Hast. Gen. almost comes true!

Kerry Nikolaise

Guest
Great day in Missouri - temps in the high 60s low 70. On my way back from my 21 mile ride. Four way
stop - I stop and proceed straight through the intersection. Car comes to stop sign on my right - I
am through the intersection. Young high school girl (could tell by the sticker in window) and girl
friend in car - barely stop at stop sign, make right turn and miss me by a foot. I am yelling at the
top of my lungs at her as I see her make the turn going right toward me - "hey, hey, hey". The
giggle and speed away as the one in the drivers side throws some litter back my way.

It is really weird how perceptive one is on the bike, because of a constant, heightened sense of
awareness.

Kerry "I wish my generalizations didn't come true" Nikolaisen

I had an identical near miss, except it was a house frau in a Mercedes turning at a 4-way stop
during rush hour in Potomac, MD. From the complete look of surprise on her face as I vented my
anger, it was clear that never saw me. I think 4-way stops are complicated for drivers: cars are
entering from all sides with each driver trying to decide when to move forward vs. everyone else. In
the meantime, drivers don't expect to see cyclists and so we're simply not "seen." Clearly, crossing
an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're invisible and
proceed accordingly... JAZ

news:[email protected]...

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:46:46 -0400, "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clearly, crossing an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're
> invisible and proceed accordingly...

One sound survival strategy is always to conduct yourself among motor vehicles as though you were
invisible to the driver.

Just because you're paranoid dosen't mean they aren't actually out to get you.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:46:46 -0400, "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Clearly, crossing an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're
>> invisible and proceed accordingly...
>
> One sound survival strategy is always to conduct yourself among motor vehicles as though you were
> invisible to the driver.

But then, how does a cyclist effect a well lane-positioned left turn from a 4-way stop? If you're
invisible to the driver behind you,
he'll run you over to get to the stop line. If you're invisible to the oncoming straight-through
driver, he'll run you over as you make your turn. And if you're invisible to the cross
traffic, they'll run you over as you ingress the intersection.

And if you're *acting* as if you're invisible, you're cowering in the right-hand gutter, waiting for
there to be no traffic at all before proceeding. And the right-hand gutter is not a place from which
to hang a left. Might as well make a pedestrian box-turn.

So, I respectfully disagree. 4-ways are not a place to be (or act as if) invisible. They're a place
to be loud-&-proud. Let me repeat that: they're a place to be loud-&-proud.

Furthermore, I've learnt to not signal my left turn intentions while stopped at 4-ways. It just
befuddles and empuzzles all the other drivers. I just go as the oncomer goes, then signal, and make
my turn behind the oncomer. I still have my skin on. It works. Or has, heretofore.

cheers, & a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man [Jebediah Springfield], Tom