Have a newbie question about rings

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Lobo Tommy, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Lobo Tommy

    Lobo Tommy Guest

    I've noticed that on more than one occasion I've heard
    someone say, "I wish I could afford this bike but because it
    comes with a triple ring it costs too much." (I think LeMond
    Propad was a common one with this expression)

    Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
    not, what is it?

    Tags:

  2. >Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
    >not, what is it?

    A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the pedals
    spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big outer one for
    all the fit types to use to spped along at a great rate of
    knots, a middle sized one for normal mortals to use and a
    little one for unfit types to use to help them get uphill...
    which would be me ;-)

    See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
    z.html#triple

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove fame & fortune

    --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel
    is switched off--

  3. Sniffinvinyl

    Sniffinvinyl Guest

    Oh, so thats what the middle and large ones are for.

    ;-)

    Sniffinvinyl

    -----------------
    Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m02.aol.com...
    > >Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer? If
    > >not, what is it?
    >
    > A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the
    > pedals spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big outer
    > one for all the fit types to use to spped along at a great
    > rate of knots, a middle sized one for normal
    mortals to
    > use and a little one for unfit types to use to help them
    > get uphill...
    which
    > would be me ;-)
    >
    > See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
    > z.html#triple
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    > correct one remove fame & fortune
    > h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$
    >
    > --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
    > tunnel is switched
    off--

  4. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Well if that's what the large one is for, then what are you
    supposed to use to fray the bottom of your pants and snip
    your shoe laces?

    SniffinVinyl wrote:
    > Oh, so thats what the middle and large ones are for.
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > Sniffinvinyl
    >
    > -----------------
    > Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .
    >

    > "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:200404191[email protected]
    > m02.aol.com...
    >>> Is the triple chain ring the same as a front derailer?
    >>> If not, what is it?
    >>
    >> A triple chainring is exactly that. the bit where the
    >> pedals spin round - there's three chainwheels. A big
    >> outer one for all the fit types to use to spped along at
    >> a great rate of knots, a middle sized one for normal
    >> mortals to use and a little one for unfit types to use to
    >> help them get uphill... which would be me ;-)
    >>
    >> See the oracle on cycling at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-
    >> z.html#triple
    >>
    >> Cheers, helen s
    >>

    >> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    >> correct one remove fame & fortune
    >> h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$
    >>
    >> --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the
    >> tunnel is switched off--

  5. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Well if that's what the large one is for, then what are
    > you supposed to use to fray the bottom of your pants and
    > snip your shoe laces?

    They're dual-purpose, so all riders can get a benefit from
    them <GGG>.

    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
    address before replying!

  6. Sniffinvinyl

    Sniffinvinyl Guest

    For sale - middle and large chain rings, like new, never
    used, best offer. <gggg>

    Sniffinvinyl
    ----------
    Remain sane - cycle your brains out . . .

    "David Kerber" <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Well if that's what the large one is for, then what are
    > > you supposed to
    use
    > > to fray the bottom of your pants and snip your shoe
    > > laces?
    >
    > They're dual-purpose, so all riders can get a benefit from
    > them <GGG>.

    > Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
    > address before replying!
    >
    > REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 19 Apr 2004 13:58:27 -0700, [email protected] (Lobo Tommy) wrote:
    >I've noticed that on more than one occasion I've heard
    >someone say, "I wish I could afford this bike but because
    >it comes with a triple ring it costs too much." (I think
    >LeMond Propad was a common one with this expression)

    I've never heard that. Inexpensive bikes all come with
    triple rings; and the expensive bikes that come with doubles
    are usually offered in triples for barely more ($20 more on
    a $1000 or $3000 bike).
    --
    Rick Onanian