Has There Been Death Caused By Unicycling?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Jerrick, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    I was just thinking, has anyone died in a unicycle related accident?
    I've seen lots of pretty bad wrecks and all, but nothing anymore
    serious then a broken bone or more.

    As far as i know, there hasn't been anything unicycle related deaths,
    which is really good in my opinion =p but if anyone out there knows of
    one or two, please tell, or say what you think about it.

    Some of the stuff I've seen, mainly Kris riding on skinnies, if you
    fell, the chances of death are very high, or some of the drops from
    doing trials, land those wrong and you can seriously injure yourself :(
    So lets see what all you have to say about this =p

    --
    Jerrick

    from chosen:

    can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
    jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
    have a shoutout from you?

    jonny

  2. irvinegr

    irvinegr Guest

  3. unisteve

    unisteve Guest

    I'm with irvinegr.

    I think there was a thread about this kind of thing a long time ago,
    but the search function doesn't seem to work very well for me. i'll
    try a domain-specific Google search.

    http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20347

    Here's the whole search result:
    http://tinyurl.com/namtx

    --
    unisteve

    -\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

    harper is my hero.
    unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

  4. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    oh weird, i did a search, went through all 11 pages that came up and
    didnt see that, thanks for the link =p

    --
    Jerrick

    from chosen:

    can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
    jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
    have a shoutout from you?

    jonny

  5. unisteve

    unisteve Guest

    Yeah, if you want to do a Google search for just a specific site use the
    "site:[site_here]" thingy and then your search criteria.

    For example, I wrote:
    "site:unicyclist.com unicycle related deaths"
    (minus the quotation marks, but you already knew that) for my search.

    --
    unisteve

    -\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

    harper is my hero.
    unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

  6. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    unisteve wrote:
    > Yeah, if you want to do a Google search for just a specific site use the
    > "site:[site_here]" thingy and then your search criteria.
    >
    > For example, I wrote:
    > "site:unicyclist.com unicycle related deaths"
    > (minus the quotation marks, but you already knew that) for my search.

    Thanks, ill use that for my next searches, seems like you get a lot
    better results that way =p

    --
    Jerrick

    from chosen:

    can you give me a shoutout in your sig. some thing like i love
    jonny....or jonny is the coolest. or be creative. but pleeeasssee can i
    have a shoutout from you?

    jonny

  7. David_Stone

    David_Stone Guest

    If I recall, when this thread came up before, even the inestimable John
    "God of Unicycling" Foss hadn't heard of a uni-related death that
    anyone could corroborate.

    I'm always telling people that I don't want to go down in history as
    the first uni death. For that matter, I don't want to be the second,
    third, and so on.

    I have a bad feeling that a uni-related death isn't too far away due to
    the amazing (and terrifying) things people now attempt on unicycles. I
    have the same dread that California isn't going to be around too much
    longer in its current geographical state due to the San Andreas fault.

    So John Foss could be the first person to die while unicycling if he
    happens to be riding when the 'Big One' hits. Get out of there while
    you can, John!!!

    --
    David_Stone

    Dictator for Life,
    NYUC

    Check out my blog (or else):
    http://newyorkunicycle.blogspot.com/
    David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

  8. manon1wheel

    manon1wheel Guest

  9. tholub

    tholub Guest

    David_Stone wrote:

    > I have a bad feeling that a uni-related death isn't too far away due to
    > the amazing (and terrifying) things people now attempt on unicycles. I
    > have the same dread that California isn't going to be around too much
    > longer in its current geographical state due to the San Andreas fault.

    Faults tend to change landscape on geologic time. If you want to worry
    about geographical changes on a human time scale, worry about Manhattan
    being underwater due to global warming.

    --
    tholub

  10. musketman

    musketman Guest

  11. markf

    markf Guest

  12. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    musketman wrote:
    > my cat died from a unicycle crash...:( So i guess thats a unicycle
    > related death!
    > p.s. but dont worry my cat still has 8...no..7 lives left ;)

    did you seriously run over your cat on your unicycle??
    one time a squirrel did run in front of my coker and made me swerve and
    almost UPD...I definitely could have ridden over it if I wanted to.

    --
    James_Potter

    i still believe that all you need is love...john
    lennon
    mikael atkinson
    jonny peacock is my main man.
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    *President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*

  13. GUI

    GUI Guest

    Does it count if I murder my brother with some pinned pedals?

    --
    GUI

    "Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the
    basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is
    more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of
    the universe." Frank Zappa
    GUI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11069

  14. dorkybarb

    dorkybarb Guest

    GUI wrote:
    > Does it count if I murder my brother with some pinned pedals?

    It might, but I would not recommend trying it. Althought there has
    been some temptation on my part to occassionally try it.
    Just think of the headlines!
    It wouldn't look to good for unicyclist around the world.

    --
    dorkybarb

    They say cookies hide behind every door,
    then I must be opening windows.
    -this is my brother jims version of-
    The say love hides behind every corner, then I must be walking in
    circles
    dorkybarb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10681

  15. caw89

    caw89 Guest

  16. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:14:13 -0600, James_Potter wrote:

    >one time a squirrel did run in front of my coker and made me swerve and
    >almost UPD...I definitely could have ridden over it if I wanted to.

    Scott Kurland ran over several squirrels with his Coker (on separate
    occasions), and killed them in the process.

    Unrelatedly, Scott is the only person in the world known to me to have
    learned riding a unicycle on a Coker. Jayne ZA tried to be the second.

  17. musketman

    musketman Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > did you seriously run over your cat on your unicycle??
    > one time a squirrel did run in front of my coker and made me swerve and
    > almost UPD...I definitely could have ridden over it if I wanted to.

    yea i was cruzing along and it ran in front of me and i ran right over
    it! It didn't move and i think its back broke and we had to let the vet
    kill it.

    P.S. no...actually i dont even have a cat,never did:eek:

    --
    musketman
    musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

  18. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    yeah, Kris Holm has rode on the Lions Gate Bridge's cables in Vancouver,
    B.C.

    A fall would have been a possible death. But hey, he is skilled :) ! I
    dont know of any death from a uni occurance.

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884