Has a dog ever caught you?

Yeah, but i only bought her three cocktails. And I deadset thought i was far enough away from the nightclub to make it home without her missing me. Oh well........:( .

Not yet. There is one little, yappy turd of a dog on one of my regular country road loops that likes to chase. We have a game: He sees me, takes off after me, I accelerate just enough to stay ahead of him, but not so far that he loses interest. If he slows down, I'll slow down a little to encourage him to resume the chase. I've "pulled" that mutt as far as a half-mile down the road from his house. The last time I did it, I saw his owner in my helmet mirror standing in the middle of the road yelling at his dog to give it up. I figure I'm helping the dog's athletic conditioning, as well as mine.

I was on a new route the other day, on country backroads. Coming up to a corner, a pickup passes me, and goes around the corner. I clear the corner just in time to see this huge white dog chasing the pickup. The dog gives up, turns and sees me, and stops to wait. No way to out run it, no escape routes. As I approach it, it steps off the road, and watches me go past, tail wagging.
Later same route, a large Golden Ret. is in a yard and takes off towards me as I pass. I yelled SIT! as loud as I could, and the dog stops from a dead run and plops it's butt down in the grass! Same route, three dogs, two small one large, give chase from a barnyard. The big one was determined and looked nothing but mean. I outran him, but it was close. Return leg would've been uphill past him, so I took an alt route home. I decided to start carrying HALT on my rural rides; just too many farm dogs out there.

Went back over the route in the car later, and the big white dog started to give chase, and was in fornt of us. I slowed down, and the dog kept looking over it's shoulder and slowing. I kept slowing until the dog was walking, looking back at us like "C'mon, I can't chase you going that slow". I actulally patted it's head through the window as I passed it

Dudee said:
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.
Dogs no, but loads of damn flies in the sunset hours are for sure, and had a couple of big fat bees.
once, I havn't wear my sun glasses, I can spot a little black object at around 5m in front of me, for less than 1/2 a second, it slamed into the corner of my right eye. luckly it wasn't the middle of my eye, otherwise, I think I would have been blind now. that thing was big as my eye so it could only be a bee.

Reminds me of a ride years ago, fully loaded touring bike. Big dog gives chase. I had super industrial dog repellant, the kind they give to telephone repairmen. So no problem, no need to sprint, just waiting for the dog. I whipped out the spray, and let him have it. Unfortunatly the top of the spray can was reversed and all I did was give myself a good dose of the stuff. NEver used it again, just sprinted away rom the dogs, we are both happier that way.

Last weekend, I had a great wind going North. So I rode north. About 50 miles later, a dog - pretty big too, began chasing me. I am very uneducated about dog breeds, but it probably was a german shephard. It wasn't looking forward to playing either. It wanted a chunk of my muscles. This was the first time ever I had been chased when on a bike. I went as fast as I could, but being a bit tired, I could not do more than 27 mph. I thought the dog would go away after chasing me for a few feet, but it chased me for a good 200 feet, I think(But not sure;) ). For probably about 50 - 75 feet it was a foot or two from me. I couldn't outrun it and it couldn't catch up to me. I knew there were no vehicles nearby coming from either direction, so my fear was that there would be another dog in the next farm house, which would join this dog's chase. But thankfully, it gave up. After this incident, a few hundred yards before reaching a farm house, I started looking for dogs.

A good two hours later, on another county road, I saw a gray haired lil' ol' lady working on her garden. Biking past her, I was looking at her so that I could wave at her, but she had her back turned to me. All of a sudden, I saw a fairly big sized dog (not as big as the first one) chase after me. It had to jump over a ditch to get to the road, so couldn't quite catch me. It raced beside me, keeping a distance of about 20 feet between me and him, and after about a hundred feet, it growled at me and stopped. I bet the lady had no clue that her sweet furry-white dog was chasing a biker down the road. Pepper spary sounds like a great idea.

I've been chased by pigs, three of them. Damn, if pigs can't run faster than I thought. I was with my wife, going uphill (of course) and tried to get in between the pigs and my wife's bike. I just kept yelling at her "ride faster" but we had hybrids at the time, and they don't go that fast. Finally, I squirted them with the water bottle, and they lost interest.

Now why the he** weren't the pigs fenced off?

Always keep your water bottle topped off. Works with most dogs, too.

cgilker said:
I've been chased by pigs, three of them. Damn, if pigs can't run faster than I thought. I was with my wife, going uphill (of course) and tried to get in between the pigs and my wife's bike. I just kept yelling at her "ride faster" but we had hybrids at the time, and they don't go that fast. Finally, I squirted them with the water bottle, and they lost interest.

Now why the he** weren't the pigs fenced off?

Always keep your water bottle topped off. Works with most dogs, too.
I'm gonna have to ask you to take this post over to the "Has a Pig ever caught you?" thread. :rolleyes:

Another dog story

Was riding through the better section of my neighborhood last night. As I crested the top of a decent hill, this pug comes darting out after me. I was spent but no worries. He's coming from the left and I'm on the right hand side of the Rd. These three kids are yelling at their dog to come there. Out of the corner of my eye I spot this Honda coming towards all of us. The timing didn't look good. Being a dog owner, I winced and yelled a couple of expletives. We'll the pup used up one of his nine lives because he went right under between the wheels of the honda, popped out the back and went running off crying towards home. I'm watching the dog, hoping it's O.K. (I'm pretty much at a track stand at that point).

I look over my shoulder, and the honda is gone around the corner. Well that just ****** me off. She have to have seen the kids, and I know she saw me yell. I spin my bike around in the road get in a good tuck and take off after her. I had to be doing 40+ at the bottom of the hill. I caught her just past the traffic circle about 1/2 mile away. Boy was she was surprised when a bike pulled up by her on the left, making these animated motions to pull over. After a short "chat", she said she would stop by the house to check on the Dog. I stopped by too after my ride to check on the pup, and the mom thanked me for helping out and told me that the kids would keep the dog on a lead if it's in their front yard.

It just goes to show how that pup went from my enemy to my buddy in about 1 sec....

Dudee said:
As a teenager in Kansas,when I ride the home owners on the country roads let there dogs roam freely, I want to know if a dog/dogs have ever caught any of you guys(or any other animals:) ) have fun with this thread, tell stories and keep this one going.
I was never 'caught' by a dog, but on a slow bike path, a dumb broad with SIX dogs off leash didn't control them and one went right in front of me. I hit it with my front wheel, went over the bars. Lost some skin. Dog wasn't hurt (thankfully) But I wanted to deck that stupid *****, the one with two legs.
I never blame the dogs. They're just doing what dogs do. But people who don't control, or train their dogs are morons.
BTW, I have a German Shepherd Dog, a toy poodle and border collie. NONE of them chase, without my permission.

Dudee said:

There was one dog that could catch me, the first time he did it he scared the **** out of me. It turned out he just wanted to run along side me. He would just run along side of me, about 10 feet away, for a couple of hunderd yards. This dog could run about 35 MPH and he seemed he had something in reserve. A couple of times I stopped and put my bike between me and the dog. Luckily I have never encountered a truly viscous dog. They usually chase because of the speed and wanting to protect their teritory. Usually dogs can be warded off with a stream from my water bottle.

Dudee said:

I had the biggest, baddest Husky dogs I'd ever seen come out after me. I saw him coming so I got up and started to really push it. He would go to the shoulder of the road and just stayed along side me. When I started to tire he'd come out after me again. so I'd get up again, only to watch him go back to the shoulder and cruise along side me. This went on for a mile! I finally got tired and hopped off with the bike between the arctic ******* and me. He walked up and just snorted at me and slowly headed home. He wasn't even breathing hard. I think I saw him running in a triathelon later that summer.

not quite. i live in the country ... farms and hunters. family pets aren't really an issue because they are over fed and can't run well. but dogs for hunting, they are lean and mean, so i try to stay away from them.

however, some of the hunt dogs that don't do so well are left on their own and not taken home. they can form into packs. now then as i was riding down a lovey wooded rural road, here they come... fortunately i was able to out run that pack.

another farmer has free running long-legged beagles. i saw them and just turned around, there are other roads.

i'm encouraged to see that there hasn't been too many reports of dogs catching bikers... but i live in an area with lots of hawks and eagles, so the bird attach story scares me... owls have big tallens too...

Once I was riding MTB's with a friend, we were on a single track and we had come down a steep hill. We stopped for a minute and looked at a nearby house, three dobermans ran out of the house and began barking at us. we turned around and I ran up the hill pushing the bike because the hill was about 40% grade. The dogs didn't give chase and we were very glad.

I always had these 2 dogs that guarded the trailhead in my nieghborhood growing up. Both muts, both lazy. The one had a vendetta against me for getting past him so much(he slept way more than is good for a guard) and the other was a freindly old lab.
One time I decided to stop and try the freindly thing and pet the lab. The other one came over and without me realizing latched on the heel of my riding shoe. The Cannondale shoe is so tough that I didn't even notice until I went to pedal away and I felt this wieght on it.
KICK!!
Not a problem.:D

Conniebiker said:
I always had these 2 dogs that guarded the trailhead in my nieghborhood growing up. Both muts, both lazy. The one had a vendetta against me for getting past him so much(he slept way more than is good for a guard) and the other was a freindly old lab.
One time I decided to stop and try the freindly thing and pet the lab. The other one came over and without me realizing latched on the heel of my riding shoe. The Cannondale shoe is so tough that I didn't even notice until I went to pedal away and I felt this wieght on it.
KICK!!
Not a problem.:D
As a youngster I had a run-in with a big Lab. The dog jumped up and bit me squarely in the a$$ and held on. I was on an old Schwinn 2 speed battleship of a bike at the time. I drug him about 50 feet before the jeans and skin gave way and he came loose. Had about a 2 mile detour to get back to the house. Blood running down my leg and all. The incident was reported and the dog was hauled off. This same dog would chase cars and try to bite the wheels. He could run a good half mile at top speed before giving up the chase. In later years I had another dog, a big Chow, try to chase me on horseback. I just let my trusty old "dog hating" horse launch a few good kicks and send the dog into the middle of next week.

'bent Brian

All of yall who have never had a dog catch you are lucky. I have had 2 dogs catch me and cyclist 14 all in one ride but we just kicked them over This is why I am a strong advocate for lease laws on untrained dogs:rolleyes:

Cyclist14 said:
Once I was riding MTB's with a friend, we were on a single track and we had come down a steep hill. We stopped for a minute and looked at a nearby house, three dobermans ran out of the house and began barking at us. we turned around and I ran up the hill pushing the bike because the hill was about 40% grade. The dogs didn't give chase and we were very glad.
Hey dan were you riding with me at beatty

Nowadays I'm an advocate of the proactive approach. They want to chase me, but they get freaked and run if I chase them:D

It usually only takes a simple swerve right in thier heading as they come for the intercept. If the continue, let them get up near and do a nice big tailwhip, knocked a few silly with that one.