Has anyone here had Trek replace a Carbon frame under warranty?

SD2006

Jun 19, 2006
I'm curious as to the general success people have had making warranty claims with big ticket carbon items like frames or forks. There seems to be a lot of debate as to the exact meaning of "lifetime warranty" and I was hoping to hear first person accounts of how Trek handled customer's claims.

Thanks...

SD2006 said:
I'm curious as to the general success people have had making warranty claims with big ticket carbon items like frames or forks. There seems to be a lot of debate as to the exact meaning of "lifetime warranty" and I was hoping to hear first person accounts of how Trek handled customer's claims.

Thanks...

I have no first-hand knowledge. However, a warranty is an enforceable contract. If you are interested or concerned about Trek's warranting of their frames, you should carefully read their warranty to ascertain the circumstances whereby Trek would replace or repair their frames.

SD2006 said:

Thanks...
once again, no first hand experience, and i'm sure you've had your fill of "well my friend's cousin's wife's nephew who races professionally" stories...but..here goes

i've had 2 comments regarding trek's warranty (the reason i bought a trek rather than giant). the first through a bikeshop where they said someone brought in an old trek cf frame from the mid 90's (did mt. dew sponsor something at that time). anyways the seat stays had broken, and trek replaced it with the comparable value bike from that year (i don't want to mention specifics...5500 sounds right).

the second instance i ran into this was at an area ride. a fellow cyclist talked about his friend who had a trek cf frame, and was putting out so much force that he actually snapped the bottom bracket along with that part of the bike (to be honest either i just don't know the name of the part or it's slipping my mind right now...the part i mean is where the bottom bracket goes through to connect the cranks). anyway the guy got the bike replaced (once again current comparable value bike from that year) and trek also covered medical bills.

take it all with a grain of salt...i'm likely to have unknowingly twisted a few details here and there, plus it's all through the grapevine. personally i think it comes down to your relationship with the local bike shop and the employees there. if you're a good customer and not a jerk to them, i imagine they'll fight for ya and state your case to Trek, otherwise...well who knows. the only bikes i've ever ridden have been trek, and i think that the instances of carbon failure are so rare (in proportion to hte number of trek cf bikes on the road) that it's nothing to worry about

I personally have. I posted the thread here a while back. I had a Trek Madone, short story was the bottom bracket delaminated, and the Al shell came unbonded from the frame itself. They replaced it with the new Madone with the Discovery paint job. Took about 2 weeks total if I remember correctly.

SkinnyRob said:
I personally have. I posted the thread here a while back. I had a Trek Madone, short story was the bottom bracket delaminated, and the Al shell came unbonded from the frame itself. They replaced it with the new Madone with the Discovery paint job. Took about 2 weeks total if I remember correctly.
Very interesting, thanks for the reply.