Has the UCI dumped Armstrong ?

swampy1970 said:
BACKGROUND—Beta-2 agonists such as salbutamol are used, not only by asthmatic athletes to prevent exercise induced asthma, but also by non-asthmatic athletes as a potentially ergogenic agent. We have investigated whether inhaled salbutamol enhances endurance performance in non-asthmatic athletes.
METHODS—A prospective double blind, randomised, three way crossover design was used to study the effects of 200 µg and 800 µg inhaled salbutamol versus a placebo in 12 trained triathletes. The treatments were compared in three identical cycle ergometer sessions at 85% of the predetermined maximal oxygen uptake. Lung function, endurance time, metabolic parameters (glucose, potassium, lactate, free fatty acid, and glycerol), and psychomotor performance were evaluated.
RESULTS—Neither endurance time nor post-exercise bronchodilation were significantly different between the treatments. Metabolic parameters were affected by exercise but not by treatment.
CONCLUSIONS—Inhaled salbutamol, even in a high dose, did not have a significant effect on endurance performance in non-asthmatic athletes, although the bronchodilating effect of the drug at the beginning of exercise may have improved respiratory adaptation. Our results do not preclude an ergogenic effect of β2 agonists given by other routes or for a longer period.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1746141

The effect of salbutamol on performance in endurance cyclists.

Norris SR, Petersen SR, Jones RL.

Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.

The effect of salbutamol (S) on cycling performance was examined in 15 highly trained non-asthmatic male cyclists. A double-blind, randomized cross-over design was used with S or placebo (P) administered using a metered-dose inhaler and a spacer device 20 min before each testing session. The S dose was 400 micrograms (four puffs), which is twice the normal therapeutic level. Subjects were habituated to all the laboratory procedures in the week prior to actual data collection. The subjects performed four tests under S and P conditions on separate days over 2 weeks. These included measurement of maximal O2 uptake (VO2max) (cycle ergometry) with assessment of pulmonary function before and after, a submaximal (90% of ventilatory threshold) square-wave work transition from a base of unloaded cycling, a 60-s modified Wingate test, and a simulated 20 km time trial. No significant differences were observed in any of the dependent variables related to aerobic endurance or cycling performance between the S and P conditions. These results support other findings that an acute dose (400 micrograms) of S has no performance-enhancing properties.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8781870?dopt=Abstract
So you looked at two abstracts and now are an expert? If you payed attention to the articles you cite, you might notice the doses used in the study are minimal and less than the amount Pettachi's TUE allows. Of course their was no benefit. Go to a bodybuilding forum and type in clenbuterol, albuterol, or salbutamol and see what doses athletes are really using. It may astound you. If you are truly interested in some background on beta agonists and performance read a review article that looks at multiple studies. You may also want to pay more attention to studies that are looking at effects of higher dose beta agonists. Since it appears you are capable of searching Pubmed, I'll leave it to you...I've already done it and don't feel like doing your homework for you.

fscyclist said:
So you looked at two abstracts and now are an expert? If you payed attention to the articles you cite, you might notice the doses used in the study are minimal and less than the amount Pettachi's TUE allows. Of course their was no benefit. Go to a bodybuilding forum and type in clenbuterol, albuterol, or salbutamol and see what doses athletes are really using. It may astound you. If you are truly interested in some background on beta agonists and performance read a review article that looks at multiple studies. You may also want to pay more attention to studies that are looking at effects of higher dose beta agonists. Since it appears you are capable of searching Pubmed, I'll leave it to you...I've already done it and don't feel like doing your homework for you.
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

The point is, if the tester had issues with LA's going to the shower, he should have noted that on the official testing form's section of "irregularities", which was signed by both he and LA, instead of stating "none" in that section.

Not only have the tester's failure to follow LA into the shower and the tester's failing to note the irregularities on the official testing form cost LA due process, they have inappropriately caused LA negative publicity on a point (lack of doping) important to a professional cyclist.

musette said:
The point is, if the tester had issues with LA's going to the shower, he should have noted that on the official testing form's section of "irregularities", which was signed by both he and LA, instead of stating "none" in that section.

Not only have the tester's failure to follow LA into the shower and the tester's failing to note the irregularities on the official testing form cost LA due process, they have inappropriately caused LA negative publicity on a point (lack of doping) important to a professional cyclist.
Do you write this **** with a straight face? Please, don't procreate.

musette said:

Amstel Gold race was on yesterday.
In Holland.
Holland is a country in western Europe.

jimmypop said:
Do you write this **** with a straight face? Please, don't procreate.
He has a point that there was fault with the tester too. To me it seems that the tester has been ok with the situation but when he's told about it to his supervisors they have started this hassle. It seems possible that LA had something to hide but the behaviour of the tester doesn't go along with that. Why didn't he write anything in the testing form? It doesn't sound normal that if LA had really tried to avoid the tester he wouldn't have done anything. If I had been that tester I would've made it clear what kind of an offense it was to leave me out on the doorstep and make sure LA's behaviour was written down on the form.

I don't think I'm (too much) biased towards either party adn I do find Armstrong's story much more plausible. Maybe the tester was ok with them checking his identity and maybe he said it was ok to take a shower. It really is just Armstrong's and Bruyneel's word against the tester's word since nothing irregular was reported on the testing form.

RdBiker said:
He has a point that there was fault with the tester too. To me it seems that the tester has been ok with the situation but when he's told about it to his supervisors they have started this hassle. It seems possible that LA had something to hide but the behaviour of the tester doesn't go along with that. Why didn't he write anything in the testing form? It doesn't sound normal that if LA had really tried to avoid the tester he wouldn't have done anything. If I had been that tester I would've made it clear what kind of an offense it was to leave me out on the doorstep and make sure LA's behaviour was written down on the form.

I don't think I'm (too much) biased towards either party adn I do find Armstrong's story much more plausible. Maybe the tester was ok with them checking his identity and maybe he said it was ok to take a shower. It really is just Armstrong's and Bruyneel's word against the tester's word since nothing irregular was reported on the testing form.

In my opinion if the form says nothing irregular then there really isn't any room to prosecute LA. Testers word versus LA's word - I'm no lawyer but that's a legal stalemate...

fscyclist said:
I've been taking the stuff for quite a while. I've read more than enough to have an informed opinion as well as dabbling with various doses (after talking with a Pulmonologist) and seeing if that changes anything at doses above normal. As the Pulmonologist mentioned, there'd be more chance of side effects than any positive results. In my test of one - I noticed no increase in power (measured by PT SL 2.4) but a few side effects.

For bodybuilding "effects" ie very slight muscle gain and fat loss, you need to consistantly take large quanitities of the stuff. But, I'm guessing that Petacchi wasn't overly fat midway through a Grand Tour and muscle mass really isn't all the desirable on a bike - unless you're a fiesty track sprinter.

Petacchi won 5 stages of that Giro - so at least 5 tests. Only one was 'non-negative'. If that was the only stage that he tested positive for then one can assume that he was taking it for asthma and not for 'other' reasons. Said stage was ridden in very cold weather and heavy rain, which are conditions which trigger asthma symptoms in many people.

rob of the og said:
Is there actually a source for this other than repetitions of the Armstrong/Bruyneel report?
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/sports/cycling/10cycling.html?ref=global

nytimes said:
Armstrong, in a statement released this week, called the accusation “outrageous.” He said that the drug tester noted no irregularities with the test on the official sample collection form. That form was signed by Armstrong and the tester, Armstrong said.
Sorry I can't access the document so we'll have to rely on what we are told...

I don't understand why AFLD would allow newspapers to publish such comments and not correct the issue if there had been something on the form. I wouldn't think Armstrong would be so stupid as to lie about this since it would be very easy to prove by just showing/looking at the form.

I wonder if the testers are prohibited from telling anything about the tests they carry out since there hasn't been a word from the tester himself. Everything I've read has been from the AFLD.

limerickman said:
Amstel Gold race was on yesterday.
In Holland.
Holland is a country in western Europe.
Pendle Hill is used for burning witches and hosting hill climbs. It too is in a country in western Europe.

There's a nice cafe down the road that serves a nice breakfast on a Sunday.

swampy1970 said:
Pendle Hill is used for burning witches and hosting hill climbs. It too is in a country in western Europe.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

swampy1970 said:

finally a topic which doesn't involve doping! i say it's high time we cracked down on this lot!

slovakguy said:
finally a topic which doesn't involve doping! i say it's high time we cracked down on this lot!

Hey not so fast. Did you know that too much caffein is doping? And who knows what's in the Danish?

swampy1970 said:

Pendle Hill?
Never heard of a country in Europe called Pendle Hill.

.......but if they're still burning witches there, send a PM with directions to Musette.
She'll feel right at home there.

limerickman said:
Pendle Hill?

.......but if they're still burning witches there, send a PM with directions to Musette.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

swampy1970 said:

It's a good walk too, or run if your knees can still take it. The Clarets have just scored too! Get in Pato!

OK, it's not really cycling related but it's better than one of Flyer's posts.

mrfrogger said:
It's a good walk too, or run if your knees can still take it. The Clarets have just scored too! Get in Pato!

OK, it's not really cycling related but it's better than one of Flyer's posts.
ttttt

limerickman said:
Pendle Hill?

That's why I said "It too is in a country in western Europe" - just so know where to send folk. ;)