have a spare QBP catalog?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, May 10, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    More and more these days i find myself wanting to know the range of available components, instead of
    just jumping from manufacturer site to site, or going into the lbs and peeking at their qbp copy.

    does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local bike
    shop doesn't.

    anthony

    Tags:

  2. Bob Shanteau

    Bob Shanteau Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > More and more these days i find myself wanting to know the range of available components,
    > instead of just jumping from manufacturer site to site, or going into the lbs and peeking at
    > their qbp copy.
    >
    > does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local bike shop
    > doesn't.
    >
    > anthony

    Harris Cyclery, among many others, has the QBP catalog online:

    http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49

  3. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > More and more these days i find myself wanting to know the
    range of
    > available components, instead of just jumping from
    manufacturer site
    > to site, or going into the lbs and peeking at their qbp
    copy.

    > does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season
    copy, that i
    > could have? the local bike shop doesn't.
    >
    > anthony

    Also try A. E. Bike - best prices around....

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30

  4. J. Price

    J. Price Guest

    [email protected] (ant) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > More and more these days i find myself wanting to know the range of available components,
    > instead of just jumping from manufacturer site to site, or going into the lbs and peeking at
    > their qbp copy.
    >
    > does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local bike shop
    > doesn't.
    >
    >....................Buy one from www.branfordbike.com

  5. ant-<< does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local bike
    shop doesn't.

    QBP makes a consumer catalog, ask your LBS to buy you one.

  6. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:

    > ant-<< does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local
    > bike shop doesn't.
    >
    > QBP makes a consumer catalog, ask your LBS to buy you one.

    *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?

  7. Jim Edgar

    Jim Edgar Guest

    Richard Ney at [email protected] wrote on 5/11/03 7:37 AM:

    > Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:
    >
    >> ant-<< does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local
    >> bike shop doesn't.
    >>
    >> QBP makes a consumer catalog, ask your LBS to buy you one.
    >
    > *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?

    No. They charge to cover their printing costs on the consumer catalog. That isn't free.

  8. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    Jim Edgar writes:

    >> Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:
    >>
    >>> ant-<< does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local
    >>> bike shop doesn't.
    >>>
    >>> QBP makes a consumer catalog, ask your LBS to buy you one.
    >>
    >> *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?
    >
    > No. They charge to cover their printing costs on the consumer catalog. That isn't free.

    Pshaw!

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Jim Edgar <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAE3B2B7.417EE%[email protected]>...
    > Richard Ney at [email protected] wrote on 5/11/03 7:37 AM:
    >
    > > Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:
    > >
    > >> ant-<< does anyone have an extra copy, or even a last season copy, that i could have? the local
    > >> bike shop doesn't.
    > >>
    > >> QBP makes a consumer catalog, ask your LBS to buy you one.
    > >
    > > *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?
    >
    > No. They charge to cover their printing costs on the consumer catalog. That isn't free.

    And considering the amount of detailed, relatively unbiased technical information that's in the QBP
    catalog, well worth the cost.

    I have a 2002 copy sitting by my couch. Much more useful and entertaining than Bicycling magazine
    and more fun than surfing the online catalog. Who wants to spend more time in front of the computer?

    Jeff

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?

    One of fifty reasons I do not have an account there.

  11. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Richard-<< *Buy* him one? They actually charge for the privilege of selling stuff?
    >
    > The consumer catalog from Quality is not free to the bike shop, as is the catalog with prices...

    Not only is it not free, but some shops deal with many suppliers. There are other distributors other
    than QBP, some bike manufacturers deal with accessories under different names than the bikes, and
    some stuff is obtained direct from the manufacturer. QBP is one of the largest wholesalers, but
    certainly isn't the only one.

    However, some brands may be exclusive to a certain wholesaler. So, if QBP has an exclusive on
    something, no QBP account equals no product.

    As an alternate to the catalog, ask if your LBS uses Bike-A-Log. Bike-A-Log can be run in retail
    mode, and can give some idea of what may be available if you're looking for a range of items.
    Unfortunately, even Bike-A-Log is missing some excellent manufacturers.

    Barry

  12. Doug

    Doug Guest

    >>You know, I started this week with a long rant about Bicycling magazine, and I stand by all of it.
    >>But then, this week, they had an amazing, wonderful article about Sean Obree, ill-starred hour
    >>record cyclist.

    That was indeed a good article, and surprising to find in there.

    >now its a neon girly magazine full of 50-word articles and cheesy reviews.

    The "style dude" (or whatever) section and basic writing style seem to be appealing to a superhip
    early to mid 20's crowd that has a short attention span and responds to the cliched in-your-face
    stuff and what's chic.

    Of course, we all enter our 30's and beyond and have less time for and interest in mag
    reading, leading to the inevitable case where 20-somethings and their peculiarities dominate
    the target audience. I am more disappointed in the cycling audience of today than the mag
    trying to cater to it.

    Doug

  13. Donald Gillies wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >You know, I started this week with a long rant about Bicycling magazine, and I stand by all of
    > >it. But then, this week, they had an amazing, wonderful article about Sean Obree, ill-starred
    > >hour record cyclist.
    >
    > Yeah, imho the article by obree was a fluke. bicycling used to be filled with tech information,
    > frank berto, et. al, and now its a neon girly magazine full of 50-word articles and cheesy
    > reviews.

    50 words? I thought it was 7 words about the bike. <G>

    Barry