Has anyone else been squirted?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Headland, Aug 15, 2005.

  1. I'd say it is almost always unintended, but malicious squirting
    definitely does happen (look for the laughing face watching you in the
    rear view mirror). Stationary at traffic lights is a very popular place
    to wash the windscreen anyway.

    --
    Peter Headland

    Tags:

  2. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    killermike wrote:

    > However, on this second occurrence, there is some circumstantial
    > evidence that the squirting was a malicious act. Is cyclist
    > squirting the new sport of van drivers?

    It's not that new. If you google through this group you'll find quite a
    few reports of it. I'm sure some drivers deliberately keep their
    washers adjusted this way for a laugh. Whether the mis-adjustment is
    intentional or not, if they deliberately squirt you they're committing
    common assault. Of course they can pretend it's an accident so it's a
    cowardly common assault. Did you get the reg. number, or maybe the name
    of the company? You have a right to cycle without being attacked, even
    in an apparently harmless way.

    > When I got to work, I washed my face as it had started to tingle.
    > Perhaps there is some sort of cleaning agent in the water that is
    > used in the squirter? Last time this happened, I developed some
    > spots and a cold sore on the area around my nose where the water
    > had landed. I suspect that water from that source is filthy. This
    > time, I have given my face a good scrub and have applied some
    > Savlon antiseptic cream.

    Well of course it's not pure water. Windscreen fluid has various
    alcohol and other cleaning agents in it, and if your WVM is a malicious
    practical joker who knows what he might have laced it with. However, a
    good rinse with clean water is probably all you needed. I very much
    doubt you needed to use antispetic. The irritation is probably mostly
    psychological, and scrubbing your face will only increase this.

    --
    Dave...

  3. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Peter Headland wrote:

    > I'd say it is almost always unintended, but malicious squirting
    > definitely does happen (look for the laughing face watching you in
    > the rear view mirror). Stationary at traffic lights is a very
    > popular place to wash the windscreen anyway.

    Even with correctly adjusted jets there will be some splashing. A good
    driver is observant and aware of his or her surroundings, so using the
    washer next to a cyclist is at the very least piss-poor driving.

    --
    Dave...

  4. killermike

    killermike Guest

    Commuting into town this morning, I decided to try a slightly different
    route. This route involved stopping at some traffic lights. I was in the
    cycle lane and I stopped at the advance cycle stop line thingy (forgive the
    technical jargon). From this position I found it difficult to clearly make
    out any traffic light. A postman on a bike stopped on the main part of the
    road itself and he was holding his hand up so that he could look at the
    nearest traffic light without being dazzled by the sun.

    I knew from past experience that these lights take ages to change so I
    decided to move my bike back a bit (still within the bicycle area) for a
    better view. I still had to hold my hand up and squint.

    First thingy of note that happened. I heard a rev from the white security
    van behind me. I put my foot on the pedal and took a quick look around to
    see if anyone else was moving. Nothing. I then returned to squinting at the
    red light. The van driver then revs the engine again. Once again, I began
    to wonder if I had missed something, put my foot on the pedal and then took
    a look around. This time, I looked at the driver. He was grinning away and
    laughing like an idiot. It occurred to me that he was perhaps reving his
    engine to make me react.

    Anyway, to cut a long story short, when we eventually did pull away, he
    squirted me in the face with the water squirter thingy on his windscreen
    wiper.

    This is the second time that someone has done this to me at the traffic
    lights. The first time, I am fairly sure that it was an accident. In that
    instance, it occurred just after I first came to a halt. I don't think that
    many drivers would be bold enough to do this to a cyclist who had just
    pulled to a halt beside them. I remember thinking that the driver could
    have been more considerate.

    However, on this second occurrence, there is some circumstantial evidence
    that the squirting was a malicious act. Is cyclist squirting the new sport
    of van drivers?

    When I got to work, I washed my face as it had started to tingle. Perhaps
    there is some sort of cleaning agent in the water that is used in the
    squirter? Last time this happened, I developed some spots and a cold sore
    on the area around my nose where the water had landed. I suspect that water
    from that source is filthy. This time, I have given my face a good scrub
    and have applied some Savlon antiseptic cream.

    So, are car drivers zapping my with their squirting devices or am I being
    paranoid?

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

  5. Not been squirted but I must confess to having been a squirtee.

    We go out every sunday on our usual club run a group of between 12 and 20
    [approx] and because of traffic conditions usually in one long line, the mix
    is 50/50 children and adults so we are a fairly long line and all brightly
    dressed in club colours. Being the oldest and senior member I take up my
    position at the back of the group [this has nothing to do with me being old
    and knackered], have you now got the picture?

    At this time of year sunny afternoons seem to attract young males to their
    traditional watering holes and they gather outside clutching the usual glass
    of lager in hand and try to impress any members of the opposite sex in the
    vicinity. They do this by leaping out in the road and screeching at the top
    of their voices forcing us to swerve violently, I think that this must be
    some form of tribal neandathal ritual but I am not really sure. This raises
    the question, is it our bright highly visible club gear that attracts them,
    would we be better to wear something that blends in with the tarmac?

    The rider at the front has the benifit of clear line of sight ahead and by
    now has become pretty good at judging the situation is he a leaper or not,
    this is where and when the second bottle comes in handy. The first bottle
    contains juice/energy drink but the second one contains just water which is
    perfect for squirting in the face of the local looney who has just lept out.
    From my position at the rear I am able to take better aim and give him a
    second blast at the same time as being able to witness the reaction of his
    audience who invariably fall about laughing at him, to further compound his
    indignity.

    Yes I have squirted and proud of it!

  6. killermike wrote:
    <snip tale of WMV revving engine...>

    > So, are car drivers zapping my with their squirting devices or am I being
    > paranoid?

    If you have the registration, report him to the local traffic police.
    Until last week, I would have said to grin and bear it, but recently I
    had a very good experience of reporting an agressive taxi to the
    police.

    Also - in the event that he causes a crash/ injury with this trick in
    the future, it will be on record.

    My opinion only etc etc,
    M.

  7. ian henden

    ian henden Guest

    "Peter Headland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'd say it is almost always unintended, but malicious squirting
    > definitely does happen (look for the laughing face watching you in the
    > rear view mirror). Stationary at traffic lights is a very popular place
    > to wash the windscreen anyway.

    Depends how the squirters are set up. Often, when stationary, they miss the
    car windscreen altogether and squirt straight over the top and get the
    windscreen of the car waiting behind, beind set up that way so that, at
    speed, they actually *do* hit the intended windscreen.

    ---
    ianH

  8. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:28:07 +0000,
    killermike <[email protected]> wrote:
    <getting squirted by a driver washing his windows>

    > When I got to work, I washed my face as it had started to tingle. Perhaps
    > there is some sort of cleaning agent in the water that is used in the

    Someone here will know exactly what[1] but there is almost always an
    antifreeze agent in the washer water. This is almost certainly what you
    are reacting to but it could also be the detergents (do you react to
    other detergents e.g. "liquid soap"?)

    Tim.

    [1] probably something like methanol or ethylene glycol
    and there was light.

  9. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    Last May (or June), whilst cycling up to Emley moor in West Yorks, I was
    squirted by a young woman holding a super-soaker water pistol from ( I
    assume) her boyfriends car.
    I can't say I was that bothered as it was a very hot day and I needed
    cooling down.

    Most considerate I thought.

  10. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    On 2005-08-15, Dave Chadderton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This raises
    > the question, is it our bright highly visible club gear that attracts them,
    > would we be better to wear something that blends in with the tarmac?

    It's simple. With such bright colours, you are presenting the most
    impressive mating display, and they are irresistibly attracted to you.
    Perhaps waspish yellow and black stripes might deter them somewhat?

    > Yes I have squirted and proud of it!

    OTOH, that'll work too...

    Regards,

    -david

  11. Dave Chadderton wrote:

    > Not been squirted but I must confess to having been a squirtee.
    > From my position at the rear I am able to take better aim and give him a
    > second blast at the same time as being able to witness the reaction of his
    > audience ... Yes I have squirted and proud of it!

    ??

    Squirtee = one who is squirted
    just as payee = one who is paid.

    In the 70s I had the I-spy book of buses, which required you to write
    in a fact about the vehicle spotted. Under minibus, after a ride in
    one, I wrote 'the windscreen washers can be twisted to squirt
    pedestrians'.

    So it's not a new thing!

    Colin McKenzie