Has the UCI dumped Armstrong ?

slovakguy said:
swampy, you make a good point with the blood test coming back positive for hiv. were that to happen, wouldn't you request/demand a second test be performed? the old standards still apply--get a second opinion in medical matters. using this motif for landis (and i really hoped that he would be vindicated) he had something like six "second" opinions which all came back positive for the identical synthetic testosterone. using ashenden's article, can you still maintain the lab had spiked landis' samples to achieve those results? i have greater respect for the cleanliness of the tdf than i have for toc, gdi, or vds with their "spotless" testing records.
The difference there is that when you or I go back for a second test, we give a new blood sample. It goes off to a different lab and it tested by different staff on a different machine. This isn't the case with Tour samples. All of Floyds samples for Stage 17 were done on the same machine by the same staff.

From the evidence given, it was shown that the isoprime machine used was carried out the tests when out of spec, 5.2x10-6 millibars (rather than the operating range of 2 and 4x10-6 millibars). It was shown during testimony that lab staff were not aware of this range and it was also shown that they did not have documentation/manuals for this device. It was noted that pressures this high will lead to instrument damage and invalid results. The operating manual specifically states that the operator "wait until the pressure shown on the Penning gauge falls below 5E-6" I'm not sure how much more specific the manufacturers manual could have been.

Then again, they could have used their other isoprime machine, that still had the "lifting rings" attached to the magnets. The rings are only suposed to be present during installation (the magnets weigh 45kg each) and must be removed prior to running the machine. Given that these machines internal parts are required to be manufactured to 0.005 millimeters, leaving these huge (and very heavy) lifting rings in place will skew readings. Now, Floyds initial tests of the "positive" results were not done on this machine but the restests were. What I'm questioning though is given that the Isoprime1 machine was shown to be operating out of manufacturer specified tolerances and Isoprime 2 had never been configure properly since installation, how well are the machines maintained?

As for the identification of methyltestosterone then rules for identification of such is pretty straight forward:

TD2003IDCR - The retention time fo the analyte shall not differ by more than one percent or +-0.2 minutes (which ever is smaller) from that of the same subatance in a spiked urine sample.

Using the 'A' sample in question the rention time was 21.13 minutes, however the analysis of blank urine they identified this at 20.92 - ie 0.21 minutes, which is outside WADA specs for the same test. Similar issues where noted throughout the tests.

I'm not sure if you're aware but during 2006, LLND public declared that some samples stated as postive were infact contaminated by it's own controls. Leaked documents during that year prove that they botched samples, mislabeled samples (wrong sample numbers and dates) and some of these documents were signed by Dr Olivier Rabin, the WADA science director, who it has to be said, has never denied the authenticity of these documents.

But back the the AIDS analogy - if I wanted a second opinion, guess where I wouldn't want my sample to be tested?

limerickman said:
You've put an articulate arguement here Swampy.

However - if the example you cite (above) is correct, how come USADA upheld the case against Landis?
And, how come CAS also upheld the case against Landis too?

Or are you suggesting that Chatennay Malabry, USADA, CAS and WADA are all part of some conspiracy to deliberately sabotage a set of test results?
You take a read of that link and then you tell me... There's not much on each page and after about 10 minutes and 20 pages you may be thinking, WTF. There seems to be errors and falsifications across the board but I'm not sure I'd go as far as "they were looking out for each other".

Other fun stuff to consider: Oscar Pereiro publicly stated that he knew that Landis was positive before the UCI noticed was made. Riders knew on the 21st that "a top 10 rider was positive"... and this was before the 1st confirmation result on the A sample was complete (July 22nd) The 21st was the day after the stage where Landis was found to be positive.

The IRMS work was started before the first comfirmation result was complete, something that is not normal and hightly unusual... Why was this done only on this one sample?

swampy1970 said:
You take a read of that link and then you tell me... There's not much on each page and after about 10 minutes and 20 pages you may be thinking, WTF. There seems to be errors and falsifications across the board but I'm not sure I'd go as far as "they were looking out for each other".

Other fun stuff to consider: Oscar Pereiro publicly stated that he knew that Landis was positive before the UCI noticed was made. Riders knew on the 21st that "a top 10 rider was positive"... and this was before the 1st confirmation result on the A sample was complete (July 22nd) The 21st was the day after the stage where Landis was found to be positive.

The IRMS work was started before the first comfirmation result was complete, something that is not normal and hightly unusual... Why was this done only on this one sample?

Not being evasive - but if the documents you linked are factually correct, why then did USADA and CAS both uphold the case against Landis?

If the testing process is littered with errors/mistakes - two separate arbitration entities saw fit to uphold the case against Landis.

If I recall Landis hired some pretty heavy-duty defence lawyers to represent him, correct?
Landis lawyers failed to convince the arbitration bodies of these errors/mistakes - that's assuming that there were mistakes of course.

swampy1970 said:

um, because it came in at an 11/1 t/e ratio?

as for another point, do you think lab techs are stupid and uniformed? i figure they just might know the biggest cycle race is making a loop around their country just about the time these samples come in. maybe they listen to radios or have tv's and can figure out that at least, what, half the samples can be hooked up to the stage's top finishers? but then to make the leap that they know this sample number is that rider so let's get to work spiking his sample in just the right amount so he's hot and we can jigger the results so a french rider has a shot? if that's the case, the french should re-examine the process because they haven't been very successful getting their riders on the top step.

and part whatever we're on now, he still hasn't come up with an explanation of how that synthetic testosterone ended up in all his samples. to further that point, since he's returned to the races, how has landis' performance measured up to his riding in that tour?

brute fact, the lab did its work, he got caught, and he paid the price. let's not let the technicalities obscure the man's cheating.

slovakguy said:
um, because it came in at an 11/1 t/e ratio?
For IRMS testing to occour there's supposed to be a tigger limit of 200 ng/mL of Testosterone or Epitestosterone. The limits for T and E were 61.37 and 5.2 (T/E 11.8), however a second analysis of the A sample revealed T and E or 172.23 and 17.59 (T/E 9.8). Remember - this was the same sample using the same equipment to test. Those discrepancies only mark a 181% variation... Just a wee bit off.

Paul Scott, former UCLA Olympic Lab Director commented:

"TD2004EAAS is the controlling document. It required that ion 432 be used to establish the T/E ratio. This is true of both the screen and the confirmation. TD2004EAAS also requires, for the confirmations, that "the identity of the steroid reported with abnormal properties must be made..." It the references

TD2003IDRC as the document controlling such identification.

TD2003IDRC provides, in short, four diagnostic options for such identifications.

1. Full scan with at least three diagnostic ions available at a relative abundance greater than 5%
2. Full scan on a second "run" of the sample with such second run using a different derivative producing different diagnostic ions.
3. SIM with at least three diagnostic ions.
4. SIM with at least two diagnostic ions per run. Each such run using a different derivative producing different diagnostic ions.

All evidence we have indicated the LNDD did not of these. It appears to "identify" T and E exclusively using retention time and a single ion."

So, from Mr Scotts comments, how do you know that they actually managed to correctly identify T and E?

Don Catlin stated that Landis's results would have been a negative at UCLA (UCLA is the largest WADA accredited lab in the world). There's quite a bit of verbage on why - check out page 55 of the Wiki Defense from the link I posted if you really what further info...

...so, i go ahead and grant your argument that landis was framed (which i am not. i will only go so far as to say that landis is trying to get his victory through a technicality. and with an 11/1 t/e ration he'd have to have a bull elephant's sack swinging between his thighs--the balance issues for bike riding alone would discount that argument.) or he should be granted the victory because of the numerous lab errors. fine. one hip job and two years of training later, his performance is nowhere near the level he showed to win in the tdf. court of public opinion-he cheated.

"Verbage" - not a word. "Verbiage" - a word only used by posers.

I never thought this thread would devolve into a vortex which sucked in a Landis apologist.

Here's the thing: errors were made by all parties, but the most egregious error was Landis having the ****ing synthetic testosterone in his system in the first place. If he wants to argue procedure and due process, that's fine. But I'll still believe that he's a cheat, just like I still believe OJ killed his wife. Can the drug testing system be improved? Most certainly. But that doesn't displace the fact that Landis didn't play by the rules which he agreed to play by. I find that more appalling than clerical errors at a lab.

At some point, the relevance of the big picture takes a pragmatic front seat to the irrelevant details of a given situation. We're way past that point with Landis, so take your ******** to the forum where articulate people fellate each other over minutea such as the angle of the **** hitting the cup and the volume of alcohol one drinks prior to giving a sample for a dope test.

swampy1970 said:
Don Catlin stated that Landis's results would have been a negative at UCLA (UCLA is the largest WADA accredited lab in the world). There's quite a bit of verbage on why - check out page 55 of the Wiki Defense from the link I posted if you really what further info...
There is your problem right there. FLandis' Wiki defense was filled with lies and distortions. The outrageous and unsupported nature of Landis' arguments is why he is paying a $100K fine off in installments.

Don Catlin said (about Landis' data from the TdF) that it was clear that there was doping going on.

sherlock12 said:

This has been the most useful post in the whole thread...

Wht noy just copy and paste any other Armstrong posting instead of wasting the time and effort writing another?

They go like this:
Armstrong took a pee yesterday.
****ing doper.
7 wins never positive.
6 EPO positives.
Never been caught.
Doesn't mean he isn't a cheater.
He loves cancer.
He's a cheat.
Plus he loves women that look like his mum.
Never tested positive.
He's making a come back.
He's the devil.
He's a god.

Did I leave anything out?

You gotta admit my version is 17 pages shorter and contains the same amount of useful info...

Eldron said:

Wht noy just copy and paste any other Armstrong posting instead of wasting the time and effort writing another?

They go like this:
****ing doper.
7 wins never positive.
6 EPO positives.
Never been caught.
He loves cancer.
He's a cheat.
Never tested positive.
He's making a come back.
He's the devil.
He's a god.

You gotta admit my version is 17 pages shorter and contains the same amount of useful info...
But it lacks the drama... :D

Bro Deal said:
There is your problem right there. FLandis' Wiki defense was filled with lies and distortions. The outrageous and unsupported nature of Landis' arguments is why he is paying a $100K fine off in installments.

Don Catlin said (about Landis' data from the TdF) that it was clear that there was doping going on.
I brought up the Wiki defense not because I wanted to drag out the whole Landis deal again but to show that some of the labs are not as squeaky clean as you may have thought - which goes back to my earlier arguement in the thread that labs should be held to the same high standard that the riders are being held to.

If a lab can't process the same sample and get the same results then there's something wrong between that sample entering the lab and the results leaving the lab... The reason they spend all that money on fancy calibrated equipment is so that results, given the same procedures and correct methodology, are repeatable at any time, regardless of location.

jimmypop said:
"Verbage" - not a word. "Verbiage" - a word only used by posers.
It's a slang term that's a bit different that verbiage...

... but then again I forgot I'm in the middle of a bunch of scientific folk who'd never use slang. :rolleyes:

Eldron said:

They go like this:
****ing doper.
7 wins never positive.
6 EPO positives.
Never been caught.
He loves cancer.
He's a cheat.
Never tested positive.
He's making a come back.
He's the devil.
He's a god.

Nike?

And all the while that everyone is *****ing about LA on here my poor little thread about the Amstel Gold race, you know, one of those cycling races that isn't the TdF gets totally totally ignored. I mean I know LA isn't racing it but some other professional cyclists are. Some of them are probably even on drugs!

Eldron said:

They go like this:
****ing doper.
7 wins never positive. [limerickman warns poster to moderate his tone]
6 EPO positives.
Never been caught. [limerickman threatens poster to either moderate his tone or be censored]
He loves cancer. [limerickman warns poster that if this keeps up, the poster will be banned]
He's a cheat.
Never tested positive. [limerickman blows stack, starts censoring posts]
He's making a come back.
He's the devil.
He's a god. [limerickman bans poster]

There. It's fixed.

Eldrack said:
And all the while that everyone is *****ing about LA on here my poor little thread about the Amstel Gold race, you know, one of those cycling races that isn't the TdF gets totally totally ignored. I mean I know LA isn't racing it but some other professional cyclists are. Some of them are probably even on drugs!
Looking back at the winners list for that event is seems as though half the names have been banned at some time or other... :D

finding myself in agreement, although not 100%, with cedric vasseur's opinion on the discipline due armstrong. given he's not reputed to dodge the ooc testers in the past, issue the stern warning. falling out with him on trying to lessen the issue by calling it a "small" mistake. if we are to take the testing seriously, any action which might lead one to suspect masking should never be deemed small.

Just to remember that Armstrong had not pay all money that deserved Vasseur when racing with Postal...
Maybe he has got that money!

a point i will concede to you, pouli. just saying c.v. in my opinion has the punishment right for the crime. you must admit armstrong does not have a history of dodging the dco. in this case, unlike with rasmussen's several missed tests, it would be difficult to sell a two-year suspension. hoping that afld have learned their lessons and will send a witness along to verify the dco's version. the only other option is for afld to go full speed ahead and suspend armstrong for two years and show the community that afld expect full compliance. very difficult choice to make.

I just pointed that Vasseur could have waited the full information before speaking.
No one (extern) knows exactly what happened.