Has anyone tried the "slime lite self healing road tubes"?

JoseM

Nov 18, 2005
Title pretty much says it all...has anyone used the Slime Lite Self Healing Road Tubes and if so.... how did they work? I've had a few flats recently on my commutes to/from work and was wondering if this was worth it. Any opinions? Thanks!

The last two I bought were both defective - bad presta valves contaminated with the slime gunk (couldn't clean it up and make it work) - unfortunately I threw the first one away blaming myself for a bad installation. I won't buy again.

Jim

JoseM said:
Title pretty much says it all...has anyone used the Slime Lite Self Healing Road Tubes and if so.... how did they work? I've had a few flats recently on my commutes to/from work and was wondering if this was worth it. Any opinions? Thanks!
If your getting flats from road debris, I'd forget self-sealing tubes and get some stronger tires. Recommend you take a look Continental Ultragatorskins or something similar with a high puncture/cut resistant casing. Believe the right tire (and right pressures) will prevent most all the flats.

dhk said:
If your getting flats from road debris, I'd forget self-sealing tubes and get some stronger tires. Recommend you take a look Continental Ultragatorskins or something similar with a high puncture/cut resistant casing. Believe the right tire (and right pressures) will prevent most all the flats.
Yes, also try Mr Tuffy (etc) tyre liners.

Slime tubes tend to slime your shirt too.

Scotty

Yes, I bought a set for my bike since i would often ride at night and couldn't see what was in front of me clearly and ended up running over some glass shards. First time I ran over something I hear the air whoosing as it lost air but then it sealed up. A few days later the tube was completely flat and wouldnt hold air. Not worth it in my opinion, more costly than a reg tube and there is a weight penalty. I also got green slime all over the seat post area.