has anyone bought a bike online?

MikeyOz wrote:
> Duracell Bunny Wrote:
>> Up to a point, Abby - I once brought over some stuff, castings I think
>> it was
>> for a model kit, and the customs guy was pleading with me to tell him
>> it was
>> used. Given that it was still sealed in cellophane I didn't feel
>> inclined to
>> lie. I finished up paying a couple hundred to him, but I felt I'd been
>> honest.
>> And probably foolish.
>> Karen

> was it a "pleading" as in "Go on I dare you to tell me it is used so I
> can can your ass for some money" or "Please tell me it is used so I
> don't have to worry about the extra paper-work" ??
>
> It could have been a Sting operation! :)

The latter, I suspect, but I did consider the sting aspect. Given that I was a
new migrant then, I didn't want to get chucked out before I'd even settled!

--
Karen

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
Catherine Aird

MikeyOz said:
I am getting my replacement Guru from Canada and you are not wrong about the stupidly expensive. So much so that I actually decided to delay the purchase for when I am going to be in Boston in November, so I am paying for shipping to a LBS there and then I pick it up the day before I leave back for Australia. It was going to cost something like $1000 to get it shipped via FedEx or UPS, they would not ship any other way. Then there was the possible customs/GST hit as well.
Mikey - did the Guru get trashed in an accident, or does it need replacing for some other reason. I almost bought a tantric (or the carbonio ti - it would hav been a very tough decision) 2 years ago when I was introduced to Felice who has the sole import rigths for guru at the time

monsterman said:
Mikey - did the Guru get trashed in an accident, or does it need replacing for some other reason. I almost bought a tantric (or the carbonio ti - it would hav been a very tough decision) 2 years ago when I was introduced to Felice who has the sole import rigths for guru at the time
Got trashed in an accident. 2 years ago was the exact date that I bought my Guru after I saw it at the Bicycling Australia Show. Test Rode it, Loved it, bought it. I actually visited them in Montreal the next year when I was there on business, I guess I don't know the whole story but I got the feeling they were not very happy with the job the person did in marketing Guru in this country. If its the same person they were based in Sydney right ?
I personally sent them a number of emails but never got a reply, was a little dis-appointing its an awesome frame/bike.

I skipped on the Titanium version, it is actually heavier the the Aluminium version and about $600 more expensive, talking to Michel at Guru, the Titanium option is just for people to have "Titanium" on the bike. My previous one was the Aluminium version.

asterope wrote:
> i see a guy driving around ashgrove with an ellsworth truth on the
> roof-racks of his bmw x5, both in the outbound and inbound directions,
> and i have never seen a speck of dirt on the thing... (the bike or the
> car)

.... poseur, ******, object of hatred, merchant banker ...

Donga

Friday wrote:

> I've bought several titanium bike frames in from china and never had to
> pay anything on any of them. Not sure how you go with a complete bike
> though.

Oooh, have you? As in XACD? What are they like? I have an Airborne
Black Widow, which must be made in the same factory and is super sweet.
I've thought about buying an XACD.

Donga

MikeyOz wrote:

> Parbs Wrote:
> > asterope wrote:
> > No idea, but from all accounts shipping a frame/bike from the US is
> > stupidly expensive compared with the UK.
> > Parbs

> I am getting my replacement Guru from Canada and you are not wrong
> about the stupidly expensive. So much so that I actually decided to
> delay the purchase for when I am going to be in Boston in November, so
> I am paying for shipping to a LBS there and then I pick it up the day
> before I leave back for Australia. It was going to cost something like
> $1000 to get it shipped via FedEx or UPS, they would not ship any other
> way. Then there was the possible customs/GST hit as well.

There are ways around this. Firstly check out the different freight
companies and even check the same ones twice - there might be a lot of
variance in price. If you don't get satisfaction, try setting up an
account with a freight forwarder such as MyUSA. For a low fee you get
your own address in the US, which is in their warehouse. They will then
send it on to you at bulk-purchased freight prices, rather than the
retail rates that the shops use. Much cheaper, and a slick service.

Donga

MikeyOz said:
If its the same person they were based in Sydney right ?
Correct. The main reason I did not go with a guru was a concern about after sales presence etc. There were all these plans to grow the brand out here, but I was not convinced at the time.

Donga <[email protected]> wrote:

> asterope wrote:
>> i see a guy driving around ashgrove with an ellsworth truth on the
>> roof-racks of his bmw x5, both in the outbound and inbound directions,
>> and i have never seen a speck of dirt on the thing... (the bike or the
>> car)

> ... poseur, ******, object of hatred, merchant banker ...

Unless you're in WA, in which case the X5 is now becoming the weapon of
choice amongst tradies cashing in on the housing boom..

--
..dt