Has the UCI dumped Armstrong ?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by whiteboytrash, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

His silence speaks volumes, given that a few weeks ago he Twitted if he went for a shit.

2. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

lance's little farce is making me chuckle a bit more. a few months ago "outside" magazine ran a puffpiece interview with his holiness about his comeback. when he was asked about how pervasive ped's are in cycling he ranted, "...Will people cheat? Hell, yeah, they're gonna cheat...OK. Look. I want a clean sport [the 90 minutes showers?-my commentary] I want people to be able to watch the event and say, 'i believe that.' But I'm not going to stand on top of this chair and scream how clean i am. I'll stand on top of this chair and scream how hard i work and how much i want to win."

subtle shift from the "i've never tested positive" tack he's used for these many years?

3. kennf

kennf New Member

I believe that is all simply coming from his lack of respect for the AFLD, more than anything else. I think he just wanted to inconvenience the tester--not smart given the rules about the anti-doping official needing to stay in contact. But I find it hard to believe he was doing something that would risk a positive given that he knew he was targeted, and it's early in the season with no target races.

But then again, I used to think a rider would be crazy to inject someone else's blood.

4. Leafer

Leafer New Member

Why not? They barred big names like Ullrich and Basso in '06 and defending Tour winner Contador last year based on a whole lot less. Personally, I think ASO will look for any reason to keep Armstrong/Contador/Astana/Bruyneel out of the Tour, and if they can, more power to them. Live by the sword, die by the sword, and all that. Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Yeah, most people would read it as you did... but then you're dealing with folks who seem to revolve their whole life around waiting for Lance to get busted for something. ;)

6. poulidor

poulidor New Member

You missed something.

Lance has to dope if he wants to be a leader on GIRO or TDF.
    He has to clear 3 year of retirement and his age, that cant be done in a year but by doping outside races he can train longer and harder.
    Don't forget he should have had a "fight" with Contador.

7. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

lance impugns the frence, again

"This is just another example of the improper behavior by the French laboratory and the French anti-doping organizations," Armstrong said.

not sure how a duly accredited doping-control agent behaved improperly, or the lab, or the french, but so speaks his majesty.

8. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Well AFLD tester is saying he warned Armstrong about his conduct in taking a shower. Armstrong says the tester said it was ok. Now who would you believe ? and why would the lab be corrupt if the samples came back negative ?

9. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

I don't think ASO or UCI want to nail Lance. They are getting far too much good mileage from his return.

ASO know what he's about but are willing to put up with his participation in one more Tour because of millions more viewers. Wasn't L'equipe told by its owners to shift its empasis from doping from now on. Marie-Odile Amaury, the owner of L'equipe also owns ASO.

As for UCI, they are getting HUGE publicity for their own pet projects - worldwide coverage of the hardly-known-outside-its-own-backyard Tour Down Under, his upcoming participation inthe Tour of Ireland which is run by McQuaid's brother, a huge bost for the TOC, and so on and so on. I would even include the Giro there because I guess it also needs as much publicity as it can get.

Therefore it is in neither the UCI or ASO's interest that Lance gets caught. Not saying they would cover up anything, but I can't see the ASo barring Lance from riding the tour unless his bahaviour here is condusive to missing a test.

10. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

Doping sells more news and newspapers than the everyday reporting on the Tour.

11. parawolf

parawolf New Member

Gawd, you guys are behind the times. This test was carried out on the 20th of March. You can see his comments from twitter.com about it at the time.

Seriously... you all lap this up as if it is current events!

12. RdBiker

RdBiker New Member

I read it so that the tester said that after he had taken the samples and not that he would have warned Armstrong in advance.
    I still think that the guy who carried out the tests should have been more persistent with his attempts to carry out the test instead of just waiting. He could've just said that "ok, no problem, go and take a shower. We'll give you a positive test then" and I guess Lance wouldn't have gone anywhere.

13. RdBiker

RdBiker New Member

It seems that there was no risk of him getting caught after all.

14. jimmypop

jimmypop New Member

Not yet. They're taking his hair for a reason, though.

15. Bike N Ski

Bike N Ski New Member

They can't help themselves, they're addicted to Armstrong. If there was a drug test for this, they'd all test positive regardless of how many showers they took.

16. swampy1970

Cyclingnews picked up on it straight away.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr07news

Lance responded today.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/apr09/apr08news

Velonews posted an article yesterday too...

http://www.velonews.com/article/90320/lance-armstrong-says-he-is-outraged-over-claims-that-he

... and on the same day that the story hit the fan! Maybe the rest of the world should appologize to you for not being so on the ball as the the whereabout of Lance and what he's been upto as you are.

17. Leafer

Leafer New Member

Hilarious how defensive the fanboys get every time a new chapter of The Adventures of Lance The Doper emerges. It's a never ending story, boys and girls, the gift that keeps on giving. Better get used to it.

18. parawolf

parawolf New Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/mar09/mar20news

Perhaps you missed it?

Sure it doesn't have all the juice.

Same day that he reported it on his twitter - with the comments about the publicly leaked information about a shower. I'm no Lance fan boi, I just have an interest in cycling - hence I also follow Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwen, Hunter Allen, Training Peaks, etc

19. swampy1970

Herpes is the gift that keeps on giving. Unfortunately, for you, it would seem that HSV-1 has more cells than your brain does and HSV-2 has better grammar.

Fanboy? Not at all. I'm fully aware that there's more than a few cyclists out there who are doing 'stuff' that aint legal. However, that's their choice and I choose to not lose sleep over it. I've got better things to do that keep hitting F5 to refresh whichever website is likely to post your holy grail of stories first. When they get caught, hit 'em with the appropriate punishment and move on.

Next.

20. Leafer

Leafer New Member

My, so defensive.

And yet you can't stop replying.