Hauling bicycles in an enclosed trailer

ToddP

Jul 30, 2011
Hi,
I'm planning on purchasing an enclosed trailer to haul both my motorcycle as well as our families 6 bicycles. The trailer will have a wheel chock & tie downs for the motorcycle -- but what's the best way to secure the bikes so they aren't getting thrown around? I assume people have similar setups -- did you buy a truck bed or ground type bike rack and mount it inside? Mount the bikes to the walls? An internet search doesn't reveal anything specific to this.
Thanks.

You will need a few fork clamps bolted to the floor and possibly a strap to restrain the rear end. The clamps look like this, but there are certainly a lot of others around. Alternatively a home made substitute can work too (couple of brackets, some threaded rod and nuts).

Only a couple of the bikes have quick release wheels. ( Several of the kids' are WalMart type, and one is a one wheel pull behind type) Looks like the fork mounts would work nicely for the higher end bikes -- but anyone have a simple solution for the cheaper bikes, without taking the wheels off?

On a cross-state tour years ago the veteran tour organizer transported our bikes to the start in a rental truck. He used nothing but ropes to secure about two dozen bikes upright in rows. The truck had large "d-ring" tiedowns along the walls. He secured the rope on one side, then looped it around the brake levers and seat tubes of the row of bikes before securing it to the opposite-wall tiedown cleat, spacing them out by a few inches. The bikes stayed perfectly in place for the all-day trip from Milwaukee to Superior WS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP .

Only a couple of the bikes have quick release wheels.

You only need to undo/redo the front wheels which can still be done with a spanner.