Has anyone tried Total Immersion?

T

Try Tri Tom

Have you tried Total Immersion and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks

Try Tri Tom

"Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Have you tried Total Immersion and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Yes it is an excellent technique for improving gliding through the water. Swimming is the discipline
where technique matters much more than the others. The book is easy to follow with plenty of useful
exercises although they are a bit boring.

Probably about 90% of us have looked at total Immersion stuff. It is probably some of the best
swimming info out there. It has helped me drop a good chunk of time and swimming is a strength.
Good Luck Mike

On 5/1/03 7:20 AM, "Try Tri Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> Thanks
>
> Try Tri Tom

I went to a workshop in February. In general, it's a godsend if you're a bad swimmer, useful if
you're average, and useless if you're already a good swimmer.

If you buy into it completely, be prepared to re-learn how to swim. Their training emphasizes
relentless repetition of drills that are designed to teach your muscle memory how to perform each
fraction of a stroke perfectly.

Personally, I think this is the wrong time of year to be attending their workshops (assuming
you're a triathlete). Spring is the time when we're beginning to build our aerobic base, increase
distances, and get in the open water if possible. The optimum time for TI training (IMHO) is in
the fall when you can spend the winter in a lap pool unconcerned about aerobic training and
focusing on form.

YMMV, John