Has anyone seen this ? Has Ullrich been bodybuilding ?

whiteboytrash said:
Yes, he looks super fit.
But seriously I think it is the lack of oversized (weight lifteing) leg muscles compared to last year. His legs look lean and strong and small (for Ullrich) like they did in 1997, and to my eyes not since. I think his weight is clearly down. I think this is his year if there is to be another win. Should make for good viewing.

whiteboytrash said:
Looking a lot better than Armstrong the pie man ! 'Who ate all the pies' ! :p
I think Ullrich might still be on the Extasy (MDMA) diet, burning up calories at the all-night rave parties. :rolleyes:

whiteboytrash said:

Ullrich is very optimistic about the TDF,he says that he is glad Armstrong will be there otherwise a win would not mean as much.
After Spain they are headed for the Tour De Suisse where I believe he will win or make a great showing.
Steinhauser says Ullrich is in incredible shape but is always worried that illness may plagues them as getting sick before a race is always an unknown factor.
This comes staight from the horses mouth not the media or google.

I understand Basso is also looking very good,especially today.

Haha wasn't Ullrich last year looking veryyyyy goood.......I read at forums that Ullrich looked lean and that he had his best form since 97. We'll see maybe he gets 1 more 2nd place:D

Dead Star said:
yep, i don't think he's been this well prepared since 97.

He looks to be in great shape. I don't know if he has been body building or anything like that. Jan always looks very fit when he's on form. I think he just watched his weight this year and didn't do himself the disservice of putting on the extra weight in the off-season. I hope he's in top form and injury/illness-free for the TdF. He's amazing to watch when he's on form. It would be cool to finally see the epic battle between Armstrong and Ullrich that has been hyped but thus far has never really materialized.

Well it would have been closer last year if Ullrich wasn't sick at the beginning......but on dutch television he said he just couldn't do anything against lance (lance ist einfach zu sterke, quote ullrich). I always have the feeling he doesn't have that winners mentality.....you would never hear that out of the mouth of lance..ullrich is just to strong, i can't do it blalalal.

meehs said:
He looks to be in great shape. I don't know if he has been body building or anything like that. Jan always looks very fit when he's on form. I think he just watched his weight this year and didn't do himself the disservice of putting on the extra weight in the off-season. I hope he's in top form and injury/illness-free for the TdF. He's amazing to watch when he's on form. It would be cool to finally see the epic battle between Armstrong and Ullrich that has been hyped but thus far has never really materialized.

This year is jans last big chance to prove himself,if he doesn't win this time round he could win for the next 5 years and still be caught with second prize stigma, so its little wonder he looks good,I think he'll be sorry(in acertain way)to see the back of lance

Virenque said:

Pretty similar to his 2003 TDF legs.
Eurosport "Living with Bianchi" film had great behind the scene footage.
One part of the film has Ullrich getting a massage from Brigitte (his masseur) and his legs, which appear muscular when pedalling, were actually thin (as in your photo Virenque) in the film.

He does look like he's managed to control himself during thw winter.

It doesn't matter how he looks; look at how he's riding. Even LA's domestique Popo is beating him. And Sevilla is in baaaad shape.

Meanwhile, here are LA's domestiques: Ace, Chechu, Beltran, Popo, Il Falco, Noval (can all climb from excellently to fairly well), Hincapie. There's also Padrnos.

Popo can beat him, but consider that Ullrich is training there and not racing for a win.

Jan's looking fit, better then usual at this time of year. I like Jan but it seems like he gets fit before the Tour every year (a bit earlier this year) and something always happens. The one year he came close to winning was the year of the Coast troubles when he wasn't racing much. I think he has a good chance to win, but when it comes to Jan I choose to take a wait and see approach.

musette said:
It doesn't matter how he looks; look at how he's riding. Even LA's domestique Popo is beating him. And Sevilla is in baaaad shape.

Meanwhile, here are LA's domestiques: Ace, Chechu, Beltran, Popo, Il Falco, Noval (can all climb from excellently to fairly well), Hincapie. There's also Padrnos.

Ullrich's not going for GC at Catalunya : he made that clear weeks ago.

House said:
Jan's looking fit, better then usual at this time of year. I like Jan but it seems like he gets fit before the Tour every year (a bit earlier this year) and something always happens. The one year he came close to winning was the year of the Coast troubles when he wasn't racing much. I think he has a good chance to win, but when it comes to Jan I choose to take a wait and see approach.

That is a fair point.

Mind you, that was the year that Lance was bad.....nothing to do with Ullrich (well maybe that amazing first TT, one of best in his cycling career). Lance crashed a month before with 80kph at the asfalt, had marriage problems....A focussed lance would have won again with 6 min!

House said:

musette said:

he's using this race as training/warm up. He's not dumb :p