Has anyone ever heard of the 2002 Giant Wind Mark?

kins80

May 10, 2005
Long story made short:

I had been looking for any entry level road bike for a couple of weeks. I bought a new Giant Wind Mark in China while I was vacationing in Shanghai last week. It looked like a great entry level bike, and was only $350 through the exchange rate. The problem is that the box was too big for the airport, so now it is being shipped to America, with the manual still inside the box.

What little information I can find on this bike since getting home is this:

CR-MO frame
CR-MO front fork
Alluminum Alloy double-decked wheels
Shimano Sora, 16S
2002 model

Which I got from http://www.giant-bicycle.com/ch/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2002&range=81, and then translated through an automated webpage.

I cannot find more detailed specs anywhere on the internet!!! I even called the American Headquaters of Giant, and they couldn't tell me anything either.

I have two questions for anyone willing to take the time to answer. 1) Has anyone ever heard of this bike, or know where I can get more information? 2) Was this a stupid gamble on my part? :confused:

I have never seen it, I bet there are a lot of bikes that some companies only make in certain countries.

When it arrives, you should get clipless pedals, a carbon fork and seatpost and good tires and maybe a better component group, then you will have a great bike for a low overall cost.

I am sure this bike will serve its purpose. As an entry level bike there are two things I would keep an eye on. The wheels and the bottom bracket.

Here is my story. I have a Motobecane that was built in China. I think it is best described as a recreational road bike. Sora components and Alexrims with the blade spokes. When I started riding it hard the spokes started popping loose left and right. I could never keep the wheels trued. The bottom bracket also went south. I replaced the wheels with some Xeros and put in a Shimano bottom bracket. I also upgraded the tires to Aramdillo All Conditions. The bike now serves me very well. Good luck with your Giant. Stay safe.

Charlie M.
Dallas

Cyclist14 said:
I have never seen it, I bet there are a lot of bikes that some companies only make in certain countries.

When it arrives, you should get clipless pedals, a carbon fork and seatpost and good tires and maybe a better component group, then you will have a great bike for a low overall cost.
i would also suggest that you change the frame, not only does it look gash but an entry level steel frame is bound to be duff, especially from a mass manufacturer like Giant.

In short, keep the kit and get a new frame....a new bike would be easier.