Has anyone tried the Bigha?

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >I wish I could be that naive and foolish.

> > Dolan...your are and then some.

> No response is possible when the issues I raised are not addressed. But then
> I believe that just about says it all. Wong merely wants to get a word in
> edgewise. But Wong is Wrong! Or Wrong is Wong! But he at least has a good
> first name.

Ed I think you're OK (sometimes). I don't care what they say about
you or what you've even said of yourself in the past;-) I tend to
believe that if it were possible for all of us to get together at a
really great biking locality, our differences would instantly melt
away and we would all happily ride our recumbents as a group into the
sunset;-)

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

BiGHa related content: According to their website, you can now
finance the purchase of a BiGHa interest free until August 1, 2004.
Now there are two lower cost versions of the bike without the
electonics.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the company. Just thought
someone might be interested.

"Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Dolan...your are and then some.

> > No response is possible when the issues I raised are not addressed. But

then
> > I believe that just about says it all. Wong merely wants to get a word

in
> > edgewise. But Wong is Wrong! Or Wrong is Wong! But he at least has a

good
> > first name.

> Ed I think you're OK (sometimes). I don't care what they say about
> you or what you've even said of yourself in the past;-) I tend to
> believe that if it were possible for all of us to get together at a
> really great biking locality, our differences would instantly melt
> away and we would all happily ride our recumbents as a group into the
> sunset;-)
>
> Edward Wong
> Orlando, FL

I was all set to take on yet another adversary, but Mr.Wong has totally
disarmed me by his gracious post. I can't understand why the rest of you
aren't able to see me like Mr.Wong as the big purring ***** cat that I am.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Dolan...your are and then some.

> > No response is possible when the issues I raised are not addressed. But

then
> > I believe that just about says it all. Wong merely wants to get a word

in
> > edgewise. But Wong is Wrong! Or Wrong is Wong! But he at least has a

good
> > first name.

> Ed I think you're OK (sometimes). I don't care what they say about
> you or what you've even said of yourself in the past;-) I tend to
> believe that if it were possible for all of us to get together at a
> really great biking locality, our differences would instantly melt
> away and we would all happily ride our recumbents as a group into the
> sunset;-)
>
> Edward Wong
> Orlando, FL

That is almost always the case, most people are different behind the
keyboard than in real life (including me)

> BiGHa related content: According to their website, you can now
> finance the purchase of a BiGHa interest free until August 1, 2004.
> Now there are two lower cost versions of the bike without the
> electonics.
>
> Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the company. Just thought
> someone might be interested.

Lorenzo will still accuse you of being associated with BigHa :)

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[...]
> > Ed I think you're OK (sometimes). I don't care what they say about
> > you or what you've even said of yourself in the past;-) I tend to
> > believe that if it were possible for all of us to get together at a
> > really great biking locality, our differences would instantly melt
> > away and we would all happily ride our recumbents as a group into the
> > sunset;-)
> >
> > Edward Wong
> > Orlando, FL

> That is almost always the case, most people are different behind the
> keyboard than in real life (including me)

I have been puzzling about this phenomenon for sometime myself. I think it
is because we cannot present ourselves in our totality (as we could in real
life) behind the keyboard, but only a single aspect of ourselves due to the
limited nature of the short narrowly focused messages we are sending to one
another. The one thing we value most in our lives is our own ego
(individuality), and so that aspect of ourselves gets presented out of all
proportion to everything else. I must admit when I am occasionally rereading
some of my messages that I have posted to the newsgroup, I don't recognize
myself. I am thinking all the time - did I really say that?

When I send someone an email it is more like an old fashion letter and I
note I am altogether a more whole person than I am on Usenet. So I don't
think it is just the keyboard itself that is the cause of it, but rather the
nature of the kind of messages that we are writing on Usenet. In real life
and in our letters we want to come across as whole persons; on Usenet we are
not concerned with that because we are narrowly focused on just a single
issue and it takes all our energy and effort to make our points without
getting into very extended much longer messages. None of us are at our best
on Usenet.

I am playing the most dangerous game of all because I do not care about
staying on-topic and I am into opinion more than I am into facts. Usenet
does work best for strictly on-topic type of messages as that allows for
only a bit of ego (provided we stick to the facts). But all bets are off
when we get off-topic and into the universe of opinion as opposed to the
universe of facts. That is why contention always surrounds me on ARBR, and
it never surrounds me in real life or in my more civilized letters. ARBR has
been a real eye opener for me I must admit. I think maybe if I tone down my
messages somewhat it might be better all around.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> Edward Dolan wrote:
>>

>>> Yes I do disagree! The value is not up to the individual. What do
>>> individuals (the average slob consumer) know about anything anyway
>>> except
>>> what reviewers tell them.

>> Absolute ****. The value is *always* up to the individual. Only the
>> truly brain-dead or submissive sheep would ever believe or have it any
>> other way.
>> Think for yourself!
>>

> So when individuals express their opinion of the poor value of the
> Bigha, why do you get so defensive?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

I don't. I have never defended the BiGHA. Read what I write.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]
>
>>Ed is a fool and I suggest putting him on ignore like I did ages ago,
>>besides for some reason I doubt he picked his last car or the house he

> lives
>
>>in based only on price and weight :)

> Leuck is an even bigger fool because he never knows what he is talking
> about. Lorenzo has shown him up over an over again, yet he goes on and on.
> He can't answer the simplest of questions. All he knows how to do is to
> obfuscate and this sort of thing only fools other fools like Varney - who
> never has a clue about anything. Leuck and Varney are two of a kind. They
> both think not only a $3000. bike that weighs 50 pounds is OK, but this
> extreme fool Leuck would even pay $8000. for a carbon fiber type of bike.
> Varney no doubt would chime in that an $8000. bike should be considered
> because there are considerations other than price that might somehow
> justify it. If ever there was a case of anyone having more money than brains
> ... I give you Leuck and Varney.
>
> But here we have another classic case of a kill filer who is contributing to
> a thread of which I am also a major contributor and he is not reading my
> messages. Now you see why I have nothing but contempt for these types of
> scoundrels. I shall reserve a special venom for this asshole Leuck now that
> I know he has kill filed me and yet feels free to comment on me - based on
> what? Bits and pieces of other's posts. Not good enough! Varney is at least
> in the ball game as far as I am concerned, but this asshole Leuck is most
> definitely not.

I have never said that $3000 for a bike that weighs 50 pounds is OK.
Never have. Read what I write, Dolan.

--

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>>
>>> I'll try again: Is the Bigha a good value for YOU? If you don't know,
>>> why are you so worried about people who do have opinions?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L. Love

>> And I'll try again: I'll let you know once I've ridden it. And other
>> people's opinions do not have any relationship at all to my not having
>> ridden a BiGHA, nor with my not having an idea as to the value of it,
>> for me.
>>

> So why are you so invested in running down other people opinion of it's
> poor value? Thirty some posts of telling people their opinions are
> useless. Why so defensive of Bigha?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> "Freedom rings where opinions clash."
> Adlai E. Stevenson

Never have defended the BiGHA, Love. Never have been "defensive" of
it. And as for "running down other people opinion of it's poor value" -
read what I write. I have pointed out, time and again, that there are
many criteria to a purchase, and that weight and price are not the only
two that should or could be considered.
As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
something much higher.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:

> [...]
>
>>>Actually, Mark, Bob Bryant of RCN has gotten into considerable trouble

> over
>
>>>the years because he has given some slightly bad reviews to various
>>>recumbent manufacturers. Needless to say, those of us who subscribe to

> RCN
>
>>>have enormous respect for him because of this. I believe he has also

> lost
>
>>>advertising revenue in that some manufacturers (fairly major) will not
>>>advertise in his magazine or even send him information for listing. I

> would
>
>>>never consider buying any recumbent from such a manufacturer. Mr. Bryant

> has
>
>>>enormous credibility with his readership because of the stands he has

> taken
>
>>>over the years. He is for the consumer, not the manufacturer. How unlike
>>>Varney he is! Mr. Bryant will tell you what is good value and why. That

> is
>
>>>why his publication is worth every penny of the subscription price.
>>>

>> ********, Dolan! Get you head out into the air and read what I'm
>>about to write: I will tell you what I think about a bike, ONCE I'VE
>>RIDDEN IT! Unliked certain cretins, I do not come to a determination of
>>the value of a bike, TO ME, until I've done that!
>> Yes, I realize that you feel that actually experiencing something is
>>not worth the effort, that a better way of judging a bike is by not
>>riding it, but merely being told what the price and weight are.
>> I don't happen to agree with that. And, I would be willing to bet
>>that Bob Bryant feels the same way. I do not believe he ever wrote a
>>review or a recommendation of a bike he had never ridden. Anyone who
>>tells you what a "good value" something is, based solely on ignorance
>>and prejudice, is someone to avoid.
>> But they are funny to listen to, so keep up the good work, Dolan and
>>Love.

> I was under the impression that Varney had ridden the Bigha and that he was
> recommending it because there were considerations other than weight and
> price which might make it a good value for some individuals. Well, if he has
> never ridden it and he is not recommending it, then I do not know what all
> these posts on this thread are about. I have already stated previously that
> weight and price are the MOST important considerations, but not the ONLY
> considerations. I think that is what he is saying also.

Read what I write, Dolan. I have said, over and over and over, that I
have never ridden the BiGHA, and that's why I don't tell people if it's
a good value or not. I have never recommended it, I have never condemned
it, I have never made 'value' statements about it at all.
If you don't know what I've written previously, if you don't know
what these posts have been about, then you probably won't understand
this one, either.

--

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>
>> Larry Varney wrote:

>>> And I'll try again: I'll let you know once I've ridden it. And
>>> other people's opinions do not have any relationship at all to my not
>>> having ridden a BiGHA, nor with my not having an idea as to the value
>>> of it, for me.
>>>

>> So why are you so invested in running down other people opinion of
>> it's poor value? Thirty some posts of telling people their opinions
>> are useless. Why so defensive of Bigha?
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love
>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>
>> "Freedom rings where opinions clash."
>> Adlai E. Stevenson
>>

> Never have defended the BiGHA, Love. Never have been "defensive" of
> it. And as for "running down other people opinion of it's poor value" -
> read what I write. I have pointed out, time and again, that there are
> many criteria to a purchase, and that weight and price are not the only
> two that should or could be considered.
> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
> have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
> less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
> what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
> something much higher.

So how much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor for your online magazine?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Thirst makes any wine drinkable
And greed makes any crime thinkable.

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:05:31 GMT, "Lorenzo L. Love"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> This is about value. Do YOU thing a Bigha is a good value? You don't
>>> need to buy one to determine that. Do you think that a 50 lb comfort
>>> bike is a good value at $3000?

>> No, this is about your monomania. You have a problem and you've spent
>> a lot more time on this than it is worth. I've spent a lot less time,
>> but time spent talking to you is wasted, so yes, I've wasted enough
>> time as it is.
>>
>> Curtis L. Russell
>> Odenton, MD (USA)
>> Just someone on two wheels...

> Why does such a simple question cause such a kneejerk defensive
> reaction? Do you thing a Bigha is a good value? Do you think that a 50
> lb comfort bike is a good value at $3000? People like Larry Varney have
> a financial reason, Bigha is an sponsor of his webmagazine. Can't say
> bad things about a sponsor. What is your connection with Bigha that
> compels you to attack anyone who is critical of them?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Hold on a minute, Love. I do not have a "financial reason". Read what
I write: over and over and over again, I keep telling you and your
friend that I HAVE NOT RIDDEN THE BIGHA. And, just like with those other
bikes and trikes I have not ridden, I will not tell people if it's a
good value or not.
Do you understand that?

--

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Hashim El Amin wrote:
>
>>> Because if you didn't give a fair and impartial review, you wouldn't
>>> be working for Consumer Reports for long. Consumer Reports, because
>>> they buy the product and are not dependent on the manufacturers for
>>> free products, can insist on fair reviews. Who does that for recumbents?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L. Love
>>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>>
>>> Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

>> If your publication does not give fair or impartial reviews on any
>> product, the market will reject you and you'll soon be out of
>> business. Do you think Ebert pays to see all the movies he reviews?
>> No, but he still sticks his thumb down at some of them.
>>
>> IMO, all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. Surely, the
>> company is out to impress the reviewer, giving them special service
>> and attention. Then you have to take into account the reviewer is not
>> exactly like you and may not have your same preferences (unless you're
>> a follower like Ed Dolan). Finally and perhaps most importantly, a
>> review is only a snapshot of the ownership experience. I don't want to
>> know what happened with the Bigha in the first day or week of riding,
>> I want to know what happens 1 year and 5 years down the road. Will it
>> fall apart? Will I still enjoy riding it? No review will ever answer
>> these questions.
>>
>> I think you are too critical of Bentrider Online. If they make a
>> profit at all, its got to be tiny. They're not getting rich off of it
>> so they only do it for the love of recumbency. I could be wrong, but
>> my assumption has always been that Varney contributes on a voluntary
>> basis only. For God's sake, they opened up a donation wire so people
>> could give money to help keep things going!
>>
>> If they give overly-positive reviews it's certainly got nothing to do
>> with financial reasons.

> There are over 30 sponsors listed on their homepage, one of which is
> Bigha. I've no idea how much they charge for sponsorship but there is
> obviously a financial relationship. This is true for most product
> related magazines. Magazines like Consumer Reports who are independent
> of sponsorship/advertisement revenue are rare. Varney is not just a
> contributor, he's an editor. You're right, all reviews must be taken
> with a grain of salt, sometimes a bigger grain then others. But Varney
> didn't review the Bigha, he says he never rode it, yet he is an staunch
> defender of it. A staunch defender of a sponsor. Draw your own conclusions.
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> Thirst makes any wine drinkable
> And greed makes any crime thinkable.

I have never defended the BiGHA. Never. And yet Lorenzo Love
continues to lie. Draw your own conclusions.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
[...]
> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
> have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
> less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
> what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
> something much higher.

Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects who have no first
hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on the reports of others.
Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category. Those of us who have
had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to make an assessment
of a new recumbent based on our past experience with other recumbents. We do
not have to have first hand experience. We do not have to ride the bike.

Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread. Been on vacation
doing a bike ride?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

>>> If your publication does not give fair or impartial reviews on any
>>> product, the market will reject you and you'll soon be out of
>>> business. Do you think Ebert pays to see all the movies he reviews?
>>> No, but he still sticks his thumb down at some of them.
>>>
>>> IMO, all reviews must be taken with a grain of salt. Surely, the
>>> company is out to impress the reviewer, giving them special service
>>> and attention. Then you have to take into account the reviewer is not
>>> exactly like you and may not have your same preferences (unless you're
>>> a follower like Ed Dolan). Finally and perhaps most importantly, a
>>> review is only a snapshot of the ownership experience. I don't want to
>>> know what happened with the Bigha in the first day or week of riding,
>>> I want to know what happens 1 year and 5 years down the road. Will it
>>> fall apart? Will I still enjoy riding it? No review will ever answer
>>> these questions.
>>>
>>> I think you are too critical of Bentrider Online. If they make a
>>> profit at all, its got to be tiny. They're not getting rich off of it
>>> so they only do it for the love of recumbency. I could be wrong, but
>>> my assumption has always been that Varney contributes on a voluntary
>>> basis only. For God's sake, they opened up a donation wire so people
>>> could give money to help keep things going!
>>>
>>> If they give overly-positive reviews it's certainly got nothing to do
>>> with financial reasons.

>> There are over 30 sponsors listed on their homepage, one of which is
>> Bigha. I've no idea how much they charge for sponsorship but there is
>> obviously a financial relationship. This is true for most product
>> related magazines. Magazines like Consumer Reports who are independent
>> of sponsorship/advertisement revenue are rare. Varney is not just a
>> contributor, he's an editor. You're right, all reviews must be taken
>> with a grain of salt, sometimes a bigger grain then others. But Varney
>> didn't review the Bigha, he says he never rode it, yet he is an
>> staunch defender of it. A staunch defender of a sponsor. Draw your own
>> conclusions.
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love
>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>
>> Thirst makes any wine drinkable
>> And greed makes any crime thinkable.
>>

> I have never defended the BiGHA. Never. And yet Lorenzo Love continues
> to lie. Draw your own conclusions.

How much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor on your online magazine?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about
other people."
Virginia Woolf (1882-1941).

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>
>> Curtis L. Russell wrote:

>>> No, this is about your monomania. You have a problem and you've spent
>>> a lot more time on this than it is worth. I've spent a lot less time,
>>> but time spent talking to you is wasted, so yes, I've wasted enough
>>> time as it is.
>>>
>>> Curtis L. Russell
>>> Odenton, MD (USA)
>>> Just someone on two wheels...

>> Why does such a simple question cause such a kneejerk defensive
>> reaction? Do you thing a Bigha is a good value? Do you think that a 50
>> lb comfort bike is a good value at $3000? People like Larry Varney
>> have a financial reason, Bigha is an sponsor of his webmagazine. Can't
>> say bad things about a sponsor. What is your connection with Bigha
>> that compels you to attack anyone who is critical of them?
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love
>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>

> Hold on a minute, Love. I do not have a "financial reason". Read what
> I write: over and over and over again, I keep telling you and your
> friend that I HAVE NOT RIDDEN THE BIGHA. And, just like with those other
> bikes and trikes I have not ridden, I will not tell people if it's a
> good value or not.
> Do you understand that?

So why all the foaming at the mouth about someone who makes the obvious
observation that the Bigha costs an absurd amount for a heavy comfort
bike? How much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor on your online magazine?

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

>>> So why are you so invested in running down other people opinion of
>>> it's poor value? Thirty some posts of telling people their opinions
>>> are useless. Why so defensive of Bigha?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L. Love
>>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>>
>>> "Freedom rings where opinions clash."
>>> Adlai E. Stevenson
>>>

>> Never have defended the BiGHA, Love. Never have been "defensive" of
>> it. And as for "running down other people opinion of it's poor value"
>> - read what I write. I have pointed out, time and again, that there
>> are many criteria to a purchase, and that weight and price are not the
>> only two that should or could be considered.
>> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
>> have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
>> less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
>> what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
>> something much higher.
>>

> So how much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor for your online magazine?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> Thirst makes any wine drinkable
> And greed makes any crime thinkable.

It's not my magazine. As to how much they pay, I have no idea. Why
don't you ask the owner? I'm sure he'd be more than happy to tell you.

--

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> [...]
>
>> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
>>have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
>>less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
>>what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
>>something much higher.

> Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects who have no first
> hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on the reports of others.
> Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category. Those of us who have
> had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to make an assessment
> of a new recumbent based on our past experience with other recumbents. We do
> not have to have first hand experience. We do not have to ride the bike.
>
> Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread. Been on vacation
> doing a bike ride?

Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any "expert" who has
no first-hand experience and relies instead on the reports of others, is
not worth very much - except as a substitute for a parrot.
You made a comment in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that you
stand behind none of your posts, but instead prefer the "sui generis"
dodge - that some recumbent seats are uncomfortable, and that a rider
really needs to try them out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind
of goes against your whole contention that actual experience is
overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it? Can't you, who are "quite
qualified" due to riding one recumbent or several, able to "make an
assessment" about seat comfort without having actually sat on it, nor
ridden it?

--

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

>>> Why does such a simple question cause such a kneejerk defensive
>>> reaction? Do you thing a Bigha is a good value? Do you think that a
>>> 50 lb comfort bike is a good value at $3000? People like Larry Varney
>>> have a financial reason, Bigha is an sponsor of his webmagazine.
>>> Can't say bad things about a sponsor. What is your connection with
>>> Bigha that compels you to attack anyone who is critical of them?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L. Love
>>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>>

>> Hold on a minute, Love. I do not have a "financial reason". Read
>> what I write: over and over and over again, I keep telling you and
>> your friend that I HAVE NOT RIDDEN THE BIGHA. And, just like with
>> those other bikes and trikes I have not ridden, I will not tell people
>> if it's a good value or not.
>> Do you understand that?
>>

> So why all the foaming at the mouth about someone who makes the obvious
> observation that the Bigha costs an absurd amount for a heavy comfort
> bike? How much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor on your online magazine?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love
> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

No foaming at the mouth at all from me, Lorenzo. And don't be so
modest - you have done much more than make an observation about the
price of the BiGHA. Or don't you recall all of the comments you've made
about those who would pay such a price? If there's any foaming being
done, it's coming, if you'll pardon the expression, from your end.
I do not have an online magazine. I do have a home page, and if you'd
like me to quote you a rate to be an advertiser on it, I'd be glad to.
--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > [...]
> >
> >> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have said that. I
> >>have pointed out that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
> >>less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
> >>what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves off as
> >>something much higher.

> > Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects who have no

first
> > hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on the reports of

others.
> > Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category. Those of us who

have
> > had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to make an

assessment
> > of a new recumbent based on our past experience with other recumbents.

We do
> > not have to have first hand experience. We do not have to ride the bike.
> >
> > Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread. Been on

vacation
> > doing a bike ride?
> >

> Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any "expert" who has
> no first-hand experience and relies instead on the reports of others, is
> not worth very much - except as a substitute for a parrot.
> You made a comment in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that you
> stand behind none of your posts, but instead prefer the "sui generis"
> dodge - that some recumbent seats are uncomfortable, and that a rider
> really needs to try them out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind
> of goes against your whole contention that actual experience is
> overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it? Can't you, who are "quite
> qualified" due to riding one recumbent or several, able to "make an
> assessment" about seat comfort without having actually sat on it, nor
> ridden it?

Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on my own words. Yes,
you do have to try out the damn seats as you can not predict what they are
going to be like from previous experience with other seats. This also
applies to a lesser degree with the steering and handling. However, not
being a millionaire, I can safely avoid $3000. comfort bikes weighing 50
pounds without giving it a second thought. Mr. Varney's mistake is that he
can give such bikes second thoughts.

So how was the Indiana ride?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:p[email protected]...
>>>[...]
>>>

>>>Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects who have no

> first
>
>>>hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on the reports of

> others.
>
>>>Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category. Those of us who

> have
>
>>>had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to make an

> assessment
>
>>>of a new recumbent based on our past experience with other recumbents.

> We do
>
>>>not have to have first hand experience. We do not have to ride the bike.
>>>
>>>Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread. Been on

> vacation
>
>>>doing a bike ride?
>>>

>> Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any "expert" who has
>>no first-hand experience and relies instead on the reports of others, is
>>not worth very much - except as a substitute for a parrot.
>> You made a comment in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that you
>>stand behind none of your posts, but instead prefer the "sui generis"
>>dodge - that some recumbent seats are uncomfortable, and that a rider
>>really needs to try them out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind
>>of goes against your whole contention that actual experience is
>>overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it? Can't you, who are "quite
>>qualified" due to riding one recumbent or several, able to "make an
>>assessment" about seat comfort without having actually sat on it, nor
>>ridden it?

> Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on my own words. Yes,
> you do have to try out the damn seats as you can not predict what they are
> going to be like from previous experience with other seats. This also
> applies to a lesser degree with the steering and handling. However, not
> being a millionaire, I can safely avoid $3000. comfort bikes weighing 50
> pounds without giving it a second thought. Mr. Varney's mistake is that he
> can give such bikes second thoughts.
>
> So how was the Indiana ride?

I am *not* giving "such bikes second thoughts". I have not commented,
favorably or unfaorably, on the BiGHA, nor on any other bike or trike
that I haven't ridden. I have not considered, neither first or second
thought, on buying the BiGHA - and it has nothing to do with either its
weight or its price.
Your reasoning is faulty, btw. The "not being a millionaire" - that
sounds like it's the price that's keeping you away, that's allowing you
to "safely avoid $3000 comfort bikes". But what if it were another type
of bike, one that you would like, one that, for example, weighs quite a
bit less? Same price, different weight? Wouldn't the "not being a
millionaire" still apply?
Anyway, the Indiana ride - and the Illinois one, too - were fun as
usual. I just wisht that I were doing them again this week, rather than
just remembering them.
I do wish that the state parks would stop fiddling with their shower
thermostats the week before we arrive, as that seems to be the common
excuse given for cold showers ("They were warm last week, honest!").
Perhaps the answer is to go with tours that utilize shower trucks, such
as Bike Florida.

--

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>
>> Larry Varney wrote:

>>> Hold on a minute, Love. I do not have a "financial reason". Read
>>> what I write: over and over and over again, I keep telling you and
>>> your friend that I HAVE NOT RIDDEN THE BIGHA. And, just like with
>>> those other bikes and trikes I have not ridden, I will not tell
>>> people if it's a good value or not.
>>> Do you understand that?
>>>

>> So why all the foaming at the mouth about someone who makes the
>> obvious observation that the Bigha costs an absurd amount for a heavy
>> comfort bike? How much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor on your online
>> magazine?
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love
>> http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>

> No foaming at the mouth at all from me, Lorenzo. And don't be so
> modest - you have done much more than make an observation about the
> price of the BiGHA. Or don't you recall all of the comments you've made
> about those who would pay such a price? If there's any foaming being
> done, it's coming, if you'll pardon the expression, from your end.
> I do not have an online magazine. I do have a home page, and if you'd
> like me to quote you a rate to be an advertiser on it, I'd be glad to.

Larry Varney is an editor of the online magazine bentrideronline.com of
which Bigha is a sponsor. Denial of an connection with Bigha is at best
disingenuous. Every time someone is critical of this sponsor, based on
the known facts, Varney goes into attack mode even though he claims to
have no opinion on this bike. People are invited to make their own