Have helmet laws put the skids on Australia’s bike share scheme?

Fronj

May 11, 2011
Chris Rissel, Professor of Public Health from the University of Sydney argues: "Given there is clear evidence from around the world of substantial health benefits and minimal risk from public bicycle share schemes, Australia should allow an exemption of the mandatory helmet legislation for such schemes." Read more and share your views here: http://theconversation.edu.au/have-helmet-laws-put-the-skids-on-australias-bike-share-scheme-2703

I left Australia just when this law was coming into effect

All adults must where a helmet - correct?

So you're supposed to wander around with a helmet all the time in case you want to use one of the shared bikes? That makes about as much sense as a car share program requiring that you provide your own seat.

Originally Posted by KD5NRH .

So you're supposed to wander around with a helmet all the time in case you want to use one of the shared bikes? That makes about as much sense as a car share program requiring that you provide your own seat.

A lot of the people who use these bikes are regular users and surely are capable of a bit of advanced planning. This is optional for their own safety and they can figure out how to deal with it or they don't have to take one of the free helmets. The very occasional users probably won't wear one. What alternative can you suggest as I don't think leaving helmets with the bikes will be popular.

Originally Posted by AlanG .

A lot of the people who use these bikes are regular users and surely are capable of a bit of advanced planning. This is optional for their own safety and they can figure out how to deal with it or they don't have to take one of the free helmets. The very occasional users probably won't wear one. What alternative can you suggest as I don't think leaving helmets with the bikes will be popular.
Not having mandatory helmet laws, as proven to work in 99% of countries round the world.

Also shown to be very successful, and very safe in bike share schemes in Paris, Dublin, Madrid, Barcelona and so on

Or, in the face of leaving MHL's in place, an exemption for share bike users.