Has anyone had any experience with Vision Tech Mini Clip-ons

dsschanze

Jan 14, 2007
I was wondering if anyone had any experience/comments about using Vision Tech Mini tt-bars. I was considering getting some for the next TT (a little over a month off) because if I get traditional length bars, I will be too stretched out.

Thanks,
ds

Hi. I've used them in the past and have been happy with them.

For me, their main advantage was fatigue reduction, as I couldn't reasonably stay in the simulated aero position (back low, elbows in, hands near stem) for the whole trial. Also, since these are shorty clip-ons, rhythm and stability were not greatly disturbed when shifting gears at speed, since this required only a quick lateral movement of the hands to the brifters.

Finally, since you're on road bike geometry, it may be worthwhile to get a fit assessment of your trial position with the shorties--I found the most success when altering the cockpit towards a slam position (not too hard with a Fizik Arione).

-good luck and have fun

dsschanze said:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience/comments about using Vision Tech Mini tt-bars. I was considering getting some for the next TT (a little over a month off) because if I get traditional length bars, I will be too stretched out.

Thanks,
ds
If you're concerned about being stretched out on a road bike, you should consider the Profile T2+ clip on bars. They allow you to slide the bars and pads back well behind the cross bars. Remember it's the elbow pad location more than the bar tips that determine how stretched out you'll be. The Vision Tech minis are light and small, but IIRC they don't allow you to move the elbow pads back behind the road bike bar tops.

You can also invert the mounts on the T2+ bars so that the aero bar hangs underneath the road bar tops instead of sitting high as shown in the marketing pics. You'll need to use the included high riser kit and either tilt the bars up or build up additional pad height but this results in a much lower position which is a big plus when using clip ons on a road bike. I was able to lower my CdA (based on power meter field testing) substantially by hanging the T2+ bars this way.

Good luck,
-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
If you're concerned about being stretched out on a road bike, you should consider the Profile T2+ clip on bars. They allow you to slide the bars and pads back well behind the cross bars. Remember it's the elbow pad location more than the bar tips that determine how stretched out you'll be. The Vision Tech minis are light and small, but IIRC they don't allow you to move the elbow pads back behind the road bike bar tops.

You can also invert the mounts on the T2+ bars so that the aero bar hangs underneath the road bar tops instead of sitting high as shown in the marketing pics. You'll need to use the included high riser kit and either tilt the bars up or build up additional pad height but this results in a much lower position which is a big plus when using clip ons on a road bike. I was able to lower my CdA (based on power meter field testing) substantially by hanging the T2+ bars this way.

Good luck,
-Dave
Ok, I finally got my clipons (Profile T2+ yesterday, installed them and rode with them. I did find that they were pretty high set up in the pictured setup, so today I inverted them and set them up to hang. The only problem is that they are a pain in the ass to install with the screws upside down. Would it be possible to get some longer bolts and just drive them in from the top to save the pain of having to work my allen wrench through my brake cables and in the cramped space under my bars?