have my legs stretched???

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Parsons, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Mark Parsons

    Mark Parsons Guest

    i haven't been on my bike much this winter, but in the last month or so i've steadily been putting
    in the miles. especially in the last week and taking advantage of the fine weather. however i've had
    to put my seat post up about 3mm compared to the position i had it during the winter. i feel like my
    legs have stretched due to the increase in milage and subsequent fitness!!! is this possible?

    mark

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity mark parsons scribbled:

    > i haven't been on my bike much this winter, but in the last month or so i've steadily been putting
    > in the miles. especially in the last week and taking advantage of the fine weather. however i've
    > had to put my seat post up about 3mm compared to the position i had it during the winter. i feel
    > like my legs have stretched due to the increase in milage and subsequent fitness!!! is this
    > possible?
    >
    > mark

    Unlikely .. ;)

    You've maybe got more supple, pliant, bendy, swapped some fatty tissue for some muscle etc etc .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1526 Seti work units in 11416 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  3. 3mm is not a lot. Your legs have not stretched unless you are young, like under 21. Have you thicker
    soled shoes? Has the seatpost slipped? Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost
    overnight?

    I think we should be told...

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    mark parsons <[email protected]> wrote:

    : however i've had to put my seat post up about 3mm compared to the position i had it during the
    : winter. i feel like my legs have stretched due to the increase in milage and subsequent fitness!!!

    Most people have their seatpost a little lower in winter due to the greater thickness of clothing
    worn (ie short + thick bib tights v just shorts).

    3mm isn't a lot.

    Arthur

    Lord Lester

  5. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    mark parsons <[email protected]> wrote in news:BAA54E82.2EE12%[email protected]:

    > <snip>i feel like my legs have stretched due to the increase in milage and subsequent fitness!!!
    > is this possible?

    Along the lines of Lardy Ninja's recent post, have you had a gradual decrease in shouts of "lard
    arse!" recently? 3mm isn't much, but that could easily be explained away in terms of slight weight
    loss/reshaping of the arse or maybe just more flexibility. I'm very inflexible and I find that a
    decent cycle ride increases my flexibility enough that I need to increase my saddle height a little
    as the ride progresses. Either that or someone's let the air out of my arse. Hmmm... didn't mean it
    to sound quite like that
    :)

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  6. >Along the lines of Lardy Ninja's recent post, have you had a gradual decrease in shouts of "lard
    >arse!" recently?

    Tis true - lose weight & you can seem to "grow" in heigh slightly due to less gravity pulling
    the frame downwards :) You can also decrease in shoe size too - I didn't believe it until it
    happened to me!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  7. Panda

    Panda Guest

    well since i started commuting on one bike, my road bike seat post has been raised by about 6mm. not
    sure why either

    panda

    "mark parsons" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BAA54E82.2EE12%[email protected]...
    > i haven't been on my bike much this winter, but in the last month or so
    i've
    > steadily been putting in the miles. especially in the last week and taking advantage of the fine
    > weather. however i've had to put my seat post up about 3mm compared to the position i had it
    > during the winter. i feel like my legs have stretched due to the increase in milage and subsequent
    > fitness!!! is this possible?
    >
    > mark

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > well since i started commuting on one bike, my road bike seat post has
    been
    > raised by about 6mm. not sure why either

    Probably because it was too low initially !!

  9. Mark Parsons

    Mark Parsons Guest

    mmm...yes i have lost weight and gained muscle, clothing thickness hasnt changed and my seatpost
    hasnt slipped! i also think that my general flexibility (getting down on the drops etc) has
    improved, and will continue to. i'm concerned due to an extremely dodgy left knee and generally
    dont like playing around with my bike setup when everything feels right. guess things just
    evolve. so in a way this isnt so daft...but what happens when i run out of seat post length :)

    mark

    >> Along the lines of Lardy Ninja's recent post, have you had a gradual decrease in shouts of "lard
    >> arse!" recently?
    >
    > Tis true - lose weight & you can seem to "grow" in heigh slightly due to less gravity pulling
    > the frame downwards :) You can also decrease in shoe size too - I didn't believe it until it
    > happened to me!
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

  10. Panda

    Panda Guest

    i had ridden it happyly for a year, then after lots of commuting it seemed way to short.

    panda

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > well since i started commuting on one bike, my road bike seat post has
    > been
    > > raised by about 6mm. not sure why either
    >
    > Probably because it was too low initially !!

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    mark parsons <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BAA5E9F5.2EE60%[email protected]>...

    > i also think that my general flexibility (getting down on the drops etc) has improved, and will
    > continue to.

    Your legs have not stretched per se, but your muscles and tendons probably have have. Whether they
    will continue to is another matter. Cyclists tend to neglect stretching and are notoriously
    inflexible compared with runners, for example. Have you been stretching as well as just cycling?

    --
    Dave...