Has anyone tried the Bigha?

Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:

>>> So why are you so invested in running down other people
>>> opinion of it's poor value? Thirty some posts of telling
>>> people their opinions are useless. Why so defensive of
>>> Bigha?
>>>
>>> Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>>
>>> "Freedom rings where opinions clash." Adlai E. Stevenson
>>>

>> Never have defended the BiGHA, Love. Never have been
>> "defensive" of
>> it. And as for "running down other people opinion of it's
>> poor value"
>> - read what I write. I have pointed out, time and again,
>> that there are many criteria to a purchase, and that
>> weight and price are not the only two that should or
>> could be considered. As to those whose opinions are
>> worthless - I never have said that. I have pointed out
>> that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
>> less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be
>> considered for what they are - examples of ignorance
>> trying to pass themselves off as something much higher.
>>

> So how much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor for your online
> magazine?
>
> Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>
> Thirst makes any wine drinkable And greed makes any crime
> thinkable.

It's not my magazine. As to how much they pay, I have no
idea. Why
don't you ask the owner? I'm sure he'd be more than happy
to tell you.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]... [...]
>
>> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never have
>> said that. I have pointed out that the opinions of
>> those who have never seen, much less ridden, any bike,
>> including the BiGHA, should be considered for what they
>> are - examples of ignorance trying to pass themselves
>> off as something much higher.
>

> Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects
> who have no first hand experience of their subjects.
> It is all based on the reports of others. Most
> scholarship and teaching falls into this category.
> Those of us who have had experience riding recumbents
> are quite qualified to make an assessment of a new
> recumbent based on our past experience with other
> recumbents. We do not have to have first hand
> experience. We do not have to ride the bike.
>
> Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread.
> Been on vacation doing a bike ride?

Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any
"expert" who has no first-hand experience and relies
instead on the reports of others, is not worth very much
- except as a substitute for a parrot. You made a comment
in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that you stand
behind none of your posts, but instead prefer the "sui
generis" dodge - that some recumbent seats are
uncomfortable, and that a rider really needs to try them
out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind of goes
against your whole contention that actual experience is
overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it? Can't you, who are
"quite qualified" due to riding one recumbent or several,
able to "make an assessment" about seat comfort without
having actually sat on it, nor ridden it?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]... [...]
> >
> >> As to those whose opinions are worthless - I never
> >> have said that. I have pointed out that the opinions
> >> of those who have never seen, much less ridden, any
> >> bike, including the BiGHA, should be considered for
> >> what they are - examples of ignorance trying to pass
> >> themselves off as something much higher.
> >

> > Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable
> > subjects who have no
first
> > hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on
> > the reports of
others.
> > Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category.
> > Those of us who
have
> > had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to
> > make an
assessment
> > of a new recumbent based on our past experience with
> > other recumbents.
We do
> > not have to have first hand experience. We do not have
> > to ride the bike.
> >
> > Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread.
> > Been on
vacation
> > doing a bike ride?
> >

> Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any
> "expert" who has no first-hand experience and relies
> instead on the reports of others, is not worth very
> much - except as a substitute for a parrot. You made a
> comment in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that
> you stand behind none of your posts, but instead prefer
> the "sui generis" dodge - that some recumbent seats are
> uncomfortable, and that a rider really needs to try
> them out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind of
> goes against your whole contention that actual
> experience is overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it?
> Can't you, who are "quite qualified" due to riding one
> recumbent or several, able to "make an assessment"
> about seat comfort without having actually sat on it,
> nor ridden it?

Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on my
own words. Yes, you do have to try out the damn seats as
you can not predict what they are going to be like from
previous experience with other seats. This also applies
to a lesser degree with the steering and handling.
However, not being a millionaire, I can safely avoid
$3000. comfort bikes weighing 50 pounds without giving
it a second thought. Mr. Varney's mistake is that he can
give such bikes second thoughts.

So how was the Indiana ride?

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:p[email protected]... [...]
>>>

>>>Mr. Varney, there are experts on all conceivable subjects
>>> who have no
>
> first
>
>>>hand experience of their subjects. It is all based on the
>>>reports of
>
> others.
>
>>>Most scholarship and teaching falls into this category.
>>>Those of us who
>
> have
>
>>>had experience riding recumbents are quite qualified to
>>>make an
>
> assessment
>
>>>of a new recumbent based on our past experience with
>>>other recumbents.
>
> We do
>
>>>not have to have first hand experience. We do not have to
>>>ride the bike.
>>>
>>>Why the belated posts on this particular subject thread.
>>>Been on
>
> vacation
>
>>>doing a bike ride?
>>>

>> Actually, two bike rides: GITAP and TRIRI. And any
>> "expert" who has no first-hand experience and relies
>> instead on the reports of others, is not worth very
>> much - except as a substitute for a parrot. You made a
>> comment in an earlier posting - and yes, I know that
>> you stand behind none of your posts, but instead prefer
>> the "sui generis" dodge - that some recumbent seats are
>> uncomfortable, and that a rider really needs to try
>> them out to make sure that they feel OK. That kind of
>> goes against your whole contention that actual
>> experience is overrated and unnecessary, doesn't it?
>> Can't you, who are "quite qualified" due to riding one
>> recumbent or several, able to "make an assessment"
>> about seat comfort without having actually sat on it,
>> nor ridden it?
>

> Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on my
> own words. Yes, you do have to try out the damn seats
> as you can not predict what they are going to be like
> from previous experience with other seats. This also
> applies to a lesser degree with the steering and
> handling. However, not being a millionaire, I can
> safely avoid $3000. comfort bikes weighing 50 pounds
> without giving it a second thought. Mr. Varney's
> mistake is that he can give such bikes second
> thoughts.
>
> So how was the Indiana ride?

I am *not* giving "such bikes second thoughts". I have
not commented, favorably or unfaorably, on the BiGHA, nor
on any other bike or trike that I haven't ridden. I have
not considered, neither first or second thought, on
buying the BiGHA - and it has nothing to do with either
its weight or its price. Your reasoning is faulty, btw.
The "not being a millionaire" - that sounds like it's the
price that's keeping you away, that's allowing you to
"safely avoid $3000 comfort bikes". But what if it were
another type of bike, one that you would like, one that,
for example, weighs quite a bit less? Same price,
different weight? Wouldn't the "not being a millionaire"
still apply? Anyway, the Indiana ride - and the Illinois
one, too - were fun as usual. I just wisht that I were
doing them again this week, rather than just remembering
them. I do wish that the state parks would stop fiddling
with their shower thermostats the week before we arrive,
as that seems to be the common excuse given for cold
showers ("They were warm last week, honest!"). Perhaps
the answer is to go with tours that utilize shower
trucks, such as Bike Florida.

--

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>
>> Larry Varney wrote:

>>> Never have defended the BiGHA, Love. Never have been
>>> "defensive" of
>>> it. And as for "running down other people opinion of
>>> it's poor value"
>>> - read what I write. I have pointed out, time and again,
>>> that there are many criteria to a purchase, and that
>>> weight and price are not the only two that should or
>>> could be considered. As to those whose opinions are
>>> worthless - I never have said that. I have pointed out
>>> that the opinions of those who have never seen, much
>>> less ridden, any bike, including the BiGHA, should be
>>> considered for what they are - examples of ignorance
>>> trying to pass themselves off as something much
>>> higher.
>>>

>> So how much does Bigha pay to be a sponsor for your
>> online magazine?
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove
>>
>> Thirst makes any wine drinkable And greed makes any crime
>> thinkable.
>>

> It's not my magazine. As to how much they pay, I have no
> idea. Why
> don't you ask the owner? I'm sure he'd be more than happy
> to tell you.

Larry Varney is an editor of the online magazine
bentrideronline.com of which Bigha is a sponsor. Denial of
an connection with Bigha is at best disingenuous. Every time
someone is critical of this sponsor, based on the known
facts, Varney goes into attack mode even though he claims to
have no opinion on this bike. People are invited to make
their own conclusions.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell
it about other people." Virginia Woolf (1882-1941).

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on
> > my own words.
Yes,
> > you do have to try out the damn seats as you can not
> > predict what they
are
> > going to be like from previous experience with other
> > seats. This also applies to a lesser degree with the
> > steering and handling. However, not being a millionaire,
> > I can safely avoid $3000. comfort bikes weighing 50
> > pounds without giving it a second thought. Mr. Varney's
> > mistake is that
he
> > can give such bikes second thoughts.
> >
> > So how was the Indiana ride?
> >

> I am *not* giving "such bikes second thoughts". I have
> not commented, favorably or unfaorably, on the BiGHA,
> nor on any other bike or trike that I haven't ridden. I
> have not considered, neither first or second thought,
> on buying the BiGHA - and it has nothing to do with
> either its weight or its price.

If you haven't ruled it out on the basis of price and weight
then you have given it a second thought. Unlike Lorenzo and
me, who are both geniuses, we have ruled it out on the basis
of price and weight. But not everyone can be smart like us.
Some folks are dumb like you. Apparently you are waiting to
ride it so you can decide. Lorenzo and I do not have to ride
it in order to KNOW that it is a very bad buy.

> Your reasoning is faulty, btw. The "not being a
> millionaire" - that sounds like it's the price that's
> keeping you away, that's allowing you to "safely avoid
> $3000 comfort bikes". But what if it were another type
> of bike, one that you would like, one that, for
> example, weighs quite a bit less? Same price, different
> weight? Wouldn't the "not being a millionaire" still
> apply?

The adjective "and" as it applies to price and weight is
critical to this whole discussion. There has got to be
something wrong with the way your brain works. From pictures
of you that I have seen on the Internet, you do not look
like a rich person to me. The fact is that most rich people
would not be caught dead on any recumbent - period! They
prefer Jaguars.

> Anyway, the Indiana ride - and the Illinois one, too -
> were fun as usual. I just wisht that I were doing them
> again this week, rather than just remembering them. I
> do wish that the state parks would stop fiddling with
> their shower thermostats the week before we arrive, as
> that seems to be the common excuse given for cold
> showers ("They were warm last week, honest!"). Perhaps
> the answer is to go with tours that utilize shower
> trucks, such as Bike Florida.

Most of the week long organized group tours that I have done
(quite a few) use school facilities for their headquarters
for the overnights. Occasionally, I too have experienced
state parks, city parks and county fairgrounds, and they are
never as good. When the weather turns really bad it is very
nice to have a high school building to retreat to. The
showers are a minor thing with me, but I do like a nice warm
building to get into when the weather turns cold and nasty.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>Mr. Varney has scored heavily here as he has got me on my
>>> own words.
>
> Yes,
>
>>>you do have to try out the damn seats as you can not
>>>predict what they
>
> are
>
>>>going to be like from previous experience with other
>>>seats. This also applies to a lesser degree with the
>>>steering and handling. However, not being a millionaire,
>>>I can safely avoid $3000. comfort bikes weighing 50
>>>pounds without giving it a second thought. Mr. Varney's
>>>mistake is that
>
> he
>
>>>can give such bikes second thoughts.
>>>
>>>So how was the Indiana ride?
>>>

>> I am *not* giving "such bikes second thoughts". I have
>> not commented, favorably or unfaorably, on the BiGHA,
>> nor on any other bike or trike that I haven't ridden. I
>> have not considered, neither first or second thought,
>> on buying the BiGHA - and it has nothing to do with
>> either its weight or its price.
>

> If you haven't ruled it out on the basis of price and
> weight then you have given it a second thought. Unlike
> Lorenzo and me, who are both geniuses, we have ruled it
> out on the basis of price and weight. But not everyone can
> be smart like us. Some folks are dumb like you. Apparently
> you are waiting to ride it so you can decide. Lorenzo and
> I do not have to ride it in order to KNOW that it is a
> very bad buy.

Did you read what you responded to? Did you read where I
said that I was NOT giving it "second thoughts"? Didn't
that tell you that I was not considering buying the bike?
But no, I did not decide not to buy it, just "on the
basis of price and weight" - I do not believe that a
valid buying decision is based just on those two
criteria. I don't buy food, cars, houses, nor bicycles on
just those two criteria, and I find it interesting and
peculiar to meet two "geniuses" who do.

>> Your reasoning is faulty, btw. The "not being a
>> millionaire" - that sounds like it's the price that's
>> keeping you away, that's allowing you to "safely avoid
>> $3000 comfort bikes". But what if it were another type
>> of bike, one that you would like, one that, for
>> example, weighs quite a bit less? Same price, different
>> weight? Wouldn't the "not being a millionaire" still
>> apply?
>

> The adjective "and" as it applies to price and weight is
> critical to this whole discussion. There has got to be
> something wrong with the way your brain works. From
> pictures of you that I have seen on the Internet, you do
> not look like a rich person to me. The fact is that most
> rich people would not be caught dead on any recumbent -
> period! They prefer Jaguars.

Normally, I would not point this out, but I hate to see a
"genius"
make such a mistake without offering assistance. 'And' is
not an adjective.

>> Anyway, the Indiana ride - and the Illinois one, too -
>> were fun as usual. I just wisht that I were doing them
>> again this week, rather than just remembering them. I
>> do wish that the state parks would stop fiddling with
>> their shower thermostats the week before we arrive, as
>> that seems to be the common excuse given for cold
>> showers ("They were warm last week, honest!"). Perhaps
>> the answer is to go with tours that utilize shower
>> trucks, such as Bike Florida.
>

> Most of the week long organized group tours that I have
> done (quite a few) use school facilities for their
> headquarters for the overnights. Occasionally, I too have
> experienced state parks, city parks and county
> fairgrounds, and they are never as good. When the weather
> turns really bad it is very nice to have a high school
> building to retreat to. The showers are a minor thing with
> me, but I do like a nice warm building to get into when
> the weather turns cold and nasty.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... [...]
> > If you haven't ruled it out on the basis of price and
> > weight then you
have
> > given it a second thought. Unlike Lorenzo and me, who
> > are both geniuses,
we
> > have ruled it out on the basis of price and weight. But
> > not everyone can
be
> > smart like us. Some folks are dumb like you. Apparently
> > you are waiting
> > ride it so you can decide. Lorenzo and I do not have to
> > ride it in order
> > KNOW that it is a very bad buy.
> >

> Did you read what you responded to? Did you read where
> I said that I was NOT giving it "second thoughts"?
> Didn't that tell you that I was not considering buying
> the bike? But no, I did not decide not to buy it, just
> "on the basis of price and weight" - I do not believe
> that a valid buying decision is based just on those two
> criteria.

But I do - at least negatively when it comes to a bike! You
can rule out any bike if the weight and price are out of all
proportion (as is the Bigha) to what else is available on
the market. The fact that you can't grasp this speaks
volumes about how your brain works.

I don't buy food,
> cars, houses, nor bicycles on just those two criteria,
> and I find it interesting and peculiar to meet two
> "geniuses" who do.

There are other criteria that apply to all the above items
that determine whether they are good buys or not. It is just
that the criteria are different. The two most important
criteria when it comes to a bike are price and weight. These
are not the most important criteria when it comes to a car.
But price is always critical in any event no matter what the
product. [...]

> > The adjective "and" as it applies to price and weight is
> > critical to
this
> > whole discussion. ...

> Normally, I would not point this out, but I hate to see
> a "genius" make such a mistake without offering
> assistance. 'And' is not an
adjective.

Right! A conjunction. But it is normal for a genius like me
to trip over peccadilloes as my mind is ever on the big
thought. But your mind is ever on the little thought and so
it is normal for you to pick up on trivialities.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> ... There are other criteria that apply to all the above
> items that determine whether they are good buys or not. It
> is just that the criteria are different. The two most
> important criteria when it comes to a bike are price and
> weight....

I could design a recumbent bicycle using thin-wall, small
diameter carbon steel tubing. It would be light and
inexpensive. It would also exhibit excessive frame flexure
(leading to poor handling and performance) and would fail
from fatigue in short order. But by E.D.'s criteria, it
would be a good value.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... [...]
>
>>>If you haven't ruled it out on the basis of price and
>>>weight then you
>
> have
>
>>>given it a second thought. Unlike Lorenzo and me, who are
>>>both geniuses,
>
> we
>
>>>have ruled it out on the basis of price and weight. But
>>>not everyone can
>
> be
>
>>>smart like us. Some folks are dumb like you. Apparently
>>>you are waiting

>>>ride it so you can decide. Lorenzo and I do not have to
>>>ride it in order

>>>KNOW that it is a very bad buy.
>>>

>> Did you read what you responded to? Did you read where
>> I said that I was NOT giving it "second thoughts"?
>> Didn't that tell you that I was not considering buying
>> the bike? But no, I did not decide not to buy it, just
>> "on the basis of price and weight" - I do not believe
>> that a valid buying decision is based just on those two
>> criteria.
>

> But I do - at least negatively when it comes to a bike!
> You can rule out any bike if the weight and price are out
> of all proportion (as is the Bigha) to what else is
> available on the market. The fact that you can't grasp
> this speaks volumes about how your brain works.

And I suppose you don't see a comparison to "what else is
available on the market" as another criteria, do you? But
tell us, since it sounds like you've done a study on
this, what other bikes are out there on the market, that
are of the same category as the BiGHA, how much they
cost, and how much they weigh. But seriously - since I
know that you have done no such thing, and will not
provide any information like this - I am *NOT* saying
that price and weight are not to be considered, nor am I
saying that they aren't important criteria. And yes, if
the price is too high - for the individual - then that
will rule out whatever is being considered. Like, I doubt
if I would every pay what is asked for a Windcheetah
Hypersport trike, no matter how much - or little - it
weighs. So yes, price does pay an imporant part in the
purchase of a bike, and is possibly the most important
criteria - for most people. But these things are not
absolutes; they do not apply to everyone. If someone is
really performance-oriented, price shrinks in importance
and weight increases as a consideration. It's not that
these people are wrong, just that they view things of
importance differently. I am not so arrogant as some, who
feel that if others disagree, they there's something
wrong with them, something about their "brain works".
Arrogance and ignorance are a dangerous combination.
Don't you agree?
> I don't buy food,
>
>>cars, houses, nor bicycles on just those two criteria,
>>and I find it interesting and peculiar to meet two
>>"geniuses" who do.
>

> There are other criteria that apply to all the above items
> that determine whether they are good buys or not. It is
> just that the criteria are different. The two most
> important criteria when it comes to a bike are price and
> weight. These are not the most important criteria when it
> comes to a car. But price is always critical in any event
> no matter what the product. [...]
>

>>>The adjective "and" as it applies to price and weight is
>>>critical to
>
> this
>
>>>whole discussion. ...
>

>> Normally, I would not point this out, but I hate to see
>> a "genius" make such a mistake without offering
>> assistance. 'And' is not an
>
> adjective.
>
> Right! A conjunction. But it is normal for a genius like
> me to trip over peccadilloes as my mind is ever on the big
> thought. But your mind is ever on the little thought and
> so it is normal for you to pick up on trivialities.

You're excused your ignorance of grammar and terms
related to the language. Call it a peccadilloe or
whatever you want Since we see that you judge bikes on
just two criteria - except when you admit otherwise, such
as the comfort of the seat - and you say that personal
experience is overrated and unnecessary - except when you
accidentally bring up that seat comfort again - we'll
forget that you don't know the difference between an
adjective and a conjunction. We cut geniuses a lot of
slack around here. So, did you join MENSA? Are you still
a member? Attended any RGs or AGs lately?

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... [...]
> You're excused your ignorance of grammar and terms
> related to the language. Call it a peccadilloe or
> whatever you want Since we see that you judge bikes on
> just two criteria - except when you admit otherwise,
> such as the comfort of the seat - and you say that
> personal experience is overrated and unnecessary -
> except when you accidentally bring up that seat comfort
> again - we'll forget that you don't know the difference
> between an adjective and a conjunction. We cut geniuses
> a lot of slack around here.

You constantly ignore qualifiers like MOST all the time and
so you are always at sea drifting with the current. Did I
also not say that weight and price are not the ONLY
considerations? But that they are the MOST important
considerations. I am beginning to think we have a language
problem here. Speekee English?

> So, did you join MENSA? Are you still a member?
> Attended any RGs or AGs lately?

MENSA is for those who are not sure of their intelligence.
Geniuses like me wouldn't be caught dead belonging to an
organization like that. Surely you jest? And no, I am not
going to look up RG or AG. Either write things out or
forget about it.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... [...]
>
>> You're excused your ignorance of grammar and terms
>> related to the language. Call it a peccadilloe or
>> whatever you want Since we see that you judge bikes on
>> just two criteria - except when you admit otherwise,
>> such as the comfort of the seat - and you say that
>> personal experience is overrated and unnecessary -
>> except when you accidentally bring up that seat comfort
>> again - we'll forget that you don't know the difference
>> between an adjective and a conjunction. We cut geniuses
>> a lot of slack around here.
>

> You constantly ignore qualifiers like MOST all the time
> and so you are always at sea drifting with the current.
> Did I also not say that weight and price are not the ONLY
> considerations? But that they are the MOST important
> considerations. I am beginning to think we have a language
> problem here. Speekee English?

Nope, I don't ignore qualifiers - I use them myself. The
facts are this: the criteria used in picking *anything*,
including bikes, trikes, dogs, cats, etc., are not
absolutes. They vary from person to person. Weight and
price may be the most important considerations FOR YOU,
and it is likely that they rank very highly for MOST
people - but not all. And if you continue to claim that
they are the MOST important criteria when picking a bike
for ALL people, then I doubt if it's a language problem.
You might have something wrong with your conjunctions.

>> So, did you join MENSA? Are you still a member?
>> Attended any RGs or AGs lately?
>

> MENSA is for those who are not sure of their intelligence.
> Geniuses like me wouldn't be caught dead belonging to an
> organization like that. Surely you jest? And no, I am not
> going to look up RG or AG. Either write things out or
> forget about it.

Actually, MENSA is not for people who are not sure of
their intelligence. In fact, you have to provide
documented proof of your IQ level before you're allowed
to join. But I do not doubt that "geniuses" like you
would't be a member. You probably think MENSA weighs and
costs too much. Right?
--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > ... There are other criteria that apply to all the above
> > items that
determine
> > whether they are good buys or not. It is just that the
> > criteria are different. The two most important criteria
> > when it comes to a bike are
price
> > and weight....
>
> I could design a recumbent bicycle using thin-wall, small
> diameter carbon steel tubing. It would be light and
> inexpensive. It would also exhibit excessive frame flexure
> (leading to poor handling and performance) and would fail
> from fatigue in short order. But by E.D.'s criteria, it
> would be a good value.

I said the two MOST important criteria, not the ONLY
criteria.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> >> So, did you join MENSA? Are you still a member?
> >> Attended any RGs or AGs lately?
> >

> > MENSA is for those who are not sure of their
> > intelligence. Geniuses like
me
> > wouldn't be caught dead belonging to an organization
> > like that. Surely
you
> > jest? And no, I am not going to look up RG or AG. Either
> > write things
out or
> > forget about it.
> >

> Actually, MENSA is not for people who are not sure of
> their intelligence. In fact, you have to provide
> documented proof of your IQ level before you're allowed
> to join. But I do not doubt that "geniuses" like you
> would't be a member.

IQ has been totally discredited. Haven't you heard from the
liberals and those in favor of diversity that it is just
nothing but cultural and racial discrimination?

> You probably think MENSA weighs and costs too much.
> Right?

No, I don't think anything about MENSA at all and I know
next to nothing about them. All I know and need to know is
that I am a genius. You need to learn to live with this
ultimate fact of life about me.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>

>>>MENSA is for those who are not sure of their
>>>intelligence. Geniuses like
>
> me
>
>>>wouldn't be caught dead belonging to an organization like
>>>that. Surely
>
> you
>
>>>jest? And no, I am not going to look up RG or AG. Either
>>>write things
>
> out or
>
>>>forget about it.
>>>

>> Actually, MENSA is not for people who are not sure of
>> their intelligence. In fact, you have to provide
>> documented proof of your IQ level before you're allowed
>> to join. But I do not doubt that "geniuses" like you
>> would't be a member.
>

> IQ has been totally discredited. Haven't you heard from
> the liberals and those in favor of diversity that it is
> just nothing but cultural and racial discrimination?
>

>> You probably think MENSA weighs and costs too much.
>> Right?
>

> No, I don't think anything about MENSA at all and I know
> next to nothing about them. All I know and need to know is
> that I am a genius. You need to learn to live with this
> ultimate fact of life about me.

Wait a minute - didn't you say that "MENSA is for those
who are not sure of their intelligence"? And now you say
that you "know next to nothing about them"? And with that
glorious example of double-speak still hanging in the
air, you claim that you "know" that you are a "genius"?
Based on what? Oh, wait a minute, I get it - it's that
"sui generis" thing again, the "big picture", or whatever
explanation you're using to hide the fact that your
latest claim, as usual, is based on ignorance and not
facts. Seriously, if you think you qualify for Mensa, you
might want to look into it. Lots of activities, lots of
different people to talk to and argue with - and some of
the most interesting women I have ever met have been
Mensans. Of course, once you do join Mensa, you run the
risk of being snubbed by the members of Intertel, not to
mention the Triple Nine crowd.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Wait a minute - didn't you say that "MENSA is for those
> who are not sure of their intelligence"? And now you
> say that you "know next to nothing about them"? And
> with that glorious example of double-speak still
> hanging in the air, you claim that you "know" that you
> are a "genius"? Based on what? Oh, wait a minute, I get
> it - it's that "sui generis" thing again, the "big
> picture", or whatever explanation you're using to hide
> the fact that your latest claim, as usual, is based on
> ignorance and not facts. Seriously, if you think you
> qualify for Mensa, you might want to look into it. Lots
> of activities, lots of different people to talk to and
> argue with - and some of the most interesting women I
> have ever met have been Mensans. Of course, once you do
> join Mensa, you run the risk of being snubbed by the
> members of Intertel, not to mention the Triple Nine
> crowd.
>
> --
> Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
> http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Ed Dolan thinks he's a genius

Fabio thinks he's a European championship racer

Figure it out Larry :)

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > No, I don't think anything about MENSA at all and I know
> > next to nothing about them. All I know and need to know
> > is that I am a genius. You need
> > learn to live with this ultimate fact of life about me.
> >

> Wait a minute - didn't you say that "MENSA is for those
> who are not sure of their intelligence"? And now you
> say that you "know next to nothing about them"? And
> with that glorious example of double-speak still
> hanging in the air, you claim that you "know" that you
> are a "genius"? Based on what?

No Varney, I have HEARD of them, but I know next to nothing
about them. Nor do I want to know anything about them.
Therein lies my genius. I know what is worth while thinking
about, and you do not have a clue. Varney = little thoughts.
Dolan = big thoughts. Got it?

> Oh, wait a minute, I get it - it's that "sui generis"
> thing again, the "big picture", or whatever explanation
> you're using to hide the fact that your latest claim,
> as usual, is based on ignorance and not facts.
> Seriously, if you think you qualify for Mensa, you
> might want to look into it. Lots of activities, lots of
> different people to talk to and argue with - and some
> of the most interesting women I have ever met have been
> Mensans. Of course, once you do join Mensa, you run the
> risk of being snubbed by the members of Intertel, not
> to mention the Triple Nine crowd.

Nope, I have no interest in Mensa. I never did and I never
will. Accounting for what interests people is a most
fascinating study. For instance, there appears to be a great
many on this group who are interested in going fast on their
recumbents. Such a notion never even occurred to me. I got a
recumbent strictly for comfort. Do you think us comfort
recumbent cyclists should have our own newsgroup, I wonder?
It would be such a pleasure never to have to read ever again
these idiotic posts about how fast these old guys are who
are teetering on the brink of the grave.

I believe I have criticized you in the past for editing too
severely. Now you are not editing enough. Try to get it
right will you? The best advice I can give you is to follow
my example as I am a world class expert editor. But Hells
Bells! I am just great at anything under the sun that I put
my mind to.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:AOqEc.2159$Oq2.1740@attbi_s52... [...]
> Ed Dolan thinks he's a genius ...

Genius is as genius does. I am only comparing myself to
idiots like you Mark. But you and yours constitute the
majority on this newsgroup. But in any event, it is better
to be a genius than an ostrich . This kill filer Mark Leuck
would not even have a notion of what I am saying if Varney
were not quoting me in full. How smart is that?

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>>No, I don't think anything about MENSA at all and I know
>>>next to nothing about them. All I know and need to know
>>>is that I am a genius. You need

>>>learn to live with this ultimate fact of life about me.
>>>

>> Wait a minute - didn't you say that "MENSA is for those
>> who are not sure of their intelligence"? And now you
>> say that you "know next to nothing about them"? And
>> with that glorious example of double-speak still
>> hanging in the air, you claim that you "know" that you
>> are a "genius"? Based on what?
>

> No Varney, I have HEARD of them, but I know next to
> nothing about them. Nor do I want to know anything about
> them. Therein lies my genius. I know what is worth while
> thinking about, and you do not have a clue. Varney =
> little thoughts. Dolan = big thoughts. Got it?

I've met people like you before, and I've always been
mystified by not only the acceptance of ignorance,
but the seeming enjoyment of it. You know next to
nothing about Mensa, and you don't want to know
anything about it. And you refer to that as "genius"?
More aptly, it reminds me of the joke about what's
the difference between ignorance and apathy: I don't
know and I don't care.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Edward Dolan wrote:
> > > "Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > I keep reminding myself that you speak the way you
> > do, because of your "genius" of ignorance. The fact
> > is, Dolan, I do make discriminations about what is
> > important and what is not. What I don't do, though,
> > is make those discriminations out of ignorance, nor
> > do I take those same ignorant conclusions and act as
> > if they're applicable to everyone.
>
> Me thinks thou dost protest too much!
>
> Teh fact is you were born ignorna t and yo wil remian
> ignorat all your
life
> becaweu yo have a low IQ. Folks with low IQs lie you are
> only caplable of
so
> much "thought".

The above was sent by mistake of course. I can spell but I
can't type worth a darn. And I most especially can't type
worth a darn what I am as mad as a hornet - which is usually
the case when I am responding to Varney. I spend more time
correcting all my typos than I do composing my message. The
biggest mistake of my life was not taking some typing
classes when I had the opportunity in high school.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota