Has anyone tried the Bigha?

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:52:39 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I believe he has also lost advertising revenue in that some
>manufacturers (fairly major) will not advertise in his
>magazine or even send him information for listing. I would
>never consider buying any recumbent from such a
>manufacturer.

Does he name names of these manufacturers who have
retaliated for unfavorable reviews so that we can join you
in never consider buying from them?

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>"Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in
>>message news:[email protected]
>>earthlink.net...

> be

> is

>>>Not completely meaningless but you have to take into
>>>account that they can not be too critical or make a no
>>>buy recommendation.
>>
>>Sure they can, first off its nearly impossible to find a
>>BAD recumbent so they'd never say "don't buy this bike"
>>anyway. Bicycles aren't that
>
> complex
>
>>of a device and any critical remarks will always be based
>>on the same
>
> things
>
>>such as comfort, tires and mechanical things like shifters
>>or brakes,
>
> I've
>
>>yet to see a review where they weren't critical of any
>>of these
>>
>>Can you name one reviewer that isn't too critical and
>>won't make a no buy recommendation?
>

> Actually, Mark, Bob Bryant of RCN has gotten into
> considerable trouble over the years because he has given
> some slightly bad reviews to various recumbent
> manufacturers. Needless to say, those of us who subscribe
> to RCN have enormous respect for him because of this. I
> believe he has also lost advertising revenue in that some
> manufacturers (fairly major) will not advertise in his
> magazine or even send him information for listing. I would
> never consider buying any recumbent from such a
> manufacturer. Mr. Bryant has enormous credibility with his
> readership because of the stands he has taken over the
> years. He is for the consumer, not the manufacturer. How
> unlike Varney he is! Mr. Bryant will tell you what is good
> value and why. That is why his publication is worth every
> penny of the subscription price.

********, Dolan! Get you head out into the air and read
what I'm about to write: I will tell you what I think
about a bike, ONCE I'VE RIDDEN IT! Unliked certain
cretins, I do not come to a determination of the value
of a bike, TO ME, until I've done that! Yes, I realize
that you feel that actually experiencing something is
not worth the effort, that a better way of judging a
bike is by not riding it, but merely being told what the
price and weight are. I don't happen to agree with that.
And, I would be willing to bet that Bob Bryant feels the
same way. I do not believe he ever wrote a review or a
recommendation of a bike he had never ridden. Anyone who
tells you what a "good value" something is, based solely
on ignorance and prejudice, is someone to avoid. But
they are funny to listen to, so keep up the good work,
Dolan and Love.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY
http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Edward Dolan wrote:

> I wonder what it might be like to live in a world where
> $3000. is chump change! Surely someone is exaggerating
> here slightly?...

Try doing a bike ride in an affluent suburb sometime (e.g.,
the North Shore Century from Evanston IL to Kenosha, WI).
There you will ride through neighborhoods where the price is
in excess of $1 Million US for one of the smaller houses and
lots. To the people that live there, $3000 is one or two
days worth of their income.

Even on a more common scale, $3000 is not that much. I
happened to be at a local high school in one of the more
upscale areas. There were less than 10 cars in the student
parking lot worth LESS than mine, and many of the students
drove vehicles worth more than $20,000. If one can waste
that much money on getting a child to school, then $3000 for
a bicycle is not that extreme.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Larry Varney wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>>> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]
>>> net...

>> be

>> is

>>> Sure they can, first off its nearly impossible to find a
>>> BAD recumbent so they'd never say "don't buy this bike"
>>> anyway. Bicycles aren't that
>>

>> complex
>>
>>> of a device and any critical remarks will always be
>>> based on the same
>>

>> things
>>
>>> such as comfort, tires and mechanical things like
>>> shifters or brakes,
>>

>> I've
>>
>>> yet to see a review where they weren't critical of any
>>> of these
>>>
>>> Can you name one reviewer that isn't too critical and
>>> won't make a no buy recommendation?
>>

>> Actually, Mark, Bob Bryant of RCN has gotten into
>> considerable trouble over the years because he has given
>> some slightly bad reviews to various recumbent
>> manufacturers. Needless to say, those of us who subscribe
>> to RCN have enormous respect for him because of this. I
>> believe he has also lost advertising revenue in that some
>> manufacturers (fairly major) will not advertise in his
>> magazine or even send him information for listing. I
>> would never consider buying any recumbent from such a
>> manufacturer. Mr. Bryant has enormous credibility with
>> his readership because of the stands he has taken over
>> the years. He is for the consumer, not the manufacturer.
>> How unlike Varney he is! Mr. Bryant will tell you what is
>> good value and why. That is why his publication is worth
>> every penny of the subscription price.
>>

> ********, Dolan! Get you head out into the air and read
> what I'm about to write: I will tell you what I think
> about a bike, ONCE I'VE RIDDEN IT! Unliked certain
> cretins, I do not come to a determination of the value
> of a bike, TO ME, until I've done that! Yes, I realize
> that you feel that actually experiencing something is
> not worth the effort, that a better way of judging a
> bike is by not riding it, but merely being told what the
> price and weight are. I don't happen to agree with that.
> And, I would be willing to bet that Bob Bryant feels the
> same way. I do not believe he ever wrote a review or a
> recommendation of a bike he had never ridden. Anyone who
> tells you what a "good value" something is, based solely
> on ignorance and prejudice, is someone to avoid. But
> they are funny to listen to, so keep up the good work,
> Dolan and Love.

Since Bigha won't or can't market through bicycle dealers,
because dealers won't or can't trust these people after
their BikeE fiasco, there doesn't seem to be much
opportunity to test ride a Bigha. For most of us, all we
will know about the Bigha is what we see on their website.
50 lbs and $3000.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"There was a time when a fool and his money were soon
parted, but now it happens to everybody." Adlai E. Stevenson

Edward Dolan wrote:

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> et... [...]
>
>>"The poor are like foxes: they need intelligence in order
>>to survive. The rich, however, have power; they don't need
>>good sense." Sheri S. Tepper, Singer from the Sea
>

> Lorenzo, you have got the greatest signatures of anyone on
> this newsgroup. I agree with each and every one of them.
> Where did you ever dig up these jewels of wisdom? I hope
> you don't mind, but I am saving them to My Documents (via
> Notepad) and I may use them myself in the future. Such
> pearls of wisdom should be in all our vocabularies.

Not my words, do with them as you will. I find them where I
find them, the Tepper quote from reading her novel. She was
referring to hereditary aristocracy but it applies to anyone
with more money then sense.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"A quotation in a speech, article or book is like a rifle in
the hands of an infantryman. It speaks with authority."
Brendan Francis

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]...
>
>>Mark Leuck wrote:
>>

>>>for a carbon fiber Trek or Cannondale. $3000 is chump
>>>change at my area
>
> bike
>
>>>store
>>
>>Wow, if $3000 is chump change at your area bike store, I
>>want to come and catch what people don't bother to pick up
>>that falls out of their pockets.
>

> The most expensive bike they carried was $8,000, most
> obviously weren't that high but once you get to the carbon
> fiber models the price starts to skyrocket

You mean those nice LIGHT high-performance carbon fiber
bikes? The very antithesis of the Bigha.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow
some." Benjamin Franklin

Mark Leuck wrote:
> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> k.net...
>
>>>I have never paid more than a few bucks for a wrist watch
>>>either. But
>
> that
>
>>>is because I knew I was buying a time piece and not
>>>jewelry.
>>>

>>There you have the real reason many of these people can't
>>understand that the Bigha is so overpriced. $3000 just
>>isn't much money to them so other criteria are more
>>important. Like what color it is. The perfect Bigha
>>customer.
>

> So whats the problem then? BigHa isn't marketing to the
> recumbent crowd, my guess is because the recumbent crowd
> is way too small to market to anyway witnessing the demise
> of several manufacturers in the last few years who
> DID.

The recumbent crowd is way too informed to buy Bighas. The
size of the market isn't that relevant to the demise of
companies like BikeE and Vision. BikeE was the biggest
seller and Vision one of the bigger ones. They collapsed
because of fiscal mismanagement and incompetence. It was
when BikeE tried to grow too fast and expand beyond the
niche market that they got overextended. Quality control
shortcuts to increase product turnout resulted in safety
recalls and bad press. Greed done them in. Much smaller
companies who know how to properly run a business and know
their customer base are doing fine.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer
cell." Edward Abbey

Larry Varney wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>

>> Yes I do disagree! The value is not up to the individual.
>> What do individuals (the average slob consumer) know
>> about anything anyway except what reviewers tell them.
>

> Absolute ****. The value is *always* up to the individual.
> Only the truly brain-dead or submissive sheep would ever
> believe or have it any other way. Think for yourself!

So when individuals express their opinion of the poor value
of the Bigha, why do you get so defensive?

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Larry Varney wrote:
> Lorenzo L. Love wrote:
>
>> I'll try again: Is the Bigha a good value for YOU? If you
>> don't know, why are you so worried about people who do
>> have opinions?
>>
>> Lorenzo L. Love
>

> And I'll try again: I'll let you know once I've ridden
> it. And other people's opinions do not have any
> relationship at all to my not having ridden a BiGHA,
> nor with my not having an idea as to the value of it,
> for me.

So why are you so invested in running down other people
opinion of it's poor value? Thirty some posts of
telling people their opinions are useless. Why so
defensive of Bigha?

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Freedom rings where opinions clash." Adlai E. Stevenson

Tom Sherman wrote:

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> I wonder what it might be like to live in a world where
>> $3000. is chump change! Surely someone is exaggerating
>> here slightly?...
>

> Try doing a bike ride in an affluent suburb sometime
> (e.g., the North Shore Century from Evanston IL to
> Kenosha, WI). There you will ride through neighborhoods
> where the price is in excess of $1 Million US for one of
> the smaller houses and lots. To the people that live
> there, $3000 is one or two days worth of their income.
>
> Even on a more common scale, $3000 is not that much. I
> happened to be at a local high school in one of the more
> upscale areas. There were less than 10 cars in the student
> parking lot worth LESS than mine, and many of the students
> drove vehicles worth more than $20,000. If one can waste
> that much money on getting a child to school, then $3000
> for a bicycle is not that extreme.

Yes, status symbols are very important to some people. The
more it costs, the more status it has. The Bigha may have
status but that is not synonymous with value.

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"There was a time when a fool and his money were soon
parted, but now it happens to everybody." Adlai E. Stevenson

It takes one to know one! You are still in denial that BiGHa
is selling bikes and to informed customers. If these
customers were "imbeciles, morons or fools" they wouldn't be
in a position in life where they could afford to buy a $3000
bicycle. Duhhh! Trust me that most folks would have looked
and ridden other bikes before dropping $3K on an online
purchase. You seem to underestimate other people but
yourself. How laughable!!!

What would you say about Schwinn and Columbia when they
reissued "copies" of some of their classic cruisers for
$3,500 that weigh more than 60 lbs. and have far less
utility and performance than a BiGHa? Would those people
that bought them be classified as "imbeciles, morons or
fools"? Or are they true enthusiasts who appreciate the
finer things in life?

You need to look inside of yourself why you're so obsessed
with the BiGHa and it's not price or weight! Perhaps the
wrong decisions were made and you attack anything that has
to do with success.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

EW

In article <[email protected]>, Edward Dolan
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Lorenzo L. Love" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> k.net...
> > Slugger wrote:
> > > Any comments about it?
> >
> > Have we convinced you to buy one yet?
>
> I suspect Slugger is long gone from here by now. He must
> think we are all crazy as loons. Well, ARBR is not for the
> faint of heart. What with Varney, Lueck, yourself and me I
> think we have most likely driven everyone else away. But I
> do note that gentle Melinda is still with us.
>
> We should resolve to do this all over again every 6 months
> or so just to show the rest of the world what ARBR is made
> of. I wonder if Bigha could haul us into court over our
> various comments about their bike. Varney has scrambled my
> brains so I am going to lie down and see if this terrific
> headache he has given me will ever go away.

Welp' i'm not gone yet :cD

LL, the bigha's price scares me off for sure. If i had some
more cash i would certainly consider it, and as i said to
skip when the stocks come in, i'm buying my bike. Having
said that it seems these Bigha's seem quite scarce as none
have tried one. If i can't try it i won't buy it. Ed, i have
been to rougher places than this that didn't scare
me...besides no one was being argumentitive with me, it was
mostly you guys going back and forth ! :cD I've got
nothing to prove cos i'm a noob. So i'd say about 80% of
the posts were regarding objectivity and the rest was
just more banter with a few insightful posts. No shortage
of criticality here. What i gather however is "different
strokes for different folks" or spokes as the case may
be. Which was what i had thought..and the point of my
post was to get some opinions.

Up to now i have tried 4 bikes. The first was a semi bent,
the Mikado Quetzal. Had me interested for sure. I went home
and started a few searches to see what other bikes might
appeal to me.

I then went to a bike store in town that specializes in
recumbents. I then road the Burley Koosah..which i was a bit
nervous on as this was my first real bent ride.

After that i tried the Ez-Sport. This is the Harley of
recumbents for sure. That bike is bad ass for sure.

Then i went to another shop in town that has used bikes and
saw a EZ-Rider for $629 CAD

That bike was really fun to ride and easy to manuever, or i
was getting the hang of it.

So i might have to make another trip to my local recumbent
store and try them all again. But i have to say i am leaning
towards the Burley. Thanks for all your thoughts. Slugger

Slugger wrote:

> ... I then went to a bike store in town that specializes
> in recumbents. I then road the Burley Koosah....

Has anyone else noticed that the Burley Koosah/Jett Creek
looks like a RANS Stratus with the triangulating frame
tubes removed?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Edward Wong wrote:

> It takes one to know one! You are still in denial that
> BiGHa is selling bikes and to informed customers. If these
> customers were "imbeciles, morons or fools" they wouldn't
> be in a position in life where they could afford to buy a
> $3000 bicycle. Duhhh! Trust me that most folks would have
> looked and ridden other bikes before dropping $3K on an
> online purchase. You seem to underestimate other people
> but yourself. How laughable!!!
>
> What would you say about Schwinn and Columbia when they
> reissued "copies" of some of their classic cruisers for
> $3,500 that weigh more than 60 lbs. and have far less
> utility and performance than a BiGHa? Would those people
> that bought them be classified as "imbeciles, morons or
> fools"? Or are they true enthusiasts who appreciate the
> finer things in life?
>
> You need to look inside of yourself why you're so obsessed
> with the BiGHa and it's not price or weight! Perhaps the
> wrong decisions were made and you attack anything that has
> to do with success.
>
> Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
>
> EW

Have you bought a Bigha? Not quite that much of an imbecile,
moron or fool are you?

Lorenzo L. Love http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Let us be thankful for the fools; but for them the rest of
us could not succeed.” Mark Twain

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > But you do not know how to weigh anything. You think
> > perhaps that the quality of the components is the equal
> > of the overall weight of the bike
or
> > of the price. That is why I regard you as an idiot.
> > Also, criteria never depend solely on the individual.
> > There are always universal criteria and
if
> > the individual does not recognize those universal
> > criteria, well then
the
> > individual is an idiot - which you prove every time
> > you post.
> >

> Wrong again, Dolan. I do know how to weigh the
> different criteria. I just don't take the arrogant
> stance that *my* subjective weighing is the only, the
> correct, the best for everyone. Have I said anything
> remotely like the quality of the components being the
> equal of the overall weight or the price? Nope, never
> did - and yet, for *something I never said or wrote*,
> you think I'm an idiot. What does that make you, Dolan,
> for condeming me for something I never said? And as for
> the "universal criteria" - Dolan, what the hell are you
> talking about? NO ONE has said there aren't criteria
> that would apply to just about everything - remember,
> I'm the one who keeps pointing out to you and your
> friend, that there are more than two to consider - it's
> the relative importance of those criteria that matter -
> to the individual.

It is the job of the professional reviewer who has expert
knowledge to weigh and give due consideration to the
various aspects of the product he is reviewing. All this
business (with respect to value) about everything being
subjective and up to the individual is nothing but a lot of
****. It is how the reviewer gets out of his
responsibilites.You do this because you are basically a
coward and do not want to stand by anything you say - not
that you ever say much in any event.

I only mentioned the components factor as compared to the
weight factor as an instance of what a reviewer might weigh
when it comes to evauluating the value of a bike. I am not
saying that you do that, but that it does tie into your
statements about how there are so many other things to
consider besides weight and price, like those other things
are the equal of weight and price. They aren't , and we both
know that.

> >> Maybe if you thought about what I've said, and tried
> >> to see if you agreed with me or not, that might help.
> >> So let's hear it: do you agree, or disagree, that
> >> there are many criteria involved in buying things,
> >> and that different people weigh those criteria
> >> differently? Yes or no, Dolan. Or do you need me to
> >> make it even simpler?
> >

> > I disagree with what you have said above. You have made
> > it way too subjective. There are always objective
> > criteria which have nothing to do with what any
> > individuals might think because individuals can think
wrongly
> > due to ignorance or just plain lack of knowledge. I
> > believe that is what Lorenzo is saying is that Bigha
> > will not market to recumbent shops and
> > sophisticated recumbent buyers. Instead they are
> > catering to
ignoramuses -
> > and you are supporting this fiasco by defending Bigha
> > the way you do.
But
> > you are not fooling me or anyone else here who knows
> > anything about recumbents. We know that a recumbent is
> > mainly a frame and wheels and
that
> > weight and price are important and everything else is
> > Mickey Mouse no
matter
> > what some "individuals" might think is important.
> >
> Nonsense. There are no "objective" criteria - and I'll
> take just one to illustrate it. How about price? Just
> what specific dollar figure is too high? If it were
> objective, there would be just one number, right? But
> there isn't - it's all relative.

I believe there is a RANGE of prices which are objective
with respect to any product, and if the price falls outside
that range, then it needs special attention to see what
might justify the price. Bigha clearly falls outside the
range of prices for a recumbent and so it requires special
attention to see what might justify that price. The fact
that the bike is heavier than most others presents a real
conundrum. You have not confronted this conundrum. Why is
that? All this business about other things being important
besides weight and price is a total cop out. Lorenzo has got
your number and until you answer his question I will not
regard you as a reviewer worth reading.

[...]

> > But are you not a reviewer for Bike Rider Online? It is
> > your duty to
advise
> > the less knowledgeable if a bike is a good buy or not.
> > If you do not
doing
> > this very elementary thing, then you are failing in your
> > duty as a
reviewer.
> > If I were Ball, I would fire you for dereliction
> > of duty.
> >
> My duty? To advise people about whether or not a bike
> is a good buy, *when I have already explained that I
> haven't ridden it*? Only fools, morons, idiots and the
> ignorant do that, Dolan - you should know that. And no,
> I am not a reviewer for Bike Rider Online. But if I
> were, and if I had reviewed the BiGHA, I would give my
> opinions as to how it rode, what it weighed, all of the
> things that I noticed about it. But "derelliction of
> duty" for not giving my evaluation of a bike I've never
> ridden - keep it up, Dolan, we all need a good laugh,
> even at the expense of the truly stupid.

I thought you were a reviewer for Bike Rider Online and that
you had reviewed the Bigha and had more or less recommended
it with some reservations. Apparently I am mistaken about
that. But then I never read Bike Rider Online (except for
your Florida safari), so I stand corrected.

> >> You and Love should be able to figure it all by now,
> >> Dolan. It's not a difficult conclusion to come to.
> >> But, just in case you really do need for me to tell
> >> you what to think and what to conclude, here it is:
> >> The value of anything, including the BiGHA, is
> >> determined by each individual. Each individual should
> >> be able to come to a decision as to whether or not
> >> it's worth the asking price. This goes for bikes,
> >> trikes, horses, cars, hamburgers, you name it.

Most individuals do not know squat about the values of the
stuff they buy. They depend on others for information that
will guide them in their purchases. That is why the consumer
organizations are as big and as important as they are. Most
specialist publications are just full of reviews of
products. The reason for this is that the consumers don't
know squat about how to spend their money wisely.

> > No, we have fundamental disagreement here. There are
> > always universal criteria for determining the value for
> > price for any product. I spent
many
> > hours as a youth reading Consumer's Reports and
> > Consumer's Digest
reviews of
> > various products. It is not up to the individual to
> > decide these things.
It
> > is up to honest reviewers who are expert to give the
> > rest of us a clue
as
> > to what is good value and what is not good value.What
> > does the average consumer know about anything when you
> > get right down to it?
> >

> Again, nonsense. It is always up to the individual,
> because it is the individual who pays the money and
> uses the product. You may be more than willing to put
> your brain in neutral and let other people do your
> thinking for you, but the rest of us are not.

See my comment immediately preceding the above two
paragraphs.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>

> > Yes I do disagree! The value is not up to the
> > individual. What do individuals (the average slob
> > consumer) know about anything anyway
except
> > what reviewers tell them.
>
> Absolute ****. The value is *always* up to the individual.
> Only the truly brain-dead or submissive sheep would ever
> believe or have it any other way. Think for yourself!

Ah, if only that were true. But we can't all be spending our
time investigating the value of everything we purchase. I do
know one poor lost soul who does this sort of thing though,
and he is a mess. He cannot even go to buy a pot to **** in
without trying to determine if it is best pot in the world
to **** in.

I will only spend a very limited amount of time
contemplating various purchases as I have other better
things to do with my mind. And so I do read reviews and
find out what others who are paid to think about things
that I don't really want to think about have to say about
the product.

This think for yourself is a lot of ****. You can't do it
with respect to everything under the sun. You can only do it
with respect to a very few things. I like to concentrate on
the important things in life like politics, not relatively
unimportant things like recumbent bikes. But to each his own
I always say. You think about what you want to think about,
and I will think about what I want to think about.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > I do not think that is true at all. I can judge of
> > something without
ever
> > having any experience of it provided I know a few key
> > things about it.
With
> > respect to recumbents, things like weight and price for
> > instance. I do
this
> > with most things in my life. Experience of a thing is
> > vastly overrated.
> > can simply gain knowledge of something by pure
> > speculation provided I
have a
> > few key facts to work with. With respect to recumbents,
> > I can just look
at
> > them now and I can tell you whether I am going to like
> > them or not. And
> > can also tell whether they are good value or not based
> > on weight and
price.
> > None of this is rocket science except to Varney.
> >
> > "Price what the market will bear" is fine and dandy but
> > I am predicting along with Lorenzo that the market is
> > not going to be there for the
Bigha.
> > Why? Because it is too heavy and it is too pricey. It
> > could possibly be
too
> > heavy and still sell if it were priced at around $1000.
> > to $1500., but
at
> > $3000. it is doomed. Thus spake Zarathustra!
> >

> OK, let's see a show of hands. How many people are
> going to trust the pronouncements of Ed Dolan, who
> comes to his decisions based not on actual experiences,
> but from "speculation"? And how many of you agree with
> him that his weighing of the criteria is the only valid
> one, that if there is any disagreement, then
> automatically everyone but Dolan is wrong?

For thousands of years "speculation" was the essence of
all high knowledge. Aristotle thought women had less teeth
in their mouth based on reasoning. It never occurred to
him to look into a woman's mouth and count her teeth. So
speculation is not 100% certain, yet it was the main
thinking that prevailed for most of man's existence on
this earth.

I am a man of the ages and so I do like to speculate. I
think experience is vastly overrated. But in any event,
experience has to be informed by theoretical speculation.
Without that, you do not even have any idea what your
experience is, let alone how it relates to anything.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Larry Varney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]
> > Actually, Mark, Bob Bryant of RCN has gotten into
> > considerable trouble
over
> > the years because he has given some slightly bad reviews
> > to various recumbent manufacturers. Needless to say,
> > those of us who subscribe to
RCN
> > have enormous respect for him because of this. I believe
> > he has also
lost
> > advertising revenue in that some manufacturers (fairly
> > major) will not advertise in his magazine or even send
> > him information for listing. I
would
> > never consider buying any recumbent from such a
> > manufacturer. Mr. Bryant
has
> > enormous credibility with his readership because of the
> > stands he has
taken
> > over the years. He is for the consumer, not the
> > manufacturer. How unlike Varney he is! Mr. Bryant will
> > tell you what is good value and why. That
is
> > why his publication is worth every penny of the
> > subscription price.
> >

> ********, Dolan! Get you head out into the air and read
> what I'm about to write: I will tell you what I think
> about a bike, ONCE I'VE RIDDEN IT! Unliked certain
> cretins, I do not come to a determination of the value
> of a bike, TO ME, until I've done that! Yes, I realize
> that you feel that actually experiencing something is
> not worth the effort, that a better way of judging a
> bike is by not riding it, but merely being told what
> the price and weight are. I don't happen to agree with
> that. And, I would be willing to bet that Bob Bryant
> feels the same way. I do not believe he ever wrote a
> review or a recommendation of a bike he had never
> ridden. Anyone who tells you what a "good value"
> something is, based solely on ignorance and prejudice,
> is someone to avoid. But they are funny to listen to,
> so keep up the good work, Dolan and Love.

I was under the impression that Varney had ridden the Bigha
and that he was recommending it because there were
considerations other than weight and price which might make
it a good value for some individuals. Well, if he has never
ridden it and he is not recommending it, then I do not know
what all these posts on this thread are about. I have
already stated previously that weight and price are the MOST
important considerations, but not the ONLY considerations. I
think that is what he is saying also.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:52:39 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I believe he has also lost advertising revenue in that
> >some manufacturers (fairly major) will not advertise in
> >his magazine or even send him information for listing. I
would
> >never consider buying any recumbent from such a
> >manufacturer.
>
> Does he name names of these manufacturers who have
> retaliated for unfavorable reviews so that we can join you
> in never consider buying from them?

I believe right off the top of my head that Lightning Cycles
Dynamics (P-38) and Turner were two of the major offenders.
What is really funny about all of this is that Bryant never
says anything too severe, but if the review is not totally
complementary they take offense. The egos involved in the
recumbent bicycle business are something to behold. My view
is that if you can't get along with Bob Bryant, then you
can't get along with anybody.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slugger wrote:
>
> > ... I then went to a bike store in town that specializes
> > in recumbents. I then road the Burley Koosah....
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the Burley Koosah/Jett Creek
> looks like a RANS Stratus with the triangulating frame
> tubes removed?

That may well be because the Stratus was always a very good
design. I feel like the Burley Koosah is most likely the
classic design that is going to prevail for LWB OSS direct
steer. The seat is where it should be, the BB is where it
should be and the handlebars are where they should be. The
head tube and fork rake look about right. The 26" rear wheel
is the only way to go. And finally, the price looks good too
at $899. (Hostel Shoppe). I would only have to ride it to
check out the comfort of the seat.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota