have a heart?

David L

Guest
just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?

Dave

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:01:08 +0000, David L wrote:

> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
>

> Dave

What, to see if its still going? I can usually feel it trying to burst out of my chest,
don't need one.

But seriously, it would go from 50% Max to 95% Max over and over and over. "Time at target hear
rate" would be a measure of how many times you cycled between 50 to 90% and back. I think they make
more sense on the road.

-Bruce

David L wrote:
> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
>

> Dave

I'm buying one very soon, but mostly for training and road riding. If I find its really helpful, I
might use it on training mtb rides. I'm curious to see how my asthma attacks affect my heart rate,
and if I can see the warning signs earlier and maybe prevent myself from getting attacks. My
technique so far is to go until I get one, rest for 15 minutes or so, and then I'm good for a few
hours, if a little drained and anaerobic from the attack. Much better than trying to stay under the
attack, which just leads to lots of symptoms without actually peaking... so it lasts a heck of a lot
longer. If I can see the warning signs earlier, maybe I can take a hit off the inhaler earlier, and
prevent it from ever happening.

Jon Bond

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?

Yeah, I wore mine once to see how our little off-road adventures compared to my road races. Still
got the printout of the graph somewhere... The average intensity was a fair bit lower and compared
to say a criterium race, the graph had lots of peaks and troughs rather than a constant, flat line
of high intensity. Obvious really given that mtb'ing generally climbs something and descends, climbs
and descends and a crit is essentially flat and unless there are breakaways, there are no real peaks
until the final sprint. A proper road race has more peaks than a crit but not the same amount as an
mtb ride. The intensity in road races is a lot higher (for
me).

I could probably give you an example of the graphs or you could search the web for some.

I probably wont be taking the HRM out often though because the $550 Polar 710 is more expensive than
my $300 mtb!!! :-D

hip

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:01:08 -0000, "David L" <[email protected]> wrote:

>just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
>

>Dave

I where one when I'm training or want to baseline an/or chart any progress, and not just
while MTBing.

Very, very useful training aide.

:-]

David L wrote:

> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
>
> Dave

Just starting too wear one. So far it seems to give good data. Most of my riding is in the range
that does not really help aerobically or aerobically. Trying ot fix that. I'm trying to ride easier
wen it will help overall. I don't want it to take away from the fun though.

i do ,but since i also road ride and run, not that surprising i suppose. also wear one on my commute
each way to try to stop me being completely knackered by friday!

In article <[email protected]>, "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:01:08 +0000, David L wrote:
>
> > just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
> >

> > Dave
>
> What, to see if its still going? I can usually feel it trying to burst out of my chest, don't
> need one.
>
> But seriously, it would go from 50% Max to 95% Max over and over and over. "Time at target hear
> rate" would be a measure of how many times you cycled between 50 to 90% and back. I think they
> make more sense on the road.
>
> -Bruce

Well, HR is a lagging indicator of exertion. I think it would be pretty steady over small changes in
effort (say, the steady flow of pedal, hop, pedal of an XC trail with minor obstacles), and very
useful on noteworthy climbs.

I'll let y'all know, since I intend to do all my serious riding this season with a Cateye CC-100
transmitter belt across my chest.

bruce edge wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:01:08 +0000, David L wrote:
>
> > just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
> >

> > Dave

I wear one, but only for recording purposes when off-road. I turn off the beeps and use it to record
my avg, max, and zone heart rates, just for giggles.

When on-road or stationary, I actually try to ride in certain zones.

Barry

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I'll let y'all know, since I intend to do all my **serious riding this season with a Cateye CC-100
> transmitter belt across my chest.

Yes, I too would find it hard to have a **fun and smiley ride with a belt around my chest.

Shaun aRe - **Seriously.

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?

I use a Polar 710 most of the time now. The gear helps to keep me training pretty honest in a few
ways. When training with friends, it can be difficult to slow down. Usually if you're going to hard,
your buddy (Scott) will catch up and check out the hrm. "slow the hell down!" lol. Having a power
output option is nice too. No blaming the head wind for going slow. I should take the power option
off my road bike and attach it to the DHi. It would be interesting to see how much harder it really
is to pedal up hill! I still think a DHi could be ridden at the Trans Rockies Challenge....

Shaun Bell

Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> David L wrote:
> > just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
> >

> > Dave
> >

> I'm buying one very soon, but mostly for training and road riding. If I find its really helpful, I
> might use it on training mtb rides. I'm curious to see how my asthma attacks affect my heart rate,
> and if I can see the warning signs earlier and maybe prevent myself from getting attacks. My
> technique so far is to go until I get one, rest for 15 minutes or so, and then I'm good for a few
> hours, if a little drained and anaerobic from the attack. Much better than trying to stay under
> the attack, which just leads to lots of symptoms without actually peaking... so it lasts a heck of
> a lot longer. If I can see the warning signs earlier, maybe I can take a hit off the inhaler
> earlier, and prevent it from ever happening.
>
> Jon Bond

Sounds smart! /s

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:51:13 -0500, Carla A-G wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
>> Fan Club
>
> But are you a fan of Fabritzio Ratsolini, infamous DH superstar?:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/jknobbie/ratso.html
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Got any pics of him on the bike?

I'd pay money to see him on the bike in the air.....and fabritzio goes for the one hander....never
mind. He'd probably need therapy afterwards.

-Bruce

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:51:13 -0500, Carla A-G wrote:
>
> > "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
> >> Fan Club
> >
> > But are you a fan of Fabritzio Ratsolini, infamous DH superstar?:
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/jknobbie/ratso.html
> >
> > - CA-G
> >
> > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
>
> Got any pics of him on the bike?

Its kinda hard to get a vigilante, overweight hamster to ride a bike...trust me, we've tried...

> I'd pay money to see him on the bike in the air.....and fabritzio goes for the one hander....never
> mind. He'd probably need therapy afterwards.

He likes to base jump off things...the couch, the kitchen table, his cage...so he's not unfamiliar
with catching air...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

"David L" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> just wondering how many mountain bikers wear heart monitors?
>

> Dave

I have used one for some time. I use it to spin/jog to create a baseline. I then really only pay
attention when I climb on the trails. Whether scientific or not, I can judge my health(cold coming
on, fatigue, stress, etc.) by how well my heart recovers from a spike during intervals or a severe
trail climb. I got the monitor for christmas 2 years ago and panicked when I saw 180 bpm in the
spring. I was worried I was killing myself. My doctor ordered a stress test just to ease my fear. I
was the only 3rd person at the hospital that year (~April) that finished the inclined run portion
of the test. The cardiologist gave me a stamp of approval healthwise and said to definately
continue riding. She also told me if my heart has 1.steady beat 2.it rises in a steady fashion and
3. recovers from an interval in a quick fashion, it is a good sign of a healthy heart. She
suggested I watch those things. Then, she rattled off some gobblygook that she also looks for as
she monitors the test.

Brad and Julie Vaughn Man I wish St. Louis weather would improve...

I wear one on the road bike, but wondering if it could be used to give me faith in the middle of a
ride. "You wuss, at that level you should be going a lot faster...." and the like.

Thanks for all the input,

Dave

Certainly wont be watching it like on the road bike. TREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!