Have a newbie question about rings

Lobo Tommy

Guest
I've noticed that on more than one occasion I've heard
someone say, "I wish I could afford this bike but because it
comes with a triple ring it costs too much." (I think LeMond
Propad was a common one with this expression)

Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
not, what is it?

>Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
>not, what is it?

A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the pedals
spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big outer one for
all the fit types to use to spped along at a great rate of
knots, a middle sized one for normal mortals to use and a
little one for unfit types to use to help them get uphill...
which would be me ;-)

See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
z.html#triple

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
correct one remove fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
is switched off--

Oh, so thats what the middle and large ones are for.

;-)

Sniffinvinyl

-----------------
Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040419170900.07231.00000018@mb-
m02.aol.com...
> >Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
> >not, what is it?
>
> A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the
> pedals spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big outer
> one for all the fit types to use to spped along at a great
> rate of knots, a middle sized one for normal
mortals to
> use and a little one for unfit types to use to help them
> get uphill...
which
> would be me ;-)
>
> See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
> z.html#triple
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
> correct one remove fame & fortune
> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
>
> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
> tunnel is switched
off--

Well if that's what the large one is for, then what are you
supposed to use to fray the bottom of your pants and snip
your shoe laces?

SniffinVinyl wrote:
> Oh, so thats what the middle and large ones are for.
>
> ;-)
>
> Sniffinvinyl
>
> -----------------
> Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .
>

> "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040419170900.07231.00000018@mb-
> m02.aol.com...
>>> Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer?
>>> If not, what is it?
>>
>> A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the
>> pedals spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big
>> outer one for all the fit types to use to spped along at
>> a great rate of knots, a middle sized one for normal
>> mortals to use and a little one for unfit types to use to
>> help them get uphill... which would be me ;-)
>>
>> See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
>> z.html#triple
>>
>> Cheers, helen s
>>

>> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
>> correct one remove fame & fortune
>> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
>>
>> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
>> tunnel is switched off--

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Well if that's what the large one is for, then what are
> you supposed to use to fray the bottom of your pants and
> snip your shoe laces?

They're dual-purpose, so all riders can get a benefit from
them <GGG>.

Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
address before replying!

For sale - middle and large chain rings, like new, never
used, best offer. <gggg>

Sniffinvinyl
----------
Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .

news:[email protected]...

On 19 Apr 2004 13:58:27 -0700, [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:
>I've noticed that on more than one occasion I've heard
>someone say, "I wish I could afford this bike but because
>it comes with a triple ring it costs too much." (I think
>LeMond Propad was a common one with this expression)

I've never heard that. Inexpensive bikes all come with
triple rings; and the expensive bikes that come with doubles
are usually offered in triples for barely more ($20 more on
a $1000 or $3000 bike).
--
Rick Onanian