Has anyone tried new 'SR Suntour' rear derailleurs yet?

ddog

Guest
They seem to be blanked out on Google, so may not be available in US
yet. Ebay doesn't even have any in US(!!!). Was interested since just
learning about how innovative Suntour was when they were the industry
leader. SR Suntour site looks interesting as well on their website.
Mostly mtb's, but that's where the technology is born: high volume and
harsh environments.

Thanks!!

ddog wrote:
> They seem to be blanked out on Google, so may not be available in US
> yet. Ebay doesn't even have any in US(!!!). Was interested since just
> learning about how innovative Suntour was when they were the industry
> leader.

The Suntour that was an "industry leader" is long gone. Their RD
designs were eclipsed by Shimano when the Suntour patent on slant
parallelograms expired.

FWIW, a Suntour VGT, etc., was a fine RD in it's day. That day was 30+
years ago.

Google "Sunset for Suntour" for the whole story.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> The Suntour that was an "industry leader" is long gone. Their RD
> designs were eclipsed by Shimano when the Suntour patent on slant
> parallelograms expired.
>
> FWIW, a Suntour VGT, etc., was a fine RD in it's day. That day was 30+
> years ago.
>
> Google "Sunset for Suntour" for the whole story.

I've seen that, but it does not say anything about the new "SR Suntour"
company restarted in 2004. I was interested in their rd products. I'm
sure they may be more expensive than Shimano, but I just wanted to
better understand different companies rear derailleur developments.

In addition to SR Suntour's new company rd's, I'll also keep a look out
for IRD and see if they ever introduce a rd line. These seem like two
'young lion' companies to watch out for in the future, imo.

SRAM's Rival rear derailleur looks interesting, and may be as close to
competition to Shimano and Campy that anyone will come. I believe some
of their influence came from Suntour as well as other companies in
consolodation. The rear derailleur looks like ultegra level quality.
Rear derailleurs and chains appear to be strong products in SRAM's
lineup for us friction guys.

Just hate being a pioneer, lol. If anyone's had experience with SRAM
rd, or Rivial rd please speak up.

ddog wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>
>> The Suntour that was an "industry leader" is long gone. Their RD
>> designs were eclipsed by Shimano when the Suntour patent on slant
>> parallelograms expired.
>>
>> FWIW, a Suntour VGT, etc., was a fine RD in it's day. That day was 30+
>> years ago.
>>
>> Google "Sunset for Suntour" for the whole story.

> I've seen that, but it does not say anything about the new "SR Suntour"
> company restarted in 2004. I was interested in their rd products. I'm
> sure they may be more expensive than Shimano, but I just wanted to
> better understand different companies rear derailleur developments.

The new Suntour company is lowend probably trying to eventually compete
with Shimano and Campagnolo.

> In addition to SR Suntour's new company rd's, I'll also keep a look out
> for IRD and see if they ever introduce a rd line. These seem like two
> 'young lion' companies to watch out for in the future, imo.

IRD isn't quite a young lion company, they've been around in some form
or another for 20 years. It's not until the last few years where
they've branched out into a lot of outsourced parts with their name on
them, though.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:

> The new Suntour company is lowend probably trying to eventually compete
> with Shimano and Campagnolo.

I think they'd be overjoyed to compete with SRAM's low-end stuff, like
SX4. Their Duro shifter looks almost the same. The cable routing on the
RDs looks similar to the ESP models, too, coming in from the top.

ddog wrote:
> They seem to be blanked out on Google, so may not be available in US
> yet. Ebay doesn't even have any in US(!!!). Was interested since just
> learning about how innovative Suntour was when they were the industry
> leader. SR Suntour site looks interesting as well on their website.
> Mostly mtb's, but that's where the technology is born: high volume and
> harsh environments.
>
> Thanks!!

We got one and tried it and was not impressed.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> ddog wrote:
> > They seem to be blanked out on Google, so may not be available in US
> > yet. Ebay doesn't even have any in US(!!!). Was interested since just
> > learning about how innovative Suntour was when they were the industry
> > leader. SR Suntour site looks interesting as well on their website.
> > Mostly mtb's, but that's where the technology is born: high volume and
> > harsh environments.
> >
> > Thanks!!

> We got one and tried it and was not impressed.

Noted and Thanks.
Got a Centaur short rd last night. Now to get 9mm cogs :)
This stuff isn't easy, but have to chase every red herring thrown at me
to be sure.

9 speed cogs I mean.