Hautacam 2000 vs. 2006 Times Lance vs pieopoli

EvilJediJ

Jun 15, 2006
EDIT* THESE ARE THE OFFICIAL RACE TIMES. I just scowered the record books and did the math myself

Things to take of note

in 1996 , it was a short and completely flat stage until they reached Hautacam.

In 2000, It was a long, hard ,cold and rainy day that saw many climb with their jackets on...

2008 was a very nice day, but they climed the tourmalet previously.

Riis 34:35
Virenque 35:20
Defaux 35:20
Piepoli 35:52
Ullrich 36:08

Notable 2000 times

Lance 36:22
Moreau 39:27
Zulle 40:06
JanU 40:23

Piepoli & Cobo 37:30
Schleck 37:58
Evans Group 39:47

Oh dear. I feel ill. That makes me feel sick.

EvilJediJ said:
I decided to break out my TDF 2000 DVD's and my stopwatch and record for myself the times up hautacam. I picked out a conspicuous landmark ( a narrow passage between two buildings) about 11.7 km from the top and started timing both on the 2000 Tour and this years.

It should be noted that during the 2000 tour that it had been a long, cold, rainy day in comparison to the much nicer day we had on monday.

Notable 2000 times

Lance 32:34
Zulle 36:21
JanU 36:30

Piopoli & Cobo 33:47
Schleck 34:15
Evans Group 36:04

I think Piepoli and his shadow that day are about to be busted in the next few days, hence the whole team pulling.

Never saw it but it thought that SD in the past few days resembled Astana in last year's Dauphine?

ad9898 said:
I think Piepoli and his shadow that day are about to be busted in the next few days, hence the whole team pulling.
That is my thought. It will at least a few more days before the results come back from Piepoli's Hautacam sample.

SD is run by idiots. The performance was so brazen. Maybe Ricco was destined to get popped no matter what, but the whole team seemed to be tempting fate. Vino and Kash did the same thing. Flying under the radar, Evans-style, seems to be the best strategy these days.

Bro Deal said:
That is my thought. It will at least a few more days before the results come back from Piepoli's Hautacam sample.

SD is run by idiots. The performance was so brazen. Maybe Ricco was destined to get popped no matter what, but the whole team seemed to be tempting fate. Vino and Kash did the same thing. Flying under the radar, Evans-style, seems to be the best strategy these days.

I do remember when Miller rode for them he made references to the "nothing has changed" syndrome.

Hark Mayo et al.

whiteboytrash said:
I do remember when Miller rode for them he made references to the "nothing has changed" syndrome.

Hark Mayo et al.
There was an article about Slipsteam on SI's website. An anonymous rider said his previous team was very dirty. The way the article was written it appeared the statement might have come from either Millar or Danielson. Since Millar was quoted the most in the article, he was the most likely source.

Bro Deal said:

Possibly the team is thinking that the Piepoli/Cobo test results will not be made public since their team is now out of the race. Maybe they worked out a deal. I wondered about that possibility back when Pantani won the Ventoux stage his last year as well, dropped out a few days later.

Hopefully the French testing lab holds no mercy. Make everything public. Show the Spainards how it's done, **** on the cheaters. Test every damn one of the riders.

if you guys didnt see poulidor's thread, it has the official times... I am going to re-edit my first post

Oh dear, looking at the edited post, Piepoli couldn't have been more obvious if he had a needle sticking out of his arm, watch for the bust in a few days when they test Hautacam samples, unless of course a deal has been done with the team pulling.

I've seen a website a while back that contained ride times/records for these big climbs?
I've done a few searches over the last couple of days but not found it, does anybody know of such a site?

Fir the Tourmalet earlier on the same stage as the Hautacam
Remy Di Gregorio from the early breakaway did the climb in 0:52:45
The GC group did the climb in 0:51:00

Whilst it's mid stage and nobody really having a solid go how does that compare to other years?
(hence why I was trying to find some climb records :p )

EvilJediJ said:

Piepoli & Cobo 37:30
Schleck 37:58
Evans Group 39:47
Were did you find these times.
I had Piepoli at 39:45.

Piepoli & Cobo started the climb with the main GC group of Evans and Menchov, who ended up 2:30 behind at the finish line. Which would give them 42:15

I only took the times from live TV so could be way out for all I know.

A friend of mine was up on the Hautacam at the time and had ridden it the day prior and wanted to know what times they did so I took a few times from the TV.

TRev S,

my times are taken from about km closer to the finish. Which would explain the discrepency.

I am just curious, wha't was the time of Leblanc and Indurain in 1994 ?