Has anyone here tried L-Arginine?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Peabody, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Peabody

    Peabody Guest

    I've started taking an L-arginine supplement to help with high blood pressure and, uh, other things.
    Today I took 2 grams about 30 minutes before swimming, on an empty stomach, and seemed to have a lot
    more wind than usual. Or, more accurately, seemed to be able to swim significantly stronger than
    usual without getting out of breath.

    I just wondered if L-arginine is a recognized supplement of abuse for athletes, or have I stumbled
    across something new?

    And for those not familiar with it, L-arginine is just one of those amino acids commonly found in
    lots of foods, particularly meat. It is a precursor for nitric oxide, and is therefore thought by
    some to be useful in relaxing the blood vessels.

    Tags:

  2. Peabody wrote:

    > I've started taking an L-arginine supplement to help with high blood pressure and, uh, other
    > things. Today I took 2 grams about 30 minutes before swimming, on an empty stomach, and seemed to
    > have a lot more wind than usual. Or, more accurately, seemed to be able to swim significantly
    > stronger than usual without getting out of breath.
    >
    > I just wondered if L-arginine is a recognized supplement of abuse for athletes, or have I stumbled
    > across something new?
    >
    > And for those not familiar with it, L-arginine is just one of those amino acids commonly found in
    > lots of foods, particularly meat. It is a precursor for nitric oxide, and is therefore thought by
    > some to be useful in relaxing the blood vessels.

    I think amino acids are broken down in the body into their components and then these components are
    used to construct whatever the body needs. I don't think L-Arginine is used directly.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway