Have I been ripped off by online bike store?

monsterman wrote:

> Indeed, but the website mentions "Bikes Direct Pty Ltd", and ASIC names
> register searches indicate there is not (and has never been) a company
> of that name. I think that's the point Roadie Scum is making ... ...
>
> Monster(corporate governance police)man

Well, would you buy stuff from Bikes Direct Family Trust? What's in a
name?

Donga

Donga said:
monsterman wrote:

> Indeed, but the website mentions "Bikes Direct Pty Ltd", and ASIC names
> register searches indicate there is not (and has never been) a company
> of that name. I think that's the point Roadie Scum is making ... ...
>
> Monster(corporate governance police)man

Well, would you buy stuff from Bikes Direct Family Trust? What's in a
name?

Donga
Nup. Bottom line for me is only buy from places that I have had direct positive feedback from trusted sources. Like you, Donga.

PM me your mobile number so that we can catch up at the start of Amy's ride. I'm putting together a nice little gruppetto who are just in it for a social, chatty pace. Sounds like the go for you if your young fella is coming along??

Donga said:
monsterman wrote:

> Indeed, but the website mentions "Bikes Direct Pty Ltd", and ASIC names
> register searches indicate there is not (and has never been) a company
> of that name. I think that's the point Roadie Scum is making ... ...
>
> Monster(corporate governance police)man

Well, would you buy stuff from Bikes Direct Family Trust? What's in a
name?

Donga
What's in a name? Accurate representation of a corporate identity, rather than pretending to be a real company when you're not. Registering a Business Name costs bugger all, if they can't afford the $800 fee for being a real company.

And now for the other end of the spectrum. I ordered a few DVDs for
Christmas presents yesterday afternoon from ezydvd.com. They said they
were doing stocktakes so there may be some delay. The DVD's were sitting
at my front door when I got up this morning! I assume that if it
wasn't for the delay (to borrow from Monty Python) they would have
arrived 1/2 an hour before I ordered them.

DaveB

Umm... I've got a couple of hardly used panniers I'm trying to get rid
of! I don't accept credit cards :)

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

I bought a set of panniers off this guy through ebay. I picked them up at his house which IIRC was in Croyden/Chirnside Park somewhere. The deal was perfect in every respect.

just us wrote:
> Finally got an email! In fact I got 2. First one said he was sorry with
> order, everything has been sent. 6 minutes later there was a second email.
> It said his wife had had a baby, he had not been in the office, had received
> email with my order in it, and that he will send the order out tomorrow . So
> who knows - presumably I wait again. Thanks for the info on getting $$ back
> from your credit card. It has appeared on my statement so I presumed there
> was no way of getting it back.
> Kathy

Hi Kathy, this is Ken from Canada,

Something worse happened to me while bicycling across to Darwin. By the
time I got to Hells Gate I could not use my CC. In the previous week
while bicycling between Burketown and Hells Gate my CC was stopped by
the bank here in Canada. I had cash so continued to Borroloola and then
started telephoning Canada (at my expense) to find out what happened.

Apparently someone "stole the details" from my CC during one of the
transactions and then those details were used for several small
purchases to see if the card worked .... then in a few quick
transactions $15000 was spent in Europe. In the meantime I was in the
Gulf region of QLD. When the bank found out what had happened I did NOT
have to pay anything that was charged to me. I just switched to American
Express and cash until I returned to Canada.

A new Mastercard was issued to me and was waiting for me { :) } when
I returned home. So to cut to the quick, Kathy, your money was always
"safe" and all you had to do was to alert the original vendor and if
that would not have solved the issue then you just would have contacted
your bank or CC issuer and they would have done the chargeback thing....

Apparently your (and my) situations happen every day in the credit card
business. A high school chum now does VISA CC security stuff after a
career in military computer security/encription stuff.

As an aside, it has been about -20C here and several of my fellow
teachers are still bicycling to school. Mind you they use Schwalbe
studded tires - and yes, they do break into a bit of a sweat if they
bicycle too fast.

Ken, Canada

jur wrote:
> I bought a set of panniers off this guy through ebay. I picked them up
> at his house which IIRC was in Croyden/Chirnside Park somewhere. The
> deal was perfect in every respect.

I have well over 200 purchases on e-bay. I have been treated well on
purchases from AU, UK, USA and here in Canada. Only once did I get
screwed - my someone in Tassie who "sold" me a Daddy Cool EP (the one
with the fold-up cover and candy-cane) for $10 plus postage. He sold 5
items to 5 people on e-bay and then de-registered and "dropped out of
sight" so there was no recourse. I unfortunately did not pay with Paypal
or CC so...

OTOH, everyone else sold me according to the "rules" and did prompt
remittances when something fell through on their (the vendor's) part.
Most of my purchases have been LPs etc from Australia - the postage was
expensive but then I have LOTS of old AU records :) I have paid several
hundreds of $$ in individual purchases, and several $1000s in total, and
have been treated well so far.