Has Trail slipped up again...?

Allan Gould

Guest
After the Lairig Ghru & Ben Nevis hiccups (not to mention the vaseline episode reported in
uk.rec.climbing in another thread!), has Trail slipped up again?

In Feb 2004, Trail published a circular bike route (No 15 Yorkshire Dales, Trail, Feb 2004, p. 116)
near Ingleborough going Horton - Borrins
- Sulber - Long Lane - Thwaite Lane - Wharfe - Helwith Bridge - Horton.

Many will be aware of the 4 new Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders (ETROs) covering some of the
more damaged lanes in the Dales which will come into force on 1 March. One of the purposes of the
ETROs (pace) presumably is to give the 4 routes a rest and to attempt to stabilise damage from over-
use by certain vehicle types. One of the 4 ETROs covers Long Lane/Sulber Nick.

Should Trail be drawing the attention of push-bike users (which in fairness are not restricted by
the ETROs) onto routes that have clearly been designated for interim protection?

Allan

(PS: the phrase push-bike is used to differentiate from motorbikes which are restricted by the
ETROs, and no inference is intended)

(PPS: on the map of the route provided by Trail, the labels for Long Lane and Thwaite Lane are the
wrong way round, although are correctly given in the narrative)

Allan Gould wrote:

> (PS: the phrase push-bike is used to differentiate from motorbikes which are restricted by the
> ETROs, and no inference is intended)

Never really bothered me, but if you want to make sure you don't offend the sensitive types then
"cyclists" won't and is also more accurate (there are people out there cycling on more or less than
2 wheels).

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/