Has a dog ever caught you?

Dudee

Jul 27, 2004
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.

I had a goat chase me down the road once...

Dudee said:
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.

Dudee said:
ive never been caught by a dog, i have however been knocked off my bike by a sheep jumping a fence while i was on holiday in co. kerry 2 years ago. :D

Funny you mention it...just today I had a dog run between my wheels and scare the living SHI*T out of me...in traffic and hitting a dog would have been then end of my weekend (at least)...
:eek:

e

Dudee said:

I've had a lot of dogs catch up to me, but none ever knock me off my bike... yet. The most scary experience I've ever had was when I was cycling across the country and I was climbing a big hill in Virginia next to a junk yard. There was this big Doberman in the junk yard laying down next to a dog house. There was a chain that ran from the dog then into a tub then on to the dog house. When the dog saw me, he took off at a run and I could hear the chain feeding over the rim of the tub. Rddddddddddddddddddd. The dog kept getting closer and the sound kept getting faster and I kept hustling my ass up the hill. Rdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. As I got faster the dog got faster. In the end, it was like a Road Runner cartoon. The chain reached right up to the edge of the road and the dog was caught short just as he got to me.

Trekker2017 said:
I've had a lot of dogs catch up to me, but none ever knock me off my bike... yet. The most scary experience I've ever had was when I was cycling across the country and I was climbing a big hill in Virginia next to a junk yard. There was this big Doberman in the junk yard laying down next to a dog house. There was a chain that ran from the dog then into a tub then on to the dog house. When the dog saw me, he took off at a run and I could hear the chain feeding over the rim of the tub. Rddddddddddddddddddd. The dog kept getting closer and the sound kept getting faster and I kept hustling my ass up the hill. Rdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd. As I got faster the dog got faster. In the end, it was like a Road Runner cartoon. The chain reached right up to the edge of the road and the dog was caught short just as he got to me.

I had a pit bull come charging at me once. I heard his neck chain before I spotted him so I had a little head start. Started cranking hard but the sucker chased me a good 200 - 300 yards before I dropped him :D . Man, was I glad I was on a flat and not going uphill.

I was going downhill at about 40 mph in a tuck, when a dog ran in front of me. I hit that pooch square in the rib cage. Needless to say, I went down big time. Road rash everywhere. Luckily, nothing broke. I was wearing a helmet. Without the helmet, you wouldn't hear this tale. My head "slapped" the pavement and the helmet was crushed. I healed up and soon mounted my 2 wheeler again.
Safe riding and as always....wear the "Skid Lid" !

Yes, two bastardn' Jack Russell terriers live at house where I get some hill training in and they always decide to make their presence felt as I am cycling
in the location.
(Alan O'Brien will know where I am talking about):
I get some hill training in climbing to a remote village called Rearcross on the
Limerick-Tipperary Road.
Everytime I pack my large pump that rests on my top tube - rather than bringing my light pump, for this particular route.
Why ?
Because these dogs live at the half way point on this steep climb and they come out to chase me - so I grab the big pump and hit them on the head for their trouble !
They never learn.

Dudee said:

Pretty much every time I ride. My wife has been knock over by a friendly dog. She has run over a Squirrel. Me have met up with a mule,deer,rabbits,snakes and once toped a hill to find an entire small herd of cattle (about 20) that more or less stampeded along side us. I used to carry a long pump that if held properly can be used as a faily effective weapon. By holding the pump backwards so the shaft will come out rapidly when swung you can get the dog right in the choppers after practicing enough.
Yes welcome to East Tennessee,welcome to the wild kingdom

DTMwood said:
I had a pit bull come charging at me once. I heard his neck chain before I spotted him so I had a little head start. Started cranking hard but the sucker chased me a good 200 - 300 yards before I dropped him :D . Man, was I glad I was on a flat and not going uphill.

The most terrifying adventure I've ever had with an animal was with a woodchuck and not a dog. I was cycling along side the Delaware River in Pennsylvania in a beautiful area just south of the Gap. It's an area where the road is cut into a hillside with a spectacular overview of the river below. As I was heading down a hill, a woodchuck broke out of the bank to my right and started keeping pace with my bike. At the time I thought it was pretty cute this furry muff ball running along next to me and kind of looking like an accordian the way it was moving in and out to keep pace with my bicycle. However, when I noticed that it was looking under my front panniers (When I tour I carry my front panniers high because it gives me a platform on which to stow my camera bag) I got real nervous. Looking under my front panniers, there was no way this critter could see my spokes. It must have looked like open air to him and if he cut under my front wheel, I could envision a lot of unnecessary road rash. There was a steep bank on my right and no way for the woodchuck to go but under my front wheel. I hit my brakes and started to slow down. But that didn't help because the woodchuck had the same idea and was slowing down at the same speed I was. And to top that off, a line of traffic was beginning to build behind me. All I could envision was the woodchuck knocking me off my bicycle and my being run over by the car following. (The road was narrow and on-coming traffic kept the cars from passing me.) As luck would have it, we came upon a cut in the bank and the woodchuck veered off. It must have been a real sight, a big guy like me screaming and kicking at a woodchuck from the back of a bicycle. Maybe the cars didn't want to pass because they were getting a good laugh at my expense.

Dudee said:
When I went to college in TN, the dogs were so bad I sold my road bike and totally gave up riding on the road. NO ONE kept their dogs in their yards. It was terrible. It got so bad, I had deep considerations of driving out to where this one dog lived and hitting it with my truck!

Never did, just sold my bike. Shoulda chose the latter, even though I'm a dog lover.

One time in TN, a dog was sitting in the road waiting for me, so I sprinted to around 35mph, and right when I got to him, he turned to run and ran his nose right into my spokes! OUCH! he ran off crying and yelping....dont know how it didn't wreck me :confused: pretty funny though...little b**tard

vwsmity said:
When I went to college in TN, the dogs were so bad I sold my road bike and totally gave up riding on the road. NO ONE kept their dogs in their yards. It was terrible. It got so bad, I had deep considerations of driving out to where this one dog lived and hitting it with my truck!

Never did, just sold my bike. Shoulda chose the latter, even though I'm a dog lover.

One time in TN, a dog was sitting in the road waiting for me, so I sprinted to around 35mph, and right when I got to him, he turned to run and ran his nose right into my spokes! OUCH! he ran off crying and yelping....dont know how it didn't wreck me :confused: pretty funny though...little b**tard

vwsmity: Where did you attend school?

jhuskey said:
vwsmity: Where did you attend school?
Lee University in Cleveland, just north of Chattanooga. I worked at River City Bicycles in downtown Chatt. Pretty cool shop!

vwsmity said:
Lee University in Cleveland, just north of Chattanooga. I worked at River City Bicycles in downtown Chatt. Pretty cool shop!

Don't know the bike shop but know Cleveland and Chattanooga. Two hours from here. Cleveland not exactly "excitement city" huh?

When I was a kid, I had a paper route and one particular dog would chase me every morning; barking and growling like crazy while he tried to nip at my heels. He was a big guy, and I wasn't exactly comfortable with the situation. Finally, one morning I was in a terrible mood and decided I'd had enough. I suddenly stopped and started to yell BAD DOG, BAD DOG! This caught the dog by surprise, he backed off immediately and, with tail between his legs, just looked at me as if to say, "I'm awfully sorry, I thought we were having fun." Being a kid, I felt bad, pet him, and he cheered right up. From that day on we were pals. He waited for me every morning and we had a good time together on "our" paper route.

Been chased a few times, seen a guy come down once....my funniest/worst with an animal was years ago out training in the dark. Heard something beside me and reached over and touched a horse running looses beside me. I do believe I came close to a land speed record going up hill in a training gear....I honestly believe it is the best I have evr sprinted in my life. Amazing what pure fear can do huh! :eek:

Dudee said:
Well today when i was riding i almost became deaf when a dog was hanging its head out the window of a passing car going 40mph. I had no clue it was coming up behind me. So as soon as the car passed, the dog barked right in my ear. I had no idea if it was trying to do a "mike tyson" and bite my ear off or what :eek:!!! if u are wondering what kind of dog it was...it was an adult dalmatian.