Has anyone ever harassed you for wearing the cycling outfit?

Hahahaha some good laughs here guys :)

As well as cycling I also ride a motorbike (sports) and wear full leathers when doing so.

So I get harassed by my wife every time I put my biking gear on be it cycling or motorbike :D

Actually my whole family and all my friends thinks its hilarious with my various outfits and can't wait to see what I'll be wearing when I turn up for dinner; leather or lycra!

Sure I've been given all the jibes like everyone else, about being a nancy for wearing cycling shorts, especially by my mates, but its all in good fun. And they always love to hear my stores about my cycling adventures over a few beers!

Cheers
Ant

K50 said:
Oh yeah, I see that a lot man. Just think of witty things to say back. Or say nothing if that's your idea of being the bigger person. Damn teenagers think they're so cool. It takes a lot of balls to wear lycra, but yet when football players have their hands behind the QB's ass, no one says a damn thing. WTF man there shouldn't be any double standards!! Besides, being on a cycling team shows a lot more than any of those idiots can imagine...It's a lot of dedication and hard work, and being able to wear lycra is almost like a compliment. It shows you're in good shape and feel good enough about yourself that you don't care about the 'negative' styling points that some people think it gives...

I got told once..."Buy a F***ng car you loser!!" and some other **** like that. There's a lot of high school kids around my area...huge lack of maturity. Generally though from what I've seen, the cyclist community is pretty friendly and of above average intelligence...just some outsiders that don't get it I guess.

But yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I feel more pride wearing my team kit than any other clothes I've got! No bad comments can knock me down!
I'm 16 and I am one of three cyclists in my 2200 kid school. I often bike out by my high school because I absolutely love showing off my great legs and all my gear. All the kids in my area have no clue about cycling and think it's pretty weird when they see me. Still, I feel I want to suppport cycling in general and show off when I can.

I was a former football player and I take **** from one kid in particular. He calls me "Lance" all the time. It gets pretty annoying for me after hearing it everyday because I didn't go out for football. I still have no regrets about becoming a cyclist, in fact, best decision I ever made!!!

I have a yellow Discovery jersey but I NEVER wear it out riding because I feel like I would just be asking for it, especially since that's the one thing the general public knows about cycling (the leader of the tour de france wears the yellow jersey and Lance wore it a lot, etc...). I have no problem with seeing guys riding around with their USPS or Discovery team kits. I personally think it's cool. They are good looking kits and I don't blame someone for wearing them. I also agree that it's just like wearing your favorite baseball, basketball, football, or hockey team's jersey or hat or whatever too.

As far as being harassed, it isn't too bad for me. My girlfriend's dad rides and when he comes walking out to go for a ride, I ask when the Tour is and whatnot but it's all in good fun...especially since he would burn me up and down the pavement (the guy's like 55 and rides like he's 25). HOWEVER, I get in fights with my uncle all the time over my cycling clothes and cycling because he is insecure, unathletic, and a loser (not saying that those characteristics lead to each other) so he feels like a big man at the age of 47 making fun of his 21 year old nephew for being healthy. I just tell him he's an a**hole and to get on a bike and race me and see how big he is then. God, just thinking about him makes me want to go punch him in the face. Anyone else yelling at me or "giving me the business" I could care less. But him...it's so annoying cos he's your typical middle aged loser who thinks he's tough for giving kids a hard time (he's been at it since my sister and I were like 10).

jhuskey said:
Cycling shorts make the ride much more comfortable and unrestricted. Jerseys regardless of the things written on them travel well,breath well, last well and are generally more aero and cooler,plus more visible.
A neck tie serves no utilitarian purpose,as a matter of fact it restrict circulation and could be considered a risk hazard and could get caught in machinery or a pinch point.
Shall I go on about everyday attire and it's practical applications?

Neck ties sure keep you warm when riding in cold weather and save time when you get to work.

just remembered another good one, whent to a pizza buffet with my fraternity and me and two of my roomates rode out to the place instead of driving all in full gear, everybody got a good kick out of it, and sliding around in cycling shoes in the buffet line was pretty classic

Two of my riding buddies were out last year and had a late-teen/early twenties kid who drove up behind them and honked suddenly, then pulled around them and screamed at them, something to the effect of "get out of the road fags!" The kid had a pretty girlfriend with him, and was obviously showing off. Well, they ended up behind him at a light shortly thereafter, and the guy kept mouthing off out the window at them. One of my friends finally had enough, hopped off his bike, and waved for the guy to get out of the car and come back there if he was so tough. The guy did, and my friend (in his late 40's, about 1/2 the kids size, but MUCH more motivated) said, "boy, this old *** is going to beat your ass about half to death right in front of your pretty girlfriend, then call the cops and an ambulance to come get what's left of you. You better get back in that car while you have a chance." The kid thought it over, and decided my angry old spandex-wrapped friend was telling the truth, said "sorry," and left quietly, tail between legs.

capwater said:
Go Cavs! Saw all your teammates out in force at the recent Jefferson Cup.
Yeah, I think its happened to most cyclists no matter where you live. Sometimes people yell mean things, sometimes they just have that look on your face, and 99% of the time its from someone who's overweight, or a skinny tooth-picked legged kid who thinks he's so cool. But then we always seem to catch the attention of the ladies!

Being an older guy I have some older bike clothes, like from before they were all printed with team names and such. I have a Cannondale top that has a little wrench for the zipper handle. It's just grey, no graphics. I have bike shorts because they are padded. I have a white helmet, wear white socks and use clipless pedals. I have a mirror on my helmet. I ride for fitness but I'm not a type A rider. I try to improve a bit each time I ride.

I don't remember anyone every commenting to me. I guess it's because it looks like I'm on old guy that rides a lot.

PartisanRanger said:
Nice! The team did really well in the Jeff Cup, even among the semi-pros.
Funny, I just got back from a ride, and some kids yelled "Can I T-bag you?" Anyone have any idea what this means? lol.

shming123 said:
Funny, I just got back from a ride, and some kids yelled "Can I T-bag you?" Anyone have any idea what this means? lol.
Watch the John Waters Movie Pecker if you want to find out (plus its a good film and no its not X-rated!)

shming123 said:
Where you live in WI? I'm in the Milwaukee area. T-bagging is a "cool" phrase kids say now. It's somewhere near the nature of genitals and mouths. I hope that's all I really need to say.

Once about 5 or so years ago I was doing a really fast descent (about 80kph) and there was this guy on a car who probably got nervous and cannot overtake me. Once we got on a slower section he got alongside and yelled he would shoot me. So i slowed down and he also slowed down and continued to yell so I reached from the back of my jersey and flashed him my Glock (not point) and he sped away. But this is just the beginning of the story...

You see I also got his plate no. This road I was in goes to a valley and goes up again. On top of that ascent is a town where they have a weekend bazaar near a big church. Very popular for city center folks. When I reached the area I saw the car parked. I somehow got pen and paper and wrote "Got your plate number a**hole! Next time don't threaten to shoot if you dont have a gun!".

hd reynolds said:
Once about 5 or so years ago I was doing a really fast descent (about 80kph) and there was this guy on a car who probably got nervous and cannot overtake me. Once we got on a slower section he got alongside and yelled he would shoot me. So i slowed down and he also slowed down and continued to yell so I reached from the back of my jersey and flashed him my Glock (not point) and he sped away. But this is just the beginning of the story...

You see I also got his plate no. This road I was in goes to a valley and goes up again. On top of that ascent is a town where they have a weekend bazaar near a big church. Very popular for city center folks. When I reached the area I saw the car parked. I somehow got pen and paper and wrote "Got your plate number a**hole! Next time don't threaten to shoot if you dont have a gun!".

Well I bet that won you a few friends that day.

Very level headed of you on three counts:
1. You carry a gun while riding.
2. You threatened to shoot someone with it (could have shot yourself - the poor guy probably thought you were going to commit suicide in front of him)
3. YOu challenged the motorist to shoot you.

Thanks. You have probably destroyed the goodwill that 100 sensible cyclists could build up in a year.

Ever thought of a job as an amabassador?

:eek: :eek:

mitosis said:
Well I bet that won you a few friends that day.

Very level headed of you on three counts:
1. You carry a gun while riding.
2. You threatened to shoot someone with it (could have shot yourself - the poor guy probably thought you were going to commit suicide in front of him)
3. YOu challenged the motorist to shoot you.

Thanks. You have probably destroyed the goodwill that 100 sensible cyclists could build up in a year.

Ever thought of a job as an amabassador?

:eek: :eek:

I think you ought to read it again because you got a lot of things wrong.

1) I did not say I pointed the gun at him. I said I flashed (not point) my Glock.
2) Where in the post I said I challenged a motorist? Do you comprehend English?
3) The threat was there and he yelled he'll shoot me (and I was only coasting when he drove alongside me). I wanted for him to pass but he drove alongside continued yelling. When he didn’t pass even when I was already slowing down that’s the time I let him know I am armed.
4) I have a permit to carry my gun.
5) I know how to handle guns and I only fire them on the shooting range where I have a membership.
6) I carry for self defense coz I know 2 people, one of them is my bro, who had their mega-buck bikes snatched from them while riding.
7) And specially if I am riding alone out of city center I am armed to protect myself.

Next time don’t make any misinformed judgements and assumptions. Saves a lot of embarassment. And you talk about ambassadorship?

I get this harassment frequently.

I either: 1) ignore it 2) Simply extend my middle finger 3) If they yell '***' at me, and I reach them at the light, I say "I love you". And that shuts them up.

If it's a bunch of teenagers, I have no problem mouthing off big time, especially if I have my teammates with me.

i hate getting called when i'm out on the bike. its gets to me. i live in a small town of 7500 "people" and i know of only three other serious riders. Even my chums find it funny that i wear lycra. i ride bikes i'm not messing about.

MJ

hd reynolds said:

Lots of good that plate number did too. If you hadn't brandished a firearm, you could have pressed charges for reckless endangerment and maybe actually gotten that moron off of the road. It was dumb luck he didn't just swerve into you with his truck. In most states flashing a gun gives that driver the legal right to respond with lethal force. As much time as you might spend at the range, most drivers are faster with a steering wheel than you are with a trigger. And a pickup truck doesn't really need to be aimed. But I guess if feeling like a big man is worth getting killed for...

hd reynolds said:
there was this guy on a car who probably got nervous and cannot overtake me !
HD, if you had a large print of your Avatar on the back of your jersey, the guy would have stayed in back of you all day. :D He would have missed the Bazzar.;)

lw