Has anyone use a Sram hollow pin road chain?

Bman

Guest
I think it is a PC89HR. Has any used one of these on their
bike? Does it wear out faster? Are they strong enough or
just a hype job? Thanks

[email protected] (Bman) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I think it is a PC89HR. Has any used one of these on their
> bike? Does it wear out faster? Are they strong enough or
> just a hype job? Thanks

I have one with the hollow pins and the slotted sides. It
works fine. I only started using it this year so it doesn't
really have that many miles on it. Because I think chain
wear is way over-rated as to its importance, and because I
don't pay much attention to the condition of the chain until
it starts making noise to tell me it needs lube, I couldn't
comment about observed longevity for someone who takes such
things more seriously than me. My opinion, though, is that I
don't see why it should wear out faster, since the hollow
pin doesn't affect the bearing surface. The chain is almost
certainly weaker, and perhaps there are people strong enough
to deform the hollow pins but I'm not in that category. The
only down side is that it costs more.

That, and having to hear yet someone else tell you again
that it only saves thirty grams which is less than you could
save by (fill in with just about anything) and therefore it
is insignificant.

JP

On 23 Jun 2004 22:21:25 -0700, [email protected] (Bman) wrote:

>I think it is a PC89HR. Has any used one of these on their
>bike? Does it wear out faster? Are they strong enough or
>just a hype job? Thanks

I don't know anything about the hype, but I do use this
chain. It is the first one that I have used. I have put 1500
miles on it. No obvious signs of wear, and no measurable
stretching.

David James