Has anyone ever harassed you for wearing the cycling outfit?

Okay, I was initiated today - towards the end of my ride, there was some yelling from a car - I believe "fat honkey" is what I was called!!:D

hilarious! - good incentive to get rid of the extra 10lbs I'm carrying around!!

(by no means am I trying to start something racist here - I just thought it was funny)

Well after reading all these posts, I'm just glad that I live and ride in Japan.

No one and I mean no one gives a damn and even if they did they wouldn't say so, at least not to a complete stranger. The only comments I've had are from my female students who saw my picture in the local paper. Cool, sexy etc.

Japan (except for parts of Tokyo perhaps) still has the safest society on the planet. The things I've either dropped in the street or left behind in a coffee shop have all been returned - keys, ID, wallet, expensive sunglasses etc. etc. etc. I even forgot my bike at the station one day (don't ask:D ) anyway, I went back the next morning and it was still there. Once I went into Starbucks for a couple of hours and when I came out I found my cellphone sitting on my saddle where I'd left it. There were dozens of bikes all around mine - anyone could have taken the phone. God I hope it never changes, I don't think I could ever go back to Brighton on the south coast of England. You can double chain your bike to an iron railing there, and some ******* would still steal it before you could say Lance Armstrong. TYSON

capwater said:
I have no problem with folks wearing pro gear (although I'd stay away from a national champion's jersey).

Former champion Michael Allison gave a master class to my cycling group this past Spring, & he mentioned that though he still has his championship jersey (I think it's from the 1960's) he never wears it: "Whenever I wear it everyone expects you to be the fastest guy on the ride!"

florida_hybrid said:
Okay, I was initiated today - towards the end of my ride, there was some yelling from a car - I believe "fat honkey" is what I was called!!:D

hilarious! - good incentive to get rid of the extra 10lbs I'm carrying around!!

(by no means am I trying to start something racist here - I just thought it was funny)
===========================================================
I've got a helmet mirror:) so I normally know what's coming up behind me(on the road). That way if there are young, male loosers about to yell something at me as they pass I'm ready for them. The other month I had some guys do that(I think it was basically a friendly comment - but yelled). I just waved(waving really infuriates them!) and smiled at them. :)
I've had insults, and "Hey sexy comments too - but very few of each - really, for all the years I've been riding.

Once i had guys yell at me as they passed. A mile down the road, I saw them pull in to the gas station, so I pulled in and confronted them. I was much more fear intimidating then, so I took sweet joy in seeing them squirm and deny. Of course this was short-lived. They pulled out, called me a ****** and sped off at 50mph.

Let's face it there are more assholes in the world than asses.