has anyone bought from Bikesdirect.com?

Travis44

Jul 28, 2007
www.bikesdirect.com

I've been told about this site where they sell bikes factory direct. A 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit caught my eye, being only 2k and being full carbon, 15.9 lbs, dura-ace, FSA carbon cranks, etc (compared to bikes double the price at bike shops). I can tell a scam when I see one, but this has got me confused. Has anyone ever bought from this site? If so, please describe the process.

Travis44 said:
www.bikesdirect.com

I've been told about this site where they sell bikes factory direct. A 2008 Motobecane Immortal Spirit caught my eye, being only 2k and being full carbon, 15.9 lbs, dura-ace, FSA carbon cranks, etc (compared to bikes double the price at bike shops). I can tell a scam when I see one, but this has got me confused. Has anyone ever bought from this site? If so, please describe the process.

Search this forum for bikesdirect or motobecane. There is tons of info.

Travis44 said:
www.bikesdirect.com

I ordered one from there last week (Motobecane Cafe Noir) $700 cafe road bike. Anyway, I did some research prior to doing it and heard lots of positive feedback, so i am waiting for mine to arrive and Ill let you know how it all goes. It makes sense that if they dont have to pay for dealer support/salesmen, you get a break in cost.

greenhornbiker said:
I ordered one from there last week (Motobecane Cafe Noir) $700 cafe road bike. Anyway, I did some research prior to doing it and heard lots of positive feedback, so i am waiting for mine to arrive and Ill let you know how it all goes. It makes sense that if they dont have to pay for dealer support/salesmen, you get a break in cost.

Let us know how it goes...

I've had preliminary discussions with them regarding a bike I'm considering but their responses have been inconsistent. In all fairness, it was during the holidays so I can see how busy they must have been...

rparedes said:
Let us know how it goes...

I've had preliminary discussions with them regarding a bike I'm considering but their responses have been inconsistent. In all fairness, it was during the holidays so I can see how busy they must have been...
I corresponded withthem several times and their answers were instant. Mayeb the holidays as you stated.

They have a very good reputation on one of the other forums and often do group buys also. Lots of people havehad good results with them. I read an article bout the owner.... he also has a chain of bikestores in Tx (about 20). So they have been around a bit. You will find the frames are good and the components are normally good stuff.

Travis44 said:
www.bikesdirect.com

Hi,
I just received a motobecane form Bikesdirect.com. I made out just fine, bike waas well packaged and very easy to assemble, no scratches or missing parts etc. Seems like good quality as well.

greenhornbiker said:
Hi,
I just received a motobecane form Bikesdirect.com. I made out just fine, bike waas well packaged and very easy to assemble, no scratches or missing parts etc. Seems like good quality as well.

I've been looking at the Immortal Force and one of the Bottecchia carbon bikes for a while. I'm just having a hard time comparing them.

rparedes said:
I've been looking at the Immortal Force and one of the Bottecchia carbon bikes for a while. I'm just having a hard time comparing them.
I heard those Bottecchia bikes are ****. Like made in china ****.

Travis44 said:
Actually, I've read a few posts were the buyers were very satisfied- there is not much feedback on these bikes yet; at least not that I could find. I would be interested in getting more details regarding your bad impressions/comments on the bike...."Made in China ****" does not mean much to me... is it like "made in taiwan" "made in japan" "made in italy" ****?
The Bottecchia gallery photos look pretty good... the components look good, the wheels are not great but are comparable to other similarly priced or slightly higher priced bikes...But if there is something bad about the bikes, I'd like to know...thanks

Travis44 said:
The chances are that any bike you buy for less than $4000 will be made in China. And most of the bikes ridden in the Pro Tour. Right now there's more carbon fiber fabrication expertise in China than the US and Europe, and the only reason Trek Madones are still made in Wisconsin is because Madone buyers are willing to pay a premium for "Made in USA."

rparedes said:
Actually, I've read a few posts were the buyers were very satisfied- there is not much feedback on these bikes yet; at least not that I could find. I would be interested in getting more details regarding your bad impressions/comments on the bike...."Made in China ****" does not mean much to me... is it like "made in taiwan" "made in japan" "made in italy" ****?
The Bottecchia gallery photos look pretty good... the components look good, the wheels are not great but are comparable to other similarly priced or slightly higher priced bikes...But if there is something bad about the bikes, I'd like to know...thanks
What is really interesting is that a good percentage of the positive feedback comes from members who don't post much, and others who have just signed up. The reason I bring this up is that I have seen other forums where bikesdirect.com has been accused of using their reps to log into forums and post positive feedback to sway members. Having never dealt with them, I cannot say that the accusations are valid, but in the face of this, I would be extremely cautious, and would try to find feedback from someone reliable before dealing with them.

TheDarkLord said:
What is really interesting is that a good percentage of the positive feedback comes from members who don't post much, and others who have just signed up....I would be extremely cautious, and would try to find feedback from someone reliable before dealing with them.

There are a couple of positive posts in this thread... I guess you are addressing the bikesdirect service and not the Bottecchia bikes?

rparedes said:
There are a couple of positive posts in this thread... I guess you are addressing the bikesdirect service and not the Bottecchia bikes?
I don't know anything about Bottecchia bikes. But some LBS folk on some forums have said that some of the Motobecane (spelling?) bikes (which are shipped to them for assembly by some customers who do not want to assemble it themselves) are of pathetic quality, with some being almost unusable. Also, I have read concerns about the lack of adequate contact information on their website. As I said before, I don't have any first hand experience about them, but I would strongly advise people to do some more research before making a decision on buying from them.

TheDarkLord said:
I don't know anything about Bottecchia bikes. But some LBS folk on some forums have said that some of the Motobecane (spelling?) bikes (which are shipped to them for assembly by some customers who do not want to assemble it themselves) are of pathetic quality, with some being almost unusable. Also, I have read concerns about the lack of adequate contact information on their website. As I said before, I don't have any first hand experience about them, but I would strongly advise people to do some more research before making a decision on buying from them.
I just received a motobecane cafe noir flatbar bike from bikesdirect and assembled it myself (extremely simple), I did however bring it to my LBS to be sure it was tuned properly. I was going to go with Specialized Sirrus and decided to try this one instead, it has a carbon fork, 105 group and some other good quality parts. I asked the LBS ( H.R Sawyer Scwhinn in Massachusetts, the owner still works there after 65 yrs running) what he thought about the quality of the bike and he said it all looks good and solid. I will admit I am new to road biking but the bike rides creamy smooth, shifts great and overall I am happy with it. I will say that bikesdirect quotes these list prices with all there bikes and it is a bit deceiving and I doubt if the bikes are ever sold at that price. But, I think if someone who knows what they are looking for could do pretty good through them. For this particuilar bike, I think I would have done equally as well going with the Sirrus. ( I have no connection whatsoever with bikesdirect, just found them online while surfing for bike dealers)

What do you do when you order the bike and it shows up and doesn't fit just right or you can't get it put together. Most bike shops don't like it when you bring in a new bike from the intranet to be adjusted. If there is something wrong with it you have to ship it back and then wait for it to get back to you. No thanks. I'll support my local LBS's. I don't know of anyone around here that has a Motobecane.

Travis44 said:

A good deal of bike frames are made in China for a lot of brands you wouldn't believe.

dbackmtg said:
What do you do when you order the bike and it shows up and doesn't fit just right or you can't get it put together. Most bike shops don't like it when you bring in a new bike from the intranet to be adjusted. If there is something wrong with it you have to ship it back and then wait for it to get back to you. No thanks. I'll support my local LBS's. I don't know of anyone around here that has a Motobecane.
assembly on these bikes is ridicuolusly simple, you get sized first then order, if you dont like it you send it back, its the risk (small amount) you take to save hundreds. and personally I havent had great luck with bike shop service, its overpriced and undertrained alot of the time. Internet bikes aren't for everyone, but it can be a great deal for alot of folks. And by the way, motobecane makes a heck of a good frame, and as someone previously posted, if you think your bike was made soemwhere other than China, there is a good chance you are mistaken.

greenhornbiker said:
assembly on these bikes is ridicuolusly simple, you get sized first then order, if you dont like it you send it back, its the risk (small amount) you take to save hundreds. and personally I havent had great luck with bike shop service, its overpriced and undertrained alot of the time. Internet bikes aren't for everyone, but it can be a great deal for alot of folks. And by the way, motobecane makes a heck of a good frame, and as someone previously posted, if you think your bike was made soemwhere other than China, there is a good chance you are mistaken.

So motobecane makes a heck of a frame, huh? Does your week or two expierience with your Motochicane prove that the frame is good? I think that I'd like to read a little more about them. By the way, I said that a lot of bikes frames are made in China. My bike frame was made in Taiwan.

dbackmtg said:
So motobecane makes a heck of a frame, huh? Does your week or two expierience with your Motochicane prove that the frame is good? I think that I'd like to read a little more about them. By the way, I said that a lot of bikes frames are made in China. My bike frame was made in Taiwan.
There is a review of the Motobecane Immortal Ice in Road Bike Action magazine, Jan 2008. "very good value"; you can get full carbon, decent wheels, full ultegra ice for under $1,800 no tax, no shipping. From the article: "Motobecane has assembled a worthy competitor for enthusiasts who put time into their training, ride with conviction, and need the most race bike they can get without busting the family budget"
The best comparable that i found at my LBS was around $2,500 plus tax (their website says MSR $3,300 which is bogus) but that is still quite a price spread.... anyway, the original post was regarding whether buying from bikesdirect is Ok and I believe the answer is yes; provided you know the risks. I can say with a fair degree of certainty that their product is not ****. There is also not enough factual information about the Bottecchia carbon bikes that i can use to compare it to the Immortal bikes.