Has anybody else tried a recumbent?

In article <[email protected]>,
([email protected]) wrote:

> As already mentioned the fastest recumbents were in the mid 60 hour
> range. The winners of PBP on diamond frames were in the upper 40 hour
> range. 16 hour difference. I ride every week with a man who did PBP
> in less than 57 hours on a Trek OCLV. For one reason or another, the
> speedy people do not choose the recumbent bike.

Scrutiny of the results would suggest that the fastest riders tend to do
the event in groups. While there is considerable benefit to be had from
drafting in a pack of recumbents, I doubt there are sufficient recumbent
riders with the will to do That Sort Of Thing...

Just over 17 hours on Saturday's 300, with 3900 (advertised[1]) metres
of climbing, and a couple of hours faster than a couple of upright
members of Dave CC.

1 - since AUK routes are "suggested" as long as all the controls are
visited between the specified times, careful scrutiny of the map
revealed a detour which, while adding 2.7 km to the distance, cut out
150 m of ascent with accompanying downhill too narrow and twisty to be
enjoyed. If Nik puts a control on the top of Cleeve Hill next year, I
shall be most put out.

%VMS-W-IVWORD, unrecognized word "downtime" - check validity and
spelling

In article <[email protected]>,
JeffWills ([email protected]) wrote:

> Bob wrote:
> > Wouldn't 'bent riders tend to have lower back issues on longer rides -
> > like sitting in a chair in one position for a long time ? Perhaps numb
> > cheeks instead of numb johnsons ?

> Lower back, no. Numb cheeks, yes. Google "recumbent butt" and you'll
> find that there's an endless discussion about it.

No numb cheeks either, if one has the right sort of seat. A composite
hardshell with a layer of open-cell foam, laid back to 30 or fewer
degrees does the trick for me. It is said that there are "Dutch" and
"German" backs as far as hardshell seats are concerned, and my Dutch
seat is less comfortable than my German ones. Ironic, really, as they
all are made by the same Man In a Shed In Poland.

> IMO, recumbent butt is caused by the same thing as upright numbnuts:
> poor bike fit and/or adjustment. Finding the right combination of leg
> extension, seat tilt, and handlebar reach is a combination of wise
> application of theory followed by trial-and-error fine adjustments.

AND those huge soft squashy seat bases beloved of certain
manufacturers...

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.