Has anyone heard from Loren Griffing ([email protected] and [email protected])

Dave Wilson

Guest
I've been buying bike stuff on eBay for the last year with no problems at all. On Jan 7, 2004 I
bought a seat pack for the great deal of $3.99 from surplusbicycle (Loren Griffing
[email protected]). I paid the same day via PayPal, adding $5 for shipping. Never got it.

He had no neg feedback when I bought it, but they started showing up after a few days. http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-
cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=surplusbicycle I emailed him a few times with no response. I
filed a complaint with PayPal, who decided in my favor, but said "Our investigation has determined
that the seller is at fault, but we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account."

A quick google found this thread and lots of others. Obviously this is not the first time for
Mr. Griffing.

I'm not going to worry too much about $8.99, but I don't think this can be explained away as
"disorganization" by a "nice guy". Failing to send the product and then cleaning out the PayPal
account is a little too organized for that.

Dave Wilson www.davewilson.cc

Huh. I bought a couple of things from Loren in 1998 or so, and he was pleasant to deal with and
shipped promptly. I'm sad to hear that's perhaps not so much the case now.

>I've been buying bike stuff on eBay for the last year with no problems at all. On Jan 7, 2004 I
>bought a seat pack for the great deal of $3.99 from surplusbicycle (Loren Griffing
>[email protected]). I paid the same day via PayPal, adding $5 for shipping. Never got it.
>
>He had no neg feedback when I bought it, but they started showing up after a few days.
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=surplusbicycle
> I emailed him a few times with no response. I filed a complaint with PayPal, who decided in my
> favor, but said "Our investigation has determined that the seller is at fault, but we were unable
> to recover any funds from the seller's account."
>
>A quick google found this thread and lots of others. Obviously this is not the first time for Mr.
>Griffing.
>
>I'm not going to worry too much about $8.99, but I don't think this can be explained away as
>"disorganization" by a "nice guy". Failing to send the product and then cleaning out the PayPal
>account is a little too organized for that.

I've bought stuff from Loren on a couple of ocassions. First time it was a very smooth and fast
deal. The last time, it took quite some time to get my stuff. Also, If you do a google search, you
will find that this is not the first time he has been slow to ship stuff. I eventually got my stuff,
plus something extra. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't really mind. It could be he is out of town.
-----------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<c04olj$r4 ...
> I've bought stuff from Loren on a couple of ocassions. First time it was a very smooth and fast
> deal. The last time, it took quite some time to get my stuff. Also, If you do a google search, you
> will find that this is not the first time he has been slow to ship stuff. I eventually got my
> stuff, plus something extra. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't really mind. It could be he is out
> of town.
> -----------

Could be. But I never got the pedals he sold me. Or the refund he promised repeatedly. And it's been
a verrrrrry long time.

Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've bought stuff from Loren on a couple of ocassions. First time it was a very smooth and fast
> deal. The last time, it took quite some time to get my stuff. Also, If you do a google search, you
> will find that this is not the first time he has been slow to ship stuff. I eventually got my
> stuff, plus something extra. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't really mind. It could be he is out
> of town.
> -----------
> Alex

He's not out of town. I got his number from eBay and called him Friday. He offered me the product or
a refund. I chose the product, and he promised to ship it out that afternoon. I will report back
here in a few weeks.

[email protected] (Dave Wilson) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Alex Rodriguez <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > I've bought stuff from Loren on a couple of ocassions. First time it was a very smooth and fast
> > deal. The last time, it took quite some time to get my stuff. Also, If you do a google search,
> > you will find that this is not the first time he has been slow to ship stuff. I eventually got
> > my stuff, plus something extra. I wasn't in a hurry, so I didn't really mind. It could be he is
> > out of town.
> > -----------
> > Alex
>
> He's not out of town. I got his number from eBay and called him Friday. He offered me the product
> or a refund. I chose the product, and he promised to ship it out that afternoon. I will report
> back here in a few weeks.

No seat bag yet. I called Loren today and reminded him. "Oh, yeah, I'll get that out today." Very
pleasant guy. But. I will report back again, in a few more weeks.

Dave www.davewilson.cc

It's been two weeks since I last spoke to Loren, and no seat
bag yet. I can't believe it! I called him to see what the
problem was. "What, you haven't received it yet? I sent that
out to the address you left on the machine last time you
called." I explained that I had left my address on the
machine the first time I called him, over a month ago, and
that last time he had written my address down. Pause. "I
will check my mailing records and call you back today." I
said I was looking forward to his call.

I'd be stressed over this if I hadn't seen the posts here by
other people that describe Mr. Griffing doing this exact
behavior to them. Instead, I just smile to myself when Loren
tells me he will be including a refund with the bag, or that
it's going out today for sure, or when he reads back the
address to me just to confirm it. I've already bought a seat
bag at my LBS a couple weeks ago, because I really needed a
new one, and figured this might take a while. I expect Loren
will call me back today, but just on the off-chance that he
doesn't, I'll call him back in a couple weeks and post the
results here.

Dave Wilson www.davewilson.cc

I knew you would all be anxiously waiting for the next Loren
Griffing update. Here it is: no seat bag yet. I guess Loren
must be pretty busy. I know he was busy a couple weeks ago,
because when we spoke back then he assured me that would
call me back that same day and let me know why the bag
hadn't shipped yet. But I didn't hear from him. Something
must have come up that was more important.

I did call Loren late last week. Once again, he expressed
shock and awe that I had not yet received my seat bag. He
promised me that he would call back that day with an update.
We must have had a bad connection, because when I mentioned
that he had said that last time, he couldn't seem to hear
me. I hung up feeling confident that it would all be
straigtened out that day, but I never got a call back. That
guy sure is busy!

I thought that it would be good to have a place to keep
track of all these conversations, like a web site. I found
out that I could buy www.lorengriffing.com for only $6.95
per year, and get a single page for free. As soon as the
name servers get updated it should be out there. When I get
a first draft of a tribute page up, I will make an
announcement here. And of course I'll let you know in a
couple weeks if that seat bag shows up.

Dave www.davewilson.cc

Two more weeks, and no seat bag from Loren. I haven't been
able to get in touch with him, either. The phone rings for a
while, and then goes to voice mail. No replies to messages.
I did get a pickup once, and didn't hear anything, but that
might have been my cell phone.

No progress on the web page front; I've been working on more
productive things.

Will keep you all informed should Mr. Griffing come
through for me.

Dave www.davewilson.cc

I knew I forgot something in my earlier post. Mr. Griffing is still
quite active, as these posts on the San Francisco Craig's list show:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wan/27599664.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wan/27829798.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wan/27832489.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/bik/27839812.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/bik/28057417.html

He is, variously, asking for a short-term loan of $2000,
selling the inventory of a closed bicycle shop, and selling
a beach cruiser. I must admit that I am at a loss as to how
he can remain busy on the internet, yet be unable to fulfill
my simple order.

Dave Wilson www.davewilson.cc

I have been remiss with my updates, but I did manage to talk
with Loren on the phone today. He was surprised that I had
not received the seat bag, but he read back my address to
me, and promised to go the post office within the next two
hours. He told me he'd email me a tracking number as soon as
the package went out.

I really think it might happen this time. He sounded
so sincere.

Dave www.davewilson.cc

Hey, that is great news!!!

"Dave Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been remiss with my updates, but I did manage to
> talk with Loren on the phone today. He was surprised that
> I had not received the seat bag, but he read back my
> address to me, and promised to go the post office within
> the next two hours. He told me he'd email me a tracking
> number as soon as the package went out.
>
> I really think it might happen this time. He sounded so
> sincere.
>
> Dave www.davewilson.cc

He always sounds sincere, and promises to send it right out.
I'm still waiting for some bars I ordered months ago...