Has a dog ever caught you?

I passed a giant snapping turtle on yesterdays ride. Must have been a good 2.5 feet from head to tail. Scary looking beast but I knew he couldn't catch me :D .

jhuskey said:
Don't know the bike shop but know Cleveland and Chattanooga. Two hours from here. Cleveland not exactly "excitement city" huh?
let me just say that a common "fun" thing for the students to do was go play hide-n-go seek in Walmart. err...fun, yah. but hey, I went there for the mtn. bike riding ;)

I've never personally been caught, fortunately never really come close, but I've heard some stories from a few of my friends that are pretty darn scary.

Had a hawk attack me while out riding last year... left his talon marks on my back of my helmet as a token of his love. Dogs, yes of course... thankfully made it past "7 dog corner" today uneventfully... apparently it was too hot for em to chase cyclists today. Skunks ? ... yep ... there's a "dog" you don't wanna mess with ! ;) Gophers... alot easier to roll over in my experience then a skunk, heh.

fallen^sparrow :)

I havent tried it but a few of my buddies have told me that if you mase or pepper spray a dog it will turn a run instantly. Just make sure your moving fast enough so that you dont catch any of that mist (that'll sure throw off your breathing). Its a sound theory, I'm going to start commuting about 25 miles to work next week, and I'm going to go to wal mart a pick a can up. As long as whatever is attacking has eyes one spray should give you enuogh time to ride away.

Dudee said:
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.
I was almost caught the other day...Two dogs tag teamed me and just about caught me as I was praying they would get tired. But....my avg MPH went up by .7 that day...

Dudee said:
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.

One time riding through the country side in Wisconsin this little rat dog came out chasing me. Couldn't have been more than 10 lbs. It's always the little ones with the big attitude.

Anyway as he ran full speed across the center divider he got tripped up by the tall grass and went cartwheeling. I was laughing my ass off.

I was bombing down this realy steep hill doing well over 60kph when this hairy mutant (probably a cross between a Wookie and a cow) decided to bound into the middle of the road and stop... :eek: needless to say I instantly found religion and prayed fervently that the bloody thing would just stay in one spot as I hurtled past it's butt. I would probably still be airborn if I had been unlucky enough to hit it...

Chased by dogs? Don't get me started. I'm also a runner, where this is can be a bit bigger of an issue. I've had some close calls, once knocked down by a Rottweiller (sp?) and had to go into arms-over-head bear-mauling mode. Boy, had the fear of god in me at that point. I'm not sure why, but he ended up leaving me after knocking me down...perhaps I forgot the deoderant that day.

On the bike -- bit in the #ss once by a snarling dog that I thought I could outsprint (a narrow area had me approaching w/in feet of him before a turn-and-sprint). I did outsprint the bugger, but not until right after he got a nip in.

Got pepper spray?

ejglows said:
Funny you mention it...just today I had a dog run between my wheels and scare the living SHI*T out of me...in traffic and hitting a dog would have been then end of my weekend (at least)...
:eek:

e

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought both me and the dog were going to have a very bad day.

Well not a dog but this was really crazy a week ago my roomate and I were rolling around downtown Dallas and we decided to roll up too the American Airlines Center cause we knew Barnum and Bailey's Circus was in town. Well we get there and we could see the zebras, camels and some other animals you don't normally see. We decided to head back up the street when all of a sudden a police officer directing traffic screams at us to stop and leave our bikes and step of the road. all of a sudden right around the corner a train of 8 huge elephants turns right towards us. :eek: It was a pretty crazy sight. When they passed us I was probably 8 ft from these things walking down the street. Our bikes were sitting on the curb and one of the elephants grazed his trunk on my roomates MTB like he was really curious. I for sure thought the elephant was gonna pick up his bike. Well needless to say I will probably never ever see anthing like that again in downtown Dallas. It was very intimidating standing next to those animals as they walked down the street............. :D

Both of these happened when I was a kid.

Had a dog come running up to me from the side as I was on a sidewalk through his backyard. He bit my left pant leg by the ankle. I gave him a nice kick in the face and took off. He didn't bother me again for a while.

And once in Alpena, Michigan (NE region on the coast of Lake Huron) I was riding on a bike path along the river and went by some geese and the papa goose ran right at me from the side. He came out of nowhere and scared the **** out of me so I veered off the path into the steep mound next to it and kinda fell over then. Yelled at him and then got back on and took off before he decided to start pecking me or **** on my head or something. :eek:

Once a dog came at me and took me by suprise, I was on my MT bike at the time. I sprinted but I didn't have the speed yet and as he opened his jaws to get me I swerved left to the opposite side of the road about 10 feet in front of a car coming from behind ( I didn't see or hear the car) I made it but the dog didn't! I turned to see the dog flopping around and the car pulling over to check on it. I went home to change my shorts.

ejglows said:
Funny you mention it...just today I had a dog run between my wheels and scare the living SHI*T out of me...in traffic and hitting a dog would have been then end of my weekend (at least)...
:eek:

e

I've seen a small dog, maybe 10 kg, taunt a full grown bull moose, maybe 650 kg, by charging at him and running between his legs. He kept doing it for about 5 minutes. The moose was lunging too, trying in vain to stomp the dog. The dog was just having fun.

jhuskey said:
Don't know the bike shop but know Cleveland and Chattanooga. Two hours from here. Cleveland not exactly "excitement city" huh?
Been chased many times and screaming ***** at them normally gets them to stop (seriously). I don't think I am going to get caught unless I meet up with a greyhound one of these days ;)

I almost got caught by a German Shepherd once. I'm sure I could feel his hot breath on may calves as I went hell for leather to get away from him.

A Doberman caught me once. I managed to jump/fall off the bike just in time to get it between her and me and then she lost interest, as I was not longer moving. Don't like Dobermans.

I know it was a Doberman because the female owner was calling it's name. This bag abused me for riding through a park. There was a big sign banning dogs, but nothing about bikes. I didn't like the dog, but the owner made the mongrel look nice!

The dog caught me partly because I got to the bottom of a steep hill, and knew the my chances of escape were over. Very nasty.

I have a nemesis on one of my favorite routes...he looks like an ol' junkyard dog, but he is fasssssst...
I know where he is, and I hit that stretch of road as fast as I can to give him a good run for his money... he's come pretty close a time or two, but hasn't caught me yet...
he's just another hazard of the road... :p

good topic, great comments..

i had a run-in with a gang of bad boys this week.

riding in a GREAT but unfamilar area near my folks house. been thru the area 3or4 times already, but had only encountered lone wolfs that i could easily outrun. BUT THEN: i went out one evening and on the way back, coming pretty fast on mostly flat terrain, i see from about 1/2 mile away 4 BIG dogs standing at the edge of the road in an unfenced yard. :( im sizing them up, and they size me up and decide to occupy the middle of the road, and are already barking. :mad:

i slow, roll on up, they start approaching and look VERY disturbed by my presence.

i stop, SHOUT as loud as i can. they are NOT scared in the least, and are NOT backing off at all, actually advancing even closer to me.

i pull out the frame pump, and start swinging it toward them, while shouting even louder. this still does not discourage them.

finally, i lunge toward them swinging the pump with enough attitude to get them to back off a few feet.

remount the bike, still swinging the pump, and manage to keep them at bay enough to get rolling with enough speed to make the getaway.

boy, was i ******!

i started to go back to the house the next day (in the car) and tell the folks that i would call the police if they came out into the road like that again, and that i would take WHATEVER actions i felt necessary to protect myself in the future.

4 BIG dogs in a gang is NOT a welcome site to say the least!

I preface this story with the fact I was bitten by a big agressive dog when I was very little. I still remember him chasing me. (I love dogs now, BTW)

Few weeks back I was riding in an area that has no houses anywhere close by. I'm crusing along about 20 minding my own business when I hear that dreadful barking behind me. It's getting closer, sounds like a big one. No, it's two. They're getting closer. I speed up. They're still catching me. More speed. They're on me. Time to swerve. I'm in the gravel. Hold on, brace for it.....

A pickup with two big german shepards in the back barking their heads of passes me by at about 50.

After I cleaned out my pants, I got a good chuck chuckle out of it at my own expense for spazing out.....