has american cycling finally arrived?

Originally posted by longanecker4 hopefully the rest of the world doesn't despise us for our lack of sporting culture.

:p
I don't think anybody despises the USA for a lack of sporting culture, longanecker the fourth! :)

There are, however, some "minor" differences regarding that culture. (Europe: soccer and cycling; USA: fast and furious). :D

Originally posted by Seraphim
:p
I don't think anybody despises the USA for a lack of sporting culture, longanecker the fourth! :)

There are, however, some "minor" differences regarding that culture. (Europe: soccer and cycling; USA: fast and furious). :D

i think you are correct my angelic friend!

Actually, trying to get decent information in any sport where a brain is required for appreciation is pretty tough in the US. Thank god for OLN's coverage of the Tour and the America's Cup. Both events were covered very well by OLN. On the subject of the Cup I had a funny experience while watching the cup in New Zealand this year. While on an afternoon sail on the NZL 40, a retired America's Cup boat, all Americans on the boat had just finished finding out that the Cup was going on when they stepped on the boat. Meanwhile, all the Europeans and Asians on that boat knew exactly everything about the cup. I could blame the crappy media coverage here for the lack of interest in intelligent sports. But in the end it seems that the people here are also a big part of the problem as shown by those poeple on that boat. The truth is that a substantial part of the American population is content in being locked into a buble of ignorance. Until the average American realizes the world does not end just beyond the borders, will he or she take an interest in the world and its sports. If that were to happen, it would be a beautiful thing. But I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. One day I will get tired of the ignorance around me and just pack my bags.

Originally posted by bighi
Actually, trying to get decent information in any sport where a brain is required for appreciation is pretty tough in the US. Thank god for OLN's coverage of the Tour and the America's Cup. Both events were covered very well by OLN. On the subject of the Cup I had a funny experience while watching the cup in New Zealand this year. While on an afternoon sail on the NZL 40, a retired America's Cup boat, all Americans on the boat had just finished finding out that the Cup was going on when they stepped on the boat. Meanwhile, all the Europeans and Asians on that boat knew exactly everything about the cup. I could blame the crappy media coverage here for the lack of interest in intelligent sports. But in the end it seems that the people here are also a big part of the problem as shown by those folks on that boat. The truth is that a substantial part of the American population is content in being locked into a buble of ignorance. Until the average American realizes the world does not end just beyond the borders, will he or she take an interest in the world and its sports. If that were to happen, it would be a beautiful thing. But I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen. One day I will get tired of the ignorance around me and just pack my bags.