Has Sheldon Lost It?

--------------01C7320D1230EE4FCCDB18CA Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Some people have expressed doubts about my sanity.
>
> My latest creation should remove all such doubts.
>
> http://harriscyclery.com/surly-rohloff

Hey - I want to be able to ride this in the PBP, and also in gnarly singetrack. Why don't the tires
have both capabilities?

Phil

> Sheldon "Drop By For A Test Ride" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
> | Nobody who has anything to do with bicycles | has _all_ of their marbles, and some of us | are
> | certifiable! | --Sheldon Brown |
> +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

--------------01C7320D1230EE4FCCDB18CA Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> Sheldon Brown wrote:
<q> <a href="http://harriscyclery.com/surly-rohloff">http://harriscyclery.com/sur-
ly-rohloff</a></blockquote> Hey - I want to be able to ride this in the PBP, and also in gnarly
singetrack. Why don't the tires have both capabilities?
<s>Sheldon "Drop By For A Test Ride" Brown <br>+------------------------------------------------+
of their marbles, and some of us

rtifiable! &n-
bsp;

p; --Sheldon
Brown | <br>+------------------------------------------------+
href="http://harriscyclery.com">http://harriscyclery.com</a>
href="http://captainbike.com">http://captainbike.com</a> <a
href="http://sheldonbrown.com">http://sheldonbrown.com</a></blockquote>

[email protected] (Matt J) wrote:

> 7 speeds isn't enough!

He has 14 speeds now. Add a triple and that would give him 42 speeds!

:)

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Some people have expressed doubts about my sanity.
>
> My latest creation should remove all such doubts.
>
> http://harriscyclery.com/surly-rohloff
>
> Sheldon "Drop By For A Test Ride" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
> | Nobody who has anything to do with bicycles | has _all_ of their marbles, and some of us | are
> | certifiable! | --Sheldon Brown |
> +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
> Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Gee, why no coaster brakes? What ever happened to choice??

:)

Pat

--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
'round-about comcast point net.

Fritz M wrote:

> [email protected] (Matt J) wrote:
>
> > 7 speeds isn't enough!
>
> He has 14 speeds now. Add a triple and that would give him 42 speeds!

Why stop there? Make the front a TA Cyclotouriste quad, and add in the Swiss bottom bracket
two-speed planetary gear system (available form Harris Cyclery, natch). That'll give him 112 speeds.

Of course, with the front chainrings he'll need a device to take up chain slack. So, why not add a
cassette of some suitable size (Campy 10 speed?) Then he'll have 1120 speeds! Talk about overlap!

Phil

In article <[email protected]>, "Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Some people have expressed doubts about my sanity.
> >
> > My latest creation should remove all such doubts.
> >
> > http://harriscyclery.com/surly-rohloff
>
> Yes...Lost it....Looks like a tandem for siamese twins!

So _that's_ who test-rides it, Sheldon together with Carapace Umber!

Sheldon, you're missing two types of bells. Maybe a bell on one handlebar and a horn on the other,
to warn others of your approach.

Van ("Forewarned is four-armed") Bagnol

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An

"Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Fritz M wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Matt J) wrote:
> >
> > > 7 speeds isn't enough!
> >
> > He has 14 speeds now. Add a triple and that would give him 42 speeds!
>
> Why stop there? Make the front a TA Cyclotouriste quad, and add in the Swiss bottom bracket
> two-speed planetary gear system (available form Harris Cyclery, natch). That'll give him
> 112 speeds.
>
> Of course, with the front chainrings he'll need a device to take up chain slack. So, why not add a
> cassette of some suitable size (Campy 10 speed?) Then he'll have 1120 speeds! Talk about overlap!

And by that time you wouldn't be able to pedal the 80-pound monstrosity because drag would be so
high, lol.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Triathletes sometimes control one brake from two levers using a splitter:
> http://www.tri-zone.com/Catalog/BrakeLevers.html#Profile Brake Splitter

2 sets of brake levers are sometimes used in 'cross, too - those in the conventional position, and a
pair of flat-bar levers on the straight top section of the drop bars. Simon Burney's excellent book
"Cyclo-cross: Training and Techniques" gives an outline of how it's all set up.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:

> 5-speed internal-crank gearbox (Shimano Japan-only, I think)

Is this a bottom bracket thing?

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33|< to alpha. 4=a 0=o 3=e +=t

Clearly, his creation needs a Schlumpf drive to be complete.

"http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl_funktion.htm"

I knew someone with that same dual handlebar setup back in the 1980s.

DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Sheldon - how did you get two sets of brake cables to connect to the same brake? How does that
> work? - If successfull you could have a good invention for tandem stokers to use.

Hmm, what kind of drugs have you been taking? The LAST thing I want a stoker to have is a set of
brakes. I'll give 'er a bell and a horn if she needs something to do.

>[email protected] (DiabloScott) wrote:

Sheldon - how did you get two sets of brake cables to connect to the same brake? How does that work?
- If successfull you could have a good invention for tandem stokers to use.

Diablo "dual pivot" Scott
--
Check out my bike blog! http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

Tanden shmandem! Could you imagine how popular this would be with cyclists who use aero bars?
MTB'ers with bar ends?

On Fri, 23 May 2003 19:12:20 +0000 (UTC), Fritz M <[email protected]+> wrote:

>[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:
>

>> 5-speed internal-crank gearbox (Shimano Japan-only, I think)
>
>Is this a bottom bracket thing?

And if so, how does it manage to fit into that tiny space? I've serviced Sturmey Archer 3speeds a
few times, and while those are certainly pretty heavy on the big & indestructible, 2 planetary gear
systems in a BB is just mindblowing..

Jasper

"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 19:12:20 +0000 (UTC), Fritz M <[email protected]+> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote:
> >

> >> 5-speed internal-crank gearbox (Shimano Japan-only, I think)
> >
> >Is this a bottom bracket thing?
>
> And if so, how does it manage to fit into that tiny space? I've serviced Sturmey Archer 3speeds a
> few times, and while those are certainly pretty heavy on the big & indestructible, 2 planetary
> gear systems in a BB is just mindblowing..

Some BB gear trains such as the old Dana unit hang over the right side of the BB shell and are quite
a bit larger diameter than an AW hub. I haven't seen the Shimano unit but I'll assume it is
similarly built.

On Sun, 25 May 2003 08:03:12 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:

>.
>>
>>Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Some people have expressed doubts about my sanity.
>>>
>Sheldon, while we're on about sanity, have you seen the sideways bike? "Lest your biking get too
>boring." http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/indiv_pages/killian_mic.php

now THAT is scary. Looks like it might break in half on the first bump... and a quick dismount
looks like it might be a trick... and looking at where that chain passes, he'd better keep that
zipper up - Ъ×

>>>Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:<[email protected]>...
>>>>
>>Sheldon, while we're on about sanity, have you seen the sideways bike? "Lest your biking get too
>>boring." http://www.johnstone-wheelers.co.uk/indiv_pages/killian_mic.php
>
>now THAT is scary. Looks like it might break in half on the first bump... and a quick dismount
>looks like it might be a trick... and looking at where that chain passes, he'd better keep that
>zipper up -
He sent me a three/four minute videotape; it was interesting to see but even from the still photos
you can appreciate he may have trouble mastering right-hand turns, I feel....

i wuza just in the shop looking for that rohloff stuff with an enclosed disk brake attachable so i
copied the litany and will check it out. know the DAF? made in the netherlands and may still be if
not flooded. i don't know how but assume that someone has thought up a way to dial in patent groups
and research the subject just so like googling but maybe that costs. the friction loss is off course
a killer but the idea is stimulating