Has anyone ever harassed you for wearing the cycling outfit?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I was at a light the other day waiting by the crosswalk for the crossing light to turn green and I saw some kids on the other side of the street yell out "you're gay" obviously making reference to my cycling shorts and tight cycling top. I didn't pay any attention to them but I'm wondering if this is a common occurence for cyclists?

Depends where you live, and how many cyclists there are in your area. No problems with that here. :D

Not me either, I'm a big guy, so I guess they think that I would get off the bike and kick their ass! OH and get this, once I was flashed by a beautiful blonde, I just wish I could have rode as fast as the car pulled away, god knows what else she was going to show me :)

I've had a milf pull up to me and holler "nice legs" a time or two. Definitely makes you motivated to sprint for the next stop light and chat them up!

Once I was riding with a group and there were two younguns in the car next to me. They just looked at me and said hello but sure enough when the lights turned green and they were out of reach from my fist they mumbled "FAGS!". Im sure other people heard because it was just quite enough so that it seemed like they were just talking to each other yet loud enough that we could still hear them.

Doesn't really worry me because they are obviously to self concious to wear tights whereas I just see it as a practical piece of clothing whilst riding a road bike.

I'm a cyclist and I yell at people too. Its all in fun.

My favorite is yelling, "ITS LANCE ARMSTRONG!" when I see an overweight person decked out in Postal/Disco gear riding a hybrid.

Better is when I see a group of riders, "FRANCE IS THAT WAY!"

I dont care if people yell at me. I just laugh it off and keep moving.

My coworker said it's really kind of dorky seeing people wearing cycling wear like team shirts and cycling shorts. I've never had people say anything bad to me, but usually I ride in a T shirt and cycling shorts in summer.

I've had people (guys) make comments, but I don't think us gals get the kind of harrasment you are talking about.......

Thats because the ladies wish they dared to wear lycra out and about, and the guys wish they could get a girl who looked that good in it.

Cycling shorts make the ride much more comfortable and unrestricted. Jerseys regardless of the things written on them travel well,breath well, last well and are generally more aero and cooler,plus more visible.
A neck tie serves no utilitarian purpose,as a matter of fact it restrict circulation and could be considered a risk hazard and could get caught in machinery or a pinch point.
Shall I go on about everyday attire and it's practical applications?

moo-jo said:
Thats because the ladies wish they dared to wear lycra out and about, and the guys wish they could get a girl who looked that good in it.

Actually we wish we could get a female that looks good out of it.

JTE83 said:
My coworker said it's really kind of dorky seeing people wearing cycling wear like team shirts and cycling shorts. I've never had people say anything bad to me, but usually I ride in a T shirt and cycling shorts in summer.
And wearing team kits is different from the millions of NBA, NFL, NHL, etc replica jerseys or NASCAR jackets that are sold each year how? When I was in the UK, I heard that the football (soccer) teams change their kits each season so that the fans will buy go out to buy the latest version.

At least the cycling jerseys and shorts are functional. While I do own some cycling team jerseys, I keep them as souviners. When I ride, I wear a no-name but brightly colored jersey. It is comfortable and highly visible. The only negative remarks I have received came from a bunch of kids who commented on my cool socks (support hose). My response was to ask them how far they would ride when they were over 50.

I have no problem with folks wearing pro gear (although I'd stay away from a national champion's jersey). I usually wear my amateur race team's kit well because that's what the sponsor's pay for! So long as you're out riding, that's the most important thing.

Yea, I'd thought about it before but I don't think I'm gonna go buy the yellow jersey, national champ jersey, etc. and end up looking like a Lance wannabe (though we all are in some way or another :p). I ride with my UVA jerseys or pro team jerseys.

LS17 said:
I was at a light the other day waiting by the crosswalk for the crossing light to turn green and I saw some kids on the other side of the street yell out "you're gay" obviously making reference to my cycling shorts and tight cycling top. I didn't pay any attention to them but I'm wondering if this is a common occurence for cyclists?
Oh yeah, I see that a lot man. Just think of witty things to say back. Or say nothing if that's your idea of being the bigger person. Damn teenagers think they're so cool. It takes a lot of balls to wear lycra, but yet when football players have their hands behind the QB's ass, no one says a damn thing. WTF man there shouldn't be any double standards!! Besides, being on a cycling team shows a lot more than any of those idiots can imagine...It's a lot of dedication and hard work, and being able to wear lycra is almost like a compliment. It shows you're in good shape and feel good enough about yourself that you don't care about the 'negative' styling points that some people think it gives...

I got told once..."Buy a F***ng car you loser!!" and some other **** like that. There's a lot of high school kids around my area...huge lack of maturity. Generally though from what I've seen, the cyclist community is pretty friendly and of above average intelligence...just some outsiders that don't get it I guess.

But yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I feel more pride wearing my team kit than any other clothes I've got! No bad comments can knock me down!

LS17 said:
I didn't pay any attention to them but I'm wondering if this is a common occurence for cyclists?
Only once did this happen and recently too. Well, not that recent due to the endless rain\snow\sleet\hail we've had in Northern California. Aaaanyway, I pulled up to an intersection and stopped next to white four door (model??) with Nevada license plates, that I remember, I had on my California Flag jersey(Yeah baby! Yeah!). One of the guys in the rear passenger side sticks his head out and yell's "***!" in sort of a Lars Ulrich tone, hummm. I responded by saying "No Thank you! I don't smoke!"

lw

Ive been harrassed plenty of times with various comments but Ive gotten compiments too, well compiment I had a car pulling up behind be and a girl stuck her head out and whitled and shouted nice legs, turns out she knew me but didnt recognize me on my bike. the reward was in the red look on her face.

I've been harrassed, and nearly run over. But one time, on my way through town to the bike trail, I passed a bunch of teenage girls in bikinis washing cars for a fundraiser who asked if I wanted them to wash my bike. I took that as a good sign!