Hast. Gen. almost comes true!

• Thread starter Kerry Nikolaise
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerry Nikolaise

Great day in Missouri - temps in the high 60s low 70. On my way back from my 21 mile ride. Four way
stop - I stop and proceed straight through the intersection. Car comes to stop sign on my right - I
am through the intersection. Young high school girl (could tell by the sticker in window) and girl
friend in car - barely stop at stop sign, make right turn and miss me by a foot. I am yelling at the
top of my lungs at her as I see her make the turn going right toward me - "hey, hey, hey". The
giggle and speed away as the one in the drivers side throws some litter back my way.

It is really weird how perceptive one is on the bike, because of a constant, heightened sense of
awareness.

Kerry "I wish my generalizations didn't come true" Nikolaisen

I had an identical near miss, except it was a house frau in a Mercedes turning at a 4-way stop
during rush hour in Potomac, MD. From the complete look of surprise on her face as I vented my
anger, it was clear that never saw me. I think 4-way stops are complicated for drivers: cars are
entering from all sides with each driver trying to decide when to move forward vs. everyone else. In
the meantime, drivers don't expect to see cyclists and so we're simply not "seen." Clearly, crossing
an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're invisible and
proceed accordingly... JAZ

"Kerry Nikolaisen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Great day in Missouri - temps in the high 60s low 70. On my way back from my 21 mile ride. Four
> way stop - I stop and proceed straight through the intersection. Car comes to stop sign on my
> right - I am through the intersection. Young high school girl (could tell by the sticker in
> window) and girl friend in car - barely stop at stop sign, make right turn and miss me by a
> foot. I am yelling at the top of my lungs at her as I see her make the turn going right toward
> me - "hey, hey, hey". The giggle and speed away as the one in the drivers side throws some
> litter back my way.
>
> It is really weird how perceptive one is on the bike, because of a constant, heightened sense of
> awareness.
>
> Kerry "I wish my generalizations didn't come true" Nikolaisen

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:46:46 -0400, "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Clearly, crossing an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're
> invisible and proceed accordingly...

One sound survival strategy is always to conduct yourself among motor vehicles as though you were
invisible to the driver.

Just because you're paranoid dosen't mean they aren't actually out to get you.

In article <[email protected]>,
Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> writes:
> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 23:46:46 -0400, "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Clearly, crossing an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're
>> invisible and proceed accordingly...
>
> One sound survival strategy is always to conduct yourself among motor vehicles as though you were
> invisible to the driver.

But then, how does a cyclist effect a well lane-positioned left turn from a 4-way stop? If you're
invisible to the driver behind you,
he'll run you over to get to the stop line. If you're invisible to the oncoming straight-through
driver, he'll run you over as you make your turn. And if you're invisible to the cross
traffic, they'll run you over as you ingress the intersection.

And if you're *acting* as if you're invisible, you're cowering in the right-hand gutter, waiting for
there to be no traffic at all before proceeding. And the right-hand gutter is not a place from which
to hang a left. Might as well make a pedestrian box-turn.

So, I respectfully disagree. 4-ways are not a place to be (or act as if) invisible. They're a place
to be loud-&-proud. Let me repeat that: they're a place to be loud-&-proud.

Furthermore, I've learnt to not signal my left turn intentions while stopped at 4-ways. It just
befuddles and empuzzles all the other drivers. I just go as the oncomer goes, then signal, and make
my turn behind the oncomer. I still have my skin on. It works. Or has, heretofore.

cheers, & a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man [Jebediah Springfield], Tom
>

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

>So, I respectfully disagree.

I agree with your disagreement, the problems involved with purported invisibility are too numerous
to mention, seriously. I'd be glad to talk about this in another thread but right now I'm too tired
to engage the issue, maybe we can do this another time.

The essential fact is that we are not invisible nor are we the sort of superheroes who can become so
on demand, we are ordinary people riding bicycles.

The strategies we use to, yes, stay alive aren't rocket science.

But it isn't about invisibility. It's about taking charge of the environment, mastering the
challenge, and getting on down the road.

It's a sport. It's about victory. If you don't get that aspect of cycling then you just plain don't
get cycling.

That's my opinion, and as I said I'm probably too tired to talk about this right now.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

Zippy the Pinhead <[email protected]> wrote:

>One sound survival strategy is always to conduct yourself among motor vehicles as though you were
>invisible to the driver.

This is good advice for a motorcyclist, and one that I practiced all the time when riding
motorcycles. It doesn't work for cyclists, who cannot keep up with motorized traffic in most
circumstances.

We have to depend on drivers seeing us, which is why wearing outstanding clothing, and using both
lights and reflectors at night, is a must.

"J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I had an identical near miss, except it was a house frau in a Mercedes turning at a 4-way stop
> during rush hour in Potomac, MD. From the complete look of surprise on her face as I vented my
> anger, it was clear that never saw me. I think 4-way stops are complicated for drivers: cars are
> entering from all sides with each driver trying to decide when to move forward vs. everyone else.
> In the meantime, drivers don't expect to see cyclists and so we're simply not "seen." Clearly,
> crossing an intersection with a 4-way stop is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're invisible
> and proceed accordingly... JAZ

4-way stops may be slightly complicated, but pretending invisibility isn't the solution. I believe
the cyclist should, instead, look and act like a confident, legal road user who _will_ take his
right of way. Be there and be real!

I approach a 4-way stop by taking the lane. I don't want anyone thinking they're going to come along
side and drag-race me to get past, and I definitely don't want anyone hitting me with a right hook.

I give everybody the eye as I'm approaching. Usually, there's little doubt who has the ROW (based on
arrival time). If it's me, I'll be conspicuously looking at the other drivers as I take my turn. On
a few occasions, I've shaken my head at someone who looked like they were going to try to cheat.
Rarely, I've had to yell.

I try to avoid "You go... No, you go..." types of disputes. If the motorists are not sure whether
they should take their ROW - for example, if arrival time is a tie, and they're on the right, and
unsure the crazy guy on a bike will stop - I wave them through as I'm still approaching. I know the
rules, I know I'll stop, and I don't mind taking charge if all it means is reinforcing the laws.

OTOH, if the rules say I've got the ROW, I won't stop for more than a fraction of a second. In
particular, if traffic is backed up so people really are having to take turns, I take my turn very
quickly. I'll usually start out before the previous car is even out of the way.

And BTW - if it's _not_ a 4-way, but a regular 2-way stop and I have the ROW, I will not coast! Even
if it's a downhill, I'll "soft pedal" so they see that I am really coming through - that I have no
intention of relinquishing my ROW.

Don't be invisible. Be confident in the rules, and take control of the situation. If you're good on
a bike, you'll know more about what to do than most drivers. Use the rules of the road to your
advantage.

- Frank Krygowski

I'm afraid my comment about cyclists being invisible to drivers was misunderstood. I certainly agree
that cyclists must do whatever they can to be noticed, and I also get to the center of the lane at
stop signs (I don't "cower" in the gutter!) and try to establish eye contact with drivers. I simply
don't assume that I'm actually SEEN by drivers.

JAZ

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I had an identical near miss, except it was a house frau in a Mercedes turning at a 4-way stop
> > during rush hour in Potomac, MD. From the
complete
> > look of surprise on her face as I vented my anger, it was clear that
never
> > saw me. I think 4-way stops are complicated for drivers: cars are
entering
> > from all sides with each driver trying to decide when to move forward
vs.
> > everyone else. In the meantime, drivers don't expect to see cyclists and
so
> > we're simply not "seen." Clearly, crossing an intersection with a 4-way
stop
> > is dangerous and cyclists must assume they're invisible and proceed accordingly... JAZ
>
> 4-way stops may be slightly complicated, but pretending invisibility isn't the solution. I believe
> the cyclist should, instead, look and act like a confident, legal road user who _will_ take his
> right of way. Be there and be real!
>
> I approach a 4-way stop by taking the lane. I don't want anyone thinking they're going to come
> along side and drag-race me to get past, and I definitely don't want anyone hitting me with a
> right hook.
>
> I give everybody the eye as I'm approaching. Usually, there's little doubt who has the ROW (based
> on arrival time). If it's me, I'll be conspicuously looking at the other drivers as I take my
> turn. On a few occasions, I've shaken my head at someone who looked like they were going to try to
> cheat. Rarely, I've had to yell.
>
> I try to avoid "You go... No, you go..." types of disputes. If the motorists are not sure
> whether they should take their ROW - for example, if arrival time is a tie, and they're on the
> right, and unsure the crazy guy on a bike will stop - I wave them through as I'm still
> approaching. I know the rules, I know I'll stop, and I don't mind taking charge if all it means
> is reinforcing the laws.
>
> OTOH, if the rules say I've got the ROW, I won't stop for more than a fraction of a second. In
> particular, if traffic is backed up so people really are having to take turns, I take my turn very
> quickly. I'll usually start out before the previous car is even out of the way.
>
>
> And BTW - if it's _not_ a 4-way, but a regular 2-way stop and I have the ROW, I will not coast!
> Even if it's a downhill, I'll "soft pedal" so they see that I am really coming through - that I
> have no intention of relinquishing my ROW.
>
> Don't be invisible. Be confident in the rules, and take control of the situation. If you're good
> on a bike, you'll know more about what to do than most drivers. Use the rules of the road to your
> advantage.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

In article <[email protected]>, "J. Zwiebel" <[email protected]> writes:
> I'm afraid my comment about cyclists being invisible to drivers was misunderstood. I certainly
> agree that cyclists must do whatever they can to be noticed, and I also get to the center of the
> lane at stop signs (I don't "cower" in the gutter!) and try to establish eye contact with drivers.
> I simply don't assume that I'm actually SEEN by drivers.

Fair enough.

But I figure 4-way stops actually compel all road users to assume that they /are/ being seen, since
4-way rules require drivers and riders to keep track of what's going on at the intersection. And
besides, 4-way stops are such relatively low-speed affairs, there's plenty of opportunity to assess
the situation, and even to make not-so-panicy-as-ditch-diving evasive maneouvers if really
necessary. So due diligence falls upon us riders to ensure we are not only seen, but seen to be
going with the flow along with everybody else. I guess I just have trouble getting my head around
taking pains to enhance visibility, predictability and communications with the other road users, and
then pretending it's all for nought.

I think it would be suicidal for a truly, non-hypothetically invisible person to hang around in
the midst of traffic. A real invisible person with any sense would be watching Tuscan Sun or some
other new release for free, or repairing his/her credit history. Anywhere that's not the middle
of a street.

Maybe rephrasing "act as if invisible" to "not 100% expect drivers will act predictably" would work?
But still, we might as well act as if all cars are runaway semi tractors with no brakes.

I think I still prefer to deal with what *is* (i.e: all the due diligence I've taken care of
myself), rather than imaginative stretches of what might be. And if we assume we're not seen by the
drivers but we proceed normally anyway, what's the point of all the pretending & guessing?

cheers, Tom

--