Has a TdF ever been decided on the final stage?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Art Harris, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    I remember Lemonds's 8 second win, as a result of a TT. But has the Tour lead ever changed hands on
    the stage to Paris? Is there a gentlemen's agreement not to contest that stage?

    If Ullrich can cut Lance's lead with a strong ITT, it could get real interesting.

    Art Harris

    Tags:

  2. David Miller

    David Miller Guest

    The TT of which you speak was on the last day...in Paris. "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I remember Lemonds's 8 second win, as a result of a TT. But has the Tour lead ever changed hands
    > on the stage to Paris? Is there a gentlemen's agreement not to contest that stage?
    >
    > If Ullrich can cut Lance's lead with a strong ITT, it could get real interesting.
    >
    > Art Harris

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I remember Lemonds's 8 second win, as a result of a TT. But has the Tour lead ever changed hands
    > on the stage to Paris? Is there a gentlemen's agreement not to contest that stage?
    >
    > If Ullrich can cut Lance's lead with a strong ITT, it could get real interesting.
    >
    > Art Harris

    In 1989 in the ITT. That was the last stage. There was also a Tour about 20 or 30 years before where
    a Swiss rider overtook another on the last stage that was also a TT. I don't think it ever happened.
    when the last stage was not a TT.

    If you expand it to include all other pro Tours then I am sure it has happened a few times where the
    race was not as selective and the leaders were only seconds apart and have been able to win by
    taking a sprint bonus. Not in the Tour or even any other GT (3 week Tour).

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Jan Jannsen beat Herman Van Springel in a time trial on the last day of the Tour in 1968. Before the
    Lemond/Fignon finish that was the closest Tour finish. Jean Robic won the Tour on the last stage in
    1947 lifting the Yellow Jersey from Brambilla on a road stage won by Schotte from Caen to Paris.

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_6fTa.553$%[email protected]...

    > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I remember Lemonds's 8 second win, as a result of a TT. But has the Tour lead ever changed hands
    > > on the stage to Paris? Is there a gentlemen's agreement not to contest that stage?
    > >
    > > If Ullrich can cut Lance's lead with a strong ITT, it could get real interesting.
    > >
    > > Art Harris
    >
    > In 1989 in the ITT. That was the last stage. There was also a Tour about
    20
    > or 30 years before where a Swiss rider overtook another on the last stage that was also a TT. I
    > don't think it ever happened. when the last stage
    was
    > not a TT.
    >
    > If you expand it to include all other pro Tours then I am sure it has happened a few times where
    > the race was not as selective and the leaders were only seconds apart and have been able to win by
    > taking a sprint
    bonus.
    > Not in the Tour or even any other GT (3 week Tour).

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > Jan Jannsen beat Herman Van Springel in a time trial on the last day of
    the
    > Tour in 1968.

    That is the one I was thinking of but I thought it was in an earlier Tour. Is that the guy that was
    known for always being well groomed?

    Before the Lemond/Fignon finish that was the closest Tour
    > finish. Jean Robic won the Tour on the last stage in 1947 lifting the Yellow Jersey from Brambilla
    > on a road stage won by Schotte from Caen to Paris.

    Do you know any sources for this kind of stuff or do you just have an amazing memory? I know the
    letour.fr site has quite a bit of data but the only way I have used it is to search for an
    individual rider's Tour results.

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_6fTa.553$%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I remember Lemonds's 8 second win, as a result of a TT. But has the Tour lead ever changed
    > > > hands on the stage to Paris? Is there a gentlemen's agreement not to contest that stage?
    > > >
    > > > If Ullrich can cut Lance's lead with a strong ITT, it could get real interesting.
    > > >
    > > > Art Harris
    > >
    > > In 1989 in the ITT. That was the last stage. There was also a Tour about
    > 20
    > > or 30 years before where a Swiss rider overtook another on the last
    stage
    > > that was also a TT. I don't think it ever happened. when the last stage
    > was
    > > not a TT.
    > >
    > > If you expand it to include all other pro Tours then I am sure it has happened a few times where
    > > the race was not as selective and the leaders were only seconds apart and have been able to win
    > > by taking a sprint
    > bonus.
    > > Not in the Tour or even any other GT (3 week Tour).

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    > Jean Robic won the Tour on the last stage in 1947 lifting the Yellow Jersey from Brambilla on a
    > road stage won by Schotte from Caen to Paris.

    That was one of only two days Robic ever spent in yellow during his long career. His story will
    always be intertwined with Bobet's. Although they couldn't have been more different they were rivals
    for the affections of the French public.

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:AOlTa.3954$%[email protected]...

    > > Jan Jannsen beat Herman Van Springel in a time trial on the last day of
    > the
    > > Tour in 1968.
    >
    > That is the one I was thinking of but I thought it was in an earlier Tour. Is that the guy that
    > was known for always being well groomed?

    You're probably thinking of Hugo Koblet.

    > Before the Lemond/Fignon finish that was the closest Tour
    > > finish. Jean Robic won the Tour on the last stage in 1947 lifting the Yellow Jersey from
    > > Brambilla on a road stage won by Schotte from Caen to Paris.
    >
    > Do you know any sources for this kind of stuff or do you just have an amazing memory? I know the
    > letour.fr site has quite a bit of data but the only way I have used it is to search for an
    > individual rider's Tour
    results.

    Books, video and memory. Try going to Amazon.com, both US and UK for a starter. Best Cycling
    Books is also useful.

  8. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Jean Robic won the Tour on the last stage in 1947 lifting the Yellow Jersey from Brambilla on a
    > > road stage won by Schotte from Caen to Paris.
    >
    > That was one of only two days Robic ever spent in yellow during his long career. His story will
    > always be intertwined with Bobet's. Although they couldn't have been more different they were
    > rivals for the affections of
    the
    > French public.

    Different indeed! Bobet looked great on a bicycle while Robic looked like an ugly gnome.