagan forefathers...nowhere near as destuctive and dangerous as christianity....

its a good thing...

now when HP gets banned in 74 US states becuase of its links to black majick and satanism, this shows the rife paranoia in america over the threat to thier wholesome christain way of life...

5. FredC

FredC New Member

Surely a ban on Superman and Batman films should be in place. Just think of all those kids who jumped from the window and died. Now then a job with Nasa as an astronaut is really dangerous for grown ups, and quite often terminal.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Thanks Pro.

I've never heard of Wicca before.

I can't see how or why HP should be banned.
    It's a fictional book (s), after all - it's a story.

I hear SpongeBob SquarePants has also been targetted in parts of the USA.
    Some over there, suggest this cartoon endorses homosexuality.
    I can't see the threat here either.

7. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Do you know that there is an actual disclaimer on a Superman Costume that reads " Does not allow you to fly".

It may be cruel to say but at least we would not be losing our brighest prodiees.

8. BassDave

BassDave New Member

jhuskey,. . .LOL. . . . Star Fleet Command. :D

Yes, Wicca is an old Pagan Earth worship religion, by the way, no where mentioned in Harry Potter books or movies. It IS used in the TV show, Charmed, but come on. . . . . . . that show isn't even what Wicca is. It is a Hollywood invention that makes it a lot more exciting [to watch or read] than it really is. I mean, if I could fly around on a broomstick, I might even be a Wiccan! No, those in Wicca don't/can't fly around on a broomstick, blow stuff up with the wave of a hand, or whatever other sort of 'magic' that is seen on Harry Potter or even Charmed.

I grew up [yes, as a good little Christian boy] watching Bewitched, and it didn't make me want to turn to witchcraft. I have a feeling that if someone was going to try Wicca, they would do so regardless of anything on TV, movies, or books.

Now, I do have to say that not all Christians have the same belief that such things as Harry Potter or Charmed cause kids to gravatate towards Wicca. That's why I ask this question. Perhaps someone has non-biased insight.

9. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

youre banging on about this as if it is a BAD thing...wicca is a good and gentle art...

what is so bad about it?

10. FredC

FredC New Member

That Wicca Bacca fires up nicely in the Hubble Bubble. Peace man Peace. Ole Che.

11. BassDave

BassDave New Member

No banging here. I hope my words don't come off that way. I'm looking for information one way or the other whether kids/teens become more interested in Wicca by watching TV or reading books.

As far as my Christianity background, it teaches against sorcery/witchcraft. I suppose that any worship other than God is why the Bible teaches against it. I don't have anything against Wicca personally. This thread is more of a question of influence. I'm not convinced that someone would join a group because of that they see on TV or in books.

12. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

you and i wouldnt be influenced but the censors believe that some people will. They changed the name of the first harry potter book from the philsophers stone (UK) to the sorcerers stone (US) becuae, i think, no kids in the US will have a clue what a philisopher is..

look at this link http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0%2C5753%2C-18387%2C00.html

13. FredC

FredC New Member

Ultra hypocritical crap. Hehehehehehehehhehehehehhehehehehhehe. Wicca will become more famous than God, George had better take another look at his theocratic covered wagon drivers.

14. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Huh? :confused:

What I'm interested in is, whether there are any statistics that state if anyone has embrassed Wicca because of an influence from TV or books. That's all I'm looking for here. This is not a who's right/who's wrong topic.

15. FredC

FredC New Member

Hey read up here Jethro, you been schoolin' today boy?
    Sure thing Uncle Jed.
    Yep, then tell me the difrence between embraced and embarassed.
    Yep Uncle Jed, we might do that one tomorrow.
    Can a kiss Miss Jane now? She's hot.

16. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i would imagine many people have got into paganism, wicca, witchcraft etc after reading an influential book by masters of the subject. This is usually how things are done.

i think the crux of the question that you are trying to get to is whether people watch a childrens film that has undertones of magic and then suddenly start sacrificing babies covered in goats blood at midnight in a haunted crypt....

not any normal person and if they did do that then they were probably going to do it anyway regardless if HP was invented or not.

utter shite as protreyed in 'charmed' 'buffy' and 'angel' is so far removed from the real world of practising witches and wiccans. If anyone starts up this practice after watching such a programme is like a person talking up olympic high board diving after watching the antiques roadshow.

stupid people indeed.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think your right - if people are influenced by film/tv to that extent, they're
    naive.

18. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Oh, you're SOOOO clever. You caught my mis-spelled word. Good job!! Okay everyone, you must be completely perfect or you get made fun of on this board. :mad:

19. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

this is a very silly thread...

can we talk about something else?

20. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Consider it dropped. Thanks for the 'help'.