Has anyone ever tried Campagnolo on a MTB?

Lorenzob

Oct 11, 2004
At the beginning of MTB road bike suppliers were not making cranks with triple so I can understand why shimano had all the market to itself. But now there are groups such as Centurion out with the triple. Or is there a technical issue?

Lorenzob said:
At the beginning of MTB road bike suppliers were not making cranks with triple so I can understand why shimano had all the market to itself. But now there are groups such as Centurion out with the triple. Or is there a technical issue?

I am not familiar with Campy Centurion. .... could you be meaning Centaur?

Campy has made triples for a long time... including a mountain bicycle group once that I remember. If you want Campy and can use the appropriate bottom bracket and front derailer.... and if the larger chain rings are a benefit and not a negative to your riding, then go ahead with Campy.
The technical issues with Campy triples for me and my mountain bicycling would be that the gearing is too high and that the bottom bracket/crank assembly isn't as strong/stiff as the new LX/XT/XTR from Shimano.

Boy, I was reading this and thinking of a couple of trails I dig riding that would (literally) kill me if I tried to climb them with what, a 30 tooth granny? No thanks bro, but good for you...

There was a time when a 52 tooth big ring sounded tempting though...(ahh...hardtail DH racing in the early '90s).

Ride on...

Kraig.

Look at Campy's 2005 stuff. They are making trigger shifters now. Could they be testng the MTB waters again?

SS

soonerschwinn said:
Look at Campy's 2005 stuff. They are making trigger shifters now. Could they be testng the MTB waters again?

SS

if you use campa on anything else than a road or track bike, say bye bye to your warranty. the shifters you mean are for flatbar road bikes.
:p