Has anyone ever harassed you for wearing the cycling outfit?

rudycyclist said:
Where you live in WI? I'm in the Milwaukee area. T-bagging is a "cool" phrase kids say now. It's somewhere near the nature of genitals and mouths. I hope that's all I really need to say.
Rudy,

I'll be living in Franklin starting June 1. Am always looking for people to ride with (road and mountain) Maybe I'll see you on some local club rides?

MAF

I always find it interesting how most jagoffs in cars feel the need to voice their comments AFTER they're driving away from you. After my last triathlon, a couple of punks in a late-80's Chevy Lumina (held together with chicken wire and duct tape) felt the need to drive through the park where we the event was staged. Not until AFTER they'd worked their way through the masses of men (and women!) who could kick their punk-asses into next week did they feel the uncontrollable urge to yell out, "Triathlon's Fvckin' Gay!!".

Ah well...some lives are just meant to inspire pity. The life of the cyclist merely inspires.

MAF

the other day i was doing intervals by the airport. i get fairly sweaty, and my legs look really good (if i do say so myself) freshly shaven after intervals. so im sitting on my top tube at a red light flexing my muscles (dont act like you dont flex at every stoplight) when three young blondes pull up next to me. as the light turned green they whistled and yelled something about my rear end. little did they know that a cyclist can keep up with a car if the lights were turning correctly. a block away i pulled up next to the now embarrassed girls and said, "aren't you in my wife's class". all 3 of them were seniors at the hs my wife teaches at and have choir every day with her. Wifey hasn't stopped giving them grief yet.:D

oh, and startTday. you dont really yell out, "hey Lance" as you speed by on your bright pink T-Mobile do you? seems kinda contradictary.

I love flaunting around in my clothes even though sometimes people poke fun and what not. I think it helps make us (cyclists) more noticeable and recognized in society. I took my friend for his first ride the other day and he suited up in some of my old clothes and he was proud of wearing the clothes. I thought that was pretty cool. I also love wearing my stuff just because everyone that makes fun of us thinks they're like cooler or better but truly they're just immature and disrespectful. I love being more mature than all of them.

One time a few friends and I went to a "little old lady" who was well known in the region for making custom cycling gear... great quality. We'd each chosen the materials, cut and designs that appealed to us as individuals.

I jokingly chose a leopard spot ensemble, matching jersey and knicks. In part because they dared me to and in part coz I wanted to take the p*ss out of fashion conscious cyclist.

Admittedly I don't wear it that often but the last "grand fondo" style ride I did was a sponsored ride at the tour down under. There was over 1000 cyclist all wearing the same jerseys. I was one of the few to buck the trend (In style IMHO :)

It took a fair bit of ribbing from my mates. But that evening, over a few refreshing ales it was really cool to hear folks describing a sea of cyclist following some nut bag done up in leopard spots.... little did they know.

Having said that, so many cyclists in one place the motorists weren’t a big problem.

StartTday said:
My good friend and I went for a hill ride yesterday morning at 8AM. Towards the end of our ride we rode past a church sponsored "Free Car Wash." While passing one of the church patrons yelled at my friend, "Put on some clothes!" I then hear my friend tell the church goer, "Go f*** yourself."

Good times.
Good Times!!!!!!!!!!!!! Indeed!

That is hilarious dude. What a come back, they must have been mortified
at hearing GO F*CK YOURSELF!!!! I love that sh*t. :D

I have yelled GFY at many driver and mocking jack-asses.
They never counter or want to throw down either. p*ssys! lol.

rudycyclist said:
I love flaunting around in my clothes even though sometimes people poke fun and what not. I think it helps make us (cyclists) more noticeable and recognized in society. I took my friend for his first ride the other day and he suited up in some of my old clothes and he was proud of wearing the clothes. I thought that was pretty cool. I also love wearing my stuff just because everyone that makes fun of us thinks they're like cooler or better but truly they're just immature and disrespectful. I love being more mature than all of them.
;)
Totally agree with you. We should be pround of ourself. Make people recognized us as a cyclist in the society.

I have to admit feeling a little empowered by the kit- to me, it shows other people that I'm serious about my exercise, and I don't give a rat's a$$ what they think. When I put the gear on, it's almost like an alter ego- biker guy- appears.

Plus, I think that people who make fun of the kit genuinely don't understand the uncomfortableness of baggy clothes and unpadded, unsupportive shorts.

LS17 said:
I was at a light the other day waiting by the crosswalk for the crossing light to turn green and I saw some kids on the other side of the street yell out "you're gay" obviously making reference to my cycling shorts and tight cycling top. I didn't pay any attention to them but I'm wondering if this is a common occurence for cyclists?
Hey you should take it as a compliement, 80% of the best looking guys are gay (so I'm told). Clearly he was jellous.

njeitner said:
Admittedly I don't wear it that often but the last "grand fondo" style ride I did was a sponsored ride at the tour down under. There was over 1000 cyclist all wearing the same jerseys. I was one of the few to buck the trend (In style IMHO :)

It took a fair bit of ribbing from my mates. But that evening, over a few refreshing ales it was really cool to hear folks describing a sea of cyclist following some nut bag done up in leopard spots.... little did they know.
Some of them probably thought Mario Cipollini had made a surprise visit.:)

The other day a car comes by us in a pace line and some 12 year old punk kid yells out the window "F*ck You". As crazy as it was, the driver of the car looked like it was his Mom. Great role model parents!!! Oh, did I mention the car had on NY tags? Even my riding buddy, born and bred in NYC, remarked "Typical New Yorker."

kspangler said:
I promised myself if anyone ever does that to me I'm going to invite them to a ride up a long climb, then we'll see who is gay.
I'm not really sure what being gay has to do with climbing ability. . .

These days it's PC to be gay. ("Not that there's anything wrong with it!")

So when retards shout "gay!", reply, "So?" or "What's your point?" Really leaves them with nothing to say.

mikesbytes said:
Hey you should take it as a compliement, 80% of the best looking guys are gay (so I'm told). Clearly he was jellous.
The thing here you need to realize, is that 98% of all statistics are absolute ********. Including this one. That's a complete lie, and it's not a compliment to be called gay. It's only a compliment if a gay guy actually hits on you. That means they like you. A loser on the street calling you gay is not a compliment.

K50 said:
The thing here you need to realize, is that 98% of all statistics are absolute ********. Including this one. That's a complete lie, and it's not a compliment to be called gay. It's only a compliment if a gay guy actually hits on you. That means they like you. A loser on the street calling you gay is not a compliment.
Calm down Kev.

The only person that he put down was himself, as stating that you belong to a particular sector of the community because you are wearing aerodynamic sports gear is just showing himself to be totally stupid.

The gays I know in Sydney take great pride in themselves and are great to train with down at the gym.

Jur's comeback is good.

Well, I am 13 and surprisingly, i have ridden to girls soccer games in spandex and have recieved not that much negative attention. I've had an incident where one of the player's sister told me she was gonna bring me some fat basketball shorts and another "cyclist" (all words, no skill, also wears spandex occasionally) make fun of me but he is insecure. I've also had people yell NICE SHORTS to me and i just pump my fist in the air. I am realy good at debate so if anyone has any serious negative comments about me and spandex I just reply with the following:

"If you can't get over a guy in spandex then you are either immature or really insecure with yourself and want to make yourself look better by putting other people down."

Works all the time!:p I should probably post this in the junior forum in a thread asking a similar question.

I once had a school kid spray something in my face as I rode past a huge bunch of school kids at a bustop. dunno what it was, probably a de-odorant or something. Had glasses on so I didn't even flinch. Couldn't even be bothered reacting to it. Who cares.

Generally its fine. Sydney drivers aren' the most considerate on the planet, so a get a few "get the f*ck of the road" comments but thats it.

Best come back I saw was when I was riding with a mate of mine north of Sydney in Gosford. Kids like to try a scare you off your bike by driving by closely and shouting loudly a foot away. Only thing this time was they did that to my mate then ended up at a red light 100m down the road. He just glided by and squirted his water bottle straight into the open window and kept going.
All done calmly as if nothing happened. Man I laughed.

I had to go on some errands prior to a ride over the weekend, and I wore a t-shirt and jeans over my bibs just to nip any potential comments in the bud. Still a little nervous about wearing cycling clothing out in public- it's one thing to see bikers out on a bike with the kit on, but going into a shop of some kind with them on might be a little questionable (unless it was a bike shop).

That said, I went into a little store out in the country at the end of my ride to buy some gatorade, and the little old lady who ran the store checked out my gear and said, "Nice day for a ride, huh?" At least the town I live in has enough cyclists so that the locals are used to seeing us...

Now if only my friends were as enthusiastic as I am to talk about cadence, average heart rate, century training, etc. etc.

Just imagine what comments everbody would get if we wore these Northwave Jerseys, I'm quite partial to the skeleton outfit, notice the matching gloves

06-nw-clothing-mp.jpg

analphilosopher-20040508,_Mario_Cipollini_during_the_Giro_prologue.jpg

Giro_01.jpg

analphilosopher-20020511,_Mario_Cipollini,_Giro_d'Italia.jpg