has bettini got the world cup?

claggy

Jun 7, 2003
after 2 impressive wins , a course next week that suits him , along with lombardy, he looks well on the way. going on yesterdays race i can only see cassagrande , di luca , rebellin and boogerd challenging.

1 Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quick Step-Davitamon 300 Pts
2 Peter Van Petegem (Bel) Lotto-Domo 203
3 Michael Boogerd (Ned) Rabobank 164
4 Davide Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 151
5 Mirko Celestino (Ita) Saeco 138
6 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Saeco 124
7 Dario Pieri (Ita) Saeco 117
8 Francesco Casagrande (Ita) Lampre 108
9 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Team Telekom 100
10 Erik Zabel (Ger) Team Telekom 86
11 Frank Vandenbroucke (Bel) Quick.Step-Davitamon 85
12 Fabio Baldato (Ita) Alessio 83
13 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Credit Agricole 74
14 Luca Paolini (Ita) Quick.Step-Davitamon 73
15 Igor Astarloa (Spa) Saeco 71

I think Bettini won't let this slip anymore. The guy's racing is impressive.

Isn't it uncanny that that Bettini is now winning races in a very familiar fashion to an old team leader he used to domestique for.

Ah yes, the "Warrior", one Michele Bartoli, silent until the final move but always knew when to wait and when it was going to go. Il cato i beleive they called him, the cat. They call bettini Il grillo, the grasshopper, but which one can jump further. Bettini has a fantastic pair of legs but I can see that the friendship and racing relationship between him and Bartoli is now paying dividends.

Their racing styles are very similar and they both know how to deliver a kill blow in the classics, thats for sure.

Hello. I'm new to the forum but love to talk racing.

I think Bettini is gone. Van Petegem just doesn't seem to have the legs when any hills are involved late in the season. Rebellin has been riding good but he has too much ground to make up. Boogerd is consistent but never good enough to make the big break. I think Bettini will take the WC with Rebellin second and Van Petegem will hold on for third.

welcome tyler rules
i agree with you both boogerd and rebellin lack that killer punch , and van petegem cant climb. di luca is also too far back and is not as strong as bettini anyway.

Van Petegem casn do well in Paris-tours i think but then again all the remaning races are suited to Bettini are they not

i'd say Bettini's main challenger is Michael Boogerd vbut at over 130 points behind, he'll have to win one and place highly on the toher 2 if he is to stand a chance

Bettini is just an amazing cyclist who can do everything but time trial at the highest level